TSN: Leafs projected early defensive pairings already set.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Neither Phaneuf nor Franson are mobile or agile.

Other teams would be happy with that.

Actually I made a similar post to yours earlier but if they institute that 5 man offense/defense and the forwards do a good job of back checking, they may try it again, Franson and Phanuef were paired on the PP a lot last year.

Gardiner needs a stay at home partner and Polak is jut that and that pairing could work very well.

Rielly and Robidas is obvious as student and master scenario and they could also play some big games together.

I think they may start out at least trying these pairings but again it will all come down to what happens in Preseason and anything can happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rielly and Robidas is obvious as student and master scenario and they could also play some big games together..

Robidas has been told by management that he will be paired with one of the young PMD Gardiner or Rielly.

Who that might be might be dependent on how much ice time a 37 year old aging player coming off of breaking his leg twice can log at this stage of his career.

If he is now a 3rd pairing 15:00 TOI/g that might mean he is better suited for Rielly then Gardiner who is likely going to log the most TOI/g among Leaf Dmen.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This will change. after game 1

My Crystal Ball is not nearly as clear as yours and truthfully I have had a real problem fitting together Line Combinations and Defense pairings.

With the number of Forwards in camp on contracts, something has got to give and I don't doubt a trade may be a solution, to get a Defenseman, that would fit better with Phanuef.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
My Crystal Ball is not nearly as clear as yours and truthfully I have had a real problem fitting together Line Combinations and Defense pairings.

With the number of Forwards in camp on contracts, something has got to give and I don't doubt a trade may be a solution, to get a Defenseman, that would fit better with Phanuef.

Or Phaneuf may be a solution to find a bona fide top six forward.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
how about this?

Gardiner - Robidas
Granberg - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak

PP: Gardiner - Rielly
PK: Phaneuf - Polak

All 3 pairings could recieve almost equal ice time.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
how about this?

Gardiner - Robidas
Phaneuf - Granberg
Rielly - Polak

PP: Gardiner - Rielly
PK: Phaneuf - Polak

All 3 pairings could recieve almost equal ice time.

Fixed second pairing.

The problem I see is that putting Gardiner and Robidas up there probably means you intend them to face toughest competition, something I doubt they are ready for.

I like the overall balance though.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
^ They aren't paying Phaneuf 7m a season to anchor the 2nd pairing. Not in the first year of his 7 year deal at least.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think it shakes down to this:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
xxx - Polak

xxx will be the left handed D we get for Franson.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I'm surprised people aren't more supportive of the pairings. I think it does a great job of accounting for weaknesses and grouping d-men that can feed off each other.

Grouping Polak and Rielly on the third seems dangerous to me, wouldn't recommend it until Rielly can show he as a defensive game.

And why all the Franson hate, dude has put up great offensive numbers for the leafs, hard to blame him for plus minus when he's paired with a rookie thats learning the game.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Looks like there's more clarity here about Polak's place in the D core, I just thought I'd re-state a few things about Roman.

He'll be fine anywhere except consistent minutes against top opponent forwards 5 on 5 (which seems to be understood). He does not lack foot speed, as someone mentioned. He simply lacks high end situational awareness and stick-handling qualities. He's mediocre at both, which can make him vulnerable to crafty moves/plays which he doesn't always anticipate. It's also situational as to when he's able to compensate for those vulnerabilities using his other strengths, but one way to imagine Roman is as a player who will never have eyes in the back of his head.

On the other hand, you guys will absolutely love him for his strengths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad