McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ever hear of insurance? Lebron only signs 1 year contracts so he can get max every year.
No he doesn't. He signs multi-year contracts that have player options. He then opts out with the player option to sign even bigger contracts.

The NBA salary strucutre is dramatically different from the NHL's. There are incentives for superstars to continuously re-negotiate their deals, as players can always sign for 105% of their previous contract even if their previous contract was a max deal.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
The Jets just had a D-man prospect become the youngest ever player to win the Eddie Shore award in the AHL. I don't think anyone has ever referred to him as a blue chip prospect.

So no. Durzi wouldn't be a blue chip prospect with the Jets either.

You are also making the mistake of thinking that your opinion means more then coaches,management and players he has played with...but keep going. lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I find it hard to believe that they can't go outside of Canada for such a large insurance policy.

It's feasible to do, but having said that, it's still a huge policy, and one that would carry prohibitive premiums. Would the Leafs be interested in paying Tavares $16 million, plus cover a $25 million insurance premium? $41 million for one year of Tavares? Is that even legal in the CBA?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Are you saying that coaches, management, and players he has played with has referred to Durzi as a blue chip prospect?

Go use Google and see what his coaches have said about him and what players said when polled. Then look at his CHL stats and tell people with a straight face that he isn't anything more then an average player at best.

The anti leafs sentiment on here is staggering at time. Even in the face of what the PROFESSIONALS have to say.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Go use Google and see what his coaches have said about him and what players said when polled. Then look at his CHL stats and tell people with a straight face that he isn't anything more then an average player at best.

The anti leafs sentiment on here is staggering at time. Even in the face of what the PROFESSIONALS have to say.
Did they refer to him as a blue chip prospect? Otherwise I'm not really sure you understand what @mcpw or I were arguing. Of course, the bolded straw man tells me that you're not really interested in what we're actually saying.

The only professional that has referred to Durzi that I can find is someone who works for Central Scouting, which had Durzi ranked 37th among NA Skaters. Safe to say that even if Durzi is at the tail end of their blue chip list, they must have thought that this draft had roughly 50 blue chip prospects in it.

Either way, this is off topic. If you want to say that ~30-50 prospects per draft are blue chip prospects, all power to you.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
How is this not tampering?

I mean, of course he isn't paid by the Leafs directly, but he's an errand boy here...

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016

I've Googled it and didn't find any outside sources saying he's a blue chip prospect. The highest I've seen him ranked (after going undrafted last year) is 37th by Central Scouting. Considering he slid to 52 and was ranked lower by some, how can anyone in the right mind think this guy is a can't miss prospect? Of course you'll find stories of his teammates and coaches saying how great he is, but if you're a sure-fire, impactful NHL player, you don't get passed on 51 times. He had a great season, but realistically 2nd rounders have a 44% chance at becoming regular NHL Dmen.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Of course you'll find stories of his teammates and coaches saying how great he is, but if you're a sure-fire, impactful NHL player, you don't get passed on 51 times. He had a great season, but realistically 2nd rounders have a 44% chance at becoming regular NHL Dmen.

Because there never has been a player who as impactful on the NHL level who was passed over many times by many teams.

That list is quite long and distinguished as a matter of fact. There are many players from the 3-7th rounds that have ended having productive NHL careers or even ending up elite HOF players.

Am I saying that he will guaranteed be one of those? No but the chances are still there and he has a better chance of being an NHL reg then some posters here do of being less then biased in their opinions.

It seems like deja vu that that we have more jets fans doing everything they can to shit on anything Leaf related. Keep on keeping on with the HFB tradition.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
No, never heard of insurance... oh, except I'm Insurance licensed.

It's next to impossible to get one of Canada's largest Insurers to take on a $20 million Annuity Policy, that carries very little risk to them. You think somehow that some insurer is going to take on a potential $72 million liability? They'd have to spread that around to other insurers like crazy, and the premium on it would be huge. We are talking somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15-25 million in premiums.... Nah, not going to happen.

It would also definitely violate the CBA.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If Tavares wants to insure his future earnings, he would have to be the one paying the insurance premium. The Leafs wouldn't have any incentive to do it, and it would violate the CBA if they did it. Do you really think that Tavares wants to pay the millions of dollars in insurance premiums it would take to insure his future earnings? Or would he prefer to simply get a longer guaranteed contract?

The second choice seems like the more profitable.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If Tavares wants to insure his future earnings, he would have to be the one paying the insurance premium. The Leafs wouldn't have any incentive to do it, and it would violate the CBA if they did it. Do you really think that Tavares wants to pay the millions of dollars in insurance premiums it would take to insure his future earnings? Or would he prefer to simply get a longer guaranteed contract?

The second choice seems like the more profitable.

I don't think the Leafs would actually offer anything like that. If they get the feeling he will sign, they will pay the man what he wants, and deal with how to make it work next year. I assume they have have a lot of people, smarter than any poster on HFboards, working towards plans A-Z

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Tavares to Toronto, Boston or SJ would be the most interesting thing to happen to this league in a while. It would rejuvenate FA day, and give us all wild hopes in the coming years.

He probably does the safe but boring thing and return to the Island, but damn wouldn't it be exciting for the league.

If he goes to Boston I am going to have one of those Imogen Heap "hmmmmmm whatcha saaaaay" moments...

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Tavares to Toronto, Boston or SJ would be the most interesting thing to happen to this league in a while. It would rejuvenate FA day, and give us all wild hopes in the coming years.

He probably does the safe but boring thing and return to the Island, but damn wouldn't it be exciting for the league.

If he goes to Boston I am going to have one of those Imogen Heap "hmmmmmm whatcha saaaaay" moments...

HAHA it would be crazy!

I would almost not care if he went to Boston, as long as it created a buzz, maybe change how future free agents view major change.

NHL is too boring in this regard

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
Because there never has been a player who as impactful on the NHL level who was passed over many times by many teams.

That list is quite long and distinguished as a matter of fact. There are many players from the 3-7th rounds that have ended having productive NHL careers or even ending up elite HOF players.

Am I saying that he will guaranteed be one of those? No but the chances are still there and he has a better chance of being an NHL reg then some posters here do of being less then biased in their opinions.

It seems like deja vu that that we have more jets fans doing everything they can to **** on anything Leaf related. Keep on keeping on with the HFB tradition.

What are you even arguing? Did you read my post? No one is saying a second round pick can't end up as a good NHL player. I even said that 44% of second round players end up with NHL time (minimum 50 games).

You're acting like a victim when a couple of Leafs fans are guilty of overestimating a new draft pick by calling him a blue-chipper. Every team has fans who do this, and every fan who does this deserves to get called out. He was picked 52nd overall a few days ago. There aren't even close to 52 blue-chip prospects even in the best draft years unless you use that term incredibly loosely. So yes, he could end up being good, or never see the NHL. Meaning he isn't a blue-chip prospect.

Mar 26, 2010
You have to think he wants to come home to Toronto, and play for his childhood team!

Tavares is a Toronto boy born and raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad