Leafs ranked 20th by Hockey's Future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
It says we are 18 right now. And in any case on our top 5 prospects they haven't factored in Rielly yet. Kadri is still our #1 prospect.

Actually forget what I said I'm stupid :laugh:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
These lists mean little. How often has Detroit been at the top? Who would you rather be Minnesota or Oilers? Florida or Rangers? I don't care if we were 1 or 30 TBH

leafspring*

Burke has work to do on our Forward prospects. The rank would be much higher if we categorized. The goalies,and defense is very respectable. The leadership qualities of our top prospects is strong also.

The quality of prospects is not counted in goals,and assists,and thats why this ranking means nothing concerning to me.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Burke has work to do on our Forward prospects. The rank would be much higher if we categorized. The goalies,and defense is very respectable. The leadership qualities of our top prospects is strong also.

The quality of prospects is not counted in goals,and assists,and thats why this ranking means nothing concerning to me.

Pretty fair to say that if the Leafs were ranked #1 many would be pumped.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
These lists mean little. How often has Detroit been at the top? Who would you rather be Minnesota or Oilers? Florida or Rangers? I don't care if we were 1 or 30 TBH

Thank you. Some people get this.

Folks remember this is an opinion. At one point, before Tallon got there, Florida was a top organization along with Columbus Blue jackets. Same with another one called NY Islanders. It's always great to have high picks and high first rounders because you an upper echleon talent in the franchise but that doesn't get you the cup. If you don't believe me look at Islanders, Thrashers, Jackets, Panthers and to some extent even the bolts.

As for Question regarding Oilers or Wilds, wilds didn't get a first overall as well now did they ;)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Gardiner and Frattin graduated from prospect status, so I would assume our ranking took a hit from this.

I still think the Leafs should be between 10 - 15. We simply lack number one goaltending and top line forward prospects, so I guess it's understandable that we're so low.

A lot of Leafs fans get man crushes on their prospects, but reality is most teams are full of mid tier prospects like Leivo, Brown and Cameranesi.

Arathor

Apr 28, 2010
By a pointy tower
Tom Wilson is listed as an elite prospect...mentioned in same sentence as Kuznetsov...

Enough said! What a laughable list and even worse write up

leafspring*

Pretty fair to say that if the Leafs were ranked #1 many would be pumped.

Morgan rielly is something to be pumped about,and the way naz is maturing is a symptom of the quality group he plays with.(quality coaching also) That is getting me pumped too. We have some of the most talked about prospects in three leagues in Kadri/Gardiner,Biggs,and Rielly.

Rielly's warriors have a .470 win percentage,and the third lowest goals for in the western hockey league,but he is third in scoring by defensemen in the league. He is the best defenseman in the WHL.

Rielly/Gardiner with Kadri leaves us only 2 players short of a future top power-play unit strictly using prospects as the qualifier. Thats enough to be pumped about for today i think.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Hockey Future's Leafs note:

20. Toronto Maple Leafs

Strengths: Morgan Rielly leads a strong group of defensive prospects that also includes Matt Finn, Jesse Blacker, and Stuart Percy. In addition, they have a handful of skilled forwards with NHL experience like Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne, and Carter Ashton.

Weaknesses: Many of the forwards are third and fourth line prospects, who have more grittiness than offensive skill. Additionally, Toronto has a fluid situation in net, both on the NHL level, as well as down the pipeline. The strongest netminder in the system is Mark Owuya, but he is off to a very slow start this season and may go the way of many highly touted Maple Leafs' goaltending prospects of the recent past.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Morgan Rielly, D; 2. Nazem Kadri, C; 3. Joe Colborne, C; 4. Jesse Blacker, D; 5. Matt Finn, D.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
DET is still riding the Zetterburg/Datsyuk scouting history well into their 30's. That's a bit much. I wouldn't trade their pool for ours if they threw in a couple 1sts to boot. Their best prospects are 23y/o, and their younger ones like Tatar and Jurco are long shots, IMO.

Reilly/Kadri/Colbourne/Finn/Percy vs Smith/Nyquist/Jurco/Tatar/Jarnkrok

I know who I want.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

The Leafs biggest need for forwards is grit atm, and as the "report card" points out, it's one of the strengths of the current batch of prospects. If one of those players can manage to secure a top 6 role, and a couple of others a bottom 6 role, we're golden. We have plenty of skilled perimeter players on the club.

If Burke can find that elusive #1C from outside, and Kadri (who's now been moved back to center) can take over #2C with Grabo moved over to the wing (where he's playing in the KHL atm), our playmaker dilemmas can be resolved, as well.

Otherwise, I agree with what you've said.

member 147413

Would rather be 20th and know we have impact prospects, then 6th/9th and have our top prospects as Gus/Stalberg etc...

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Remember when a lot of our prospects were 8.0Bs on this site?

Good times

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Take MIN prospects, would you trade Granlund for Reilly? Certainly debatable. Granlund is great, but so is Reilly. I'd put them some where very close to each other.

Take both out of the equation and what pool would you rather have?

Coyle/Brodin/Dumba or Kadri/Colborne/Percy(they have Blacker-I think Percy will be better)

I think MIN gets the slight edge, but it's not 19 spots apart, IMO.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Take MIN prospects, would you trade Granlund for Reilly? Certainly debatable. Granlund is great, but so is Reilly. I'd put them some where very close to each other.

Take both out of the equation and what pool would you rather have?

Coyle/Brodin/Dumba or Kadri/Colborne/Percy(they have Blacker-I think Percy will be better)

I think MIN gets the slight edge, but it's not 19 spots apart, IMO.
Montreal is a better example I think

Both pools are apparently weak enough that their 2nd round picks in the 2012 draft are already their #5 ranked prospects. Their 1st round picks in the 2012 draft are already their #1 ranked prospects.

So the difference between Montreal's 2, 3, 4 (Beaulieu, Leblanc, Tinordi) is almost 12 spots on Toronto. lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Logic Problem.

Take a 26th NHL team in the NHL overall standings, add (+) the 20th ranked prospect pool (@ HF & Hockey News) = Stanley Cup in how many years?

A bottom 5 NHL team (with over 1/2 current team on expiring contracts next season) & a bottom 10 NHL internal prospect pool seems like a long long way from a Cup winning team based on what exists today within in the organization.

Missing vital components like a #1 Centre & #1 Goalie absent from the organization not found in the current prospect pool nor on the current roster another glaring organizational weakness.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Logic Problem.

Take a 26th NHL team in the NHL overall standings, add (+) the 20th ranked prospect pool (@ HF & Hockey News) = Stanley Cup in how many years?

A bottom 5 NHL team (with over 1/2 current team on expiring contracts next season) & a bottom 10 NHL internal prospect pool seems like a long long way from a Cup winning team based on what exists today within in the organization.

Missing vital components like a #1 Centre & #1 Goalie absent from the organization not found in the current prospect pool nor on the current roster another glaring organizational weakness.

The best thing about 18-22 year olds is that anything can happen. I'd say it's close to impossible to accurately predict how they turn out(especially 18 year olds) no matter what a couple of sites say. Everyone matures differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->