McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I have Tavares staying an Islander at about 85%. I’m not going to get my hopes up that he will become a Leaf but I would love it so much if he did. I am a huge fan of his and love the way that he plays. I can see the Leafs keeping Kadri for this year but when Matthews and Marner get paid it will be very hard to keep everyone. This is where the 3rd year that we gave to Marleau might bite us in the butt.
Given he's meeting 3-5 teams in the next 2 days I can't have it anywhere that high.
Leafs have much better chances than most think on here imo. Isles are the favs, but Leafs a strong #2.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Creative offer #1

Massive bonus and front loaded (keeping with the rules of course) deal.

A Condo on Western Battery Rd.
A Rolex watch
A Pug
GoodLife fitness membership
A cottage in Muskoka
A bottle of Smart Water
Pocky
A Driver
A Gardener
A Maid
A Butler
Storage (physical and digital)
A Picasso painting
An Amazon gift card

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Thinking is to move Nylander in a package for one.

as much as i have been against it, when tavares signs here (hopefully on the 2nd, my birthday) i dont see any choice but to move him for d help. I do believe there is a deal to be made with st louis despite what hf thinks.

HC7

May 2, 2018
The whole pitch will be around the big 3 and the supporting cast you nimrods.

They're not going to say if you sign we'll trade Nylander because if he doesn't and that gets out they'd look like idiots. If we're 5 years into the Tavares contract and the team looks like they're shit or something unlikely then they'll make a trade.

If we had Crosby and Malkin I guarantee everyone here would want to trade Malkin.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Creative offer #1

Massive bonus and front loaded (keeping with the rules of course) deal.

A Condo on Western Battery Rd.
A Rolex watch
A Pug
GoodLife fitness membership
A cottage in Muskoka
A bottle of Smart Water
Pocky
A Driver
A Gardener
A Maid
A Butler
Storage (physical and digital)
A Picasso painting
An Amazon gift card
For some reason I didn't laugh until I saw Amazon gift card :laugh:

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
"Blue chip players are those who have proven themselves to be among the best at their positions in their respective sports and are more sought after and wanted than other players.[1] They are typically perceived as "can't miss" prospects[2] who are desired by most organizations. Blue chip athletes are likely to have an immediate impact on teams that acquire them[2] and have proven skills rather than speculative or untapped potential."

Unless Durzi makes the Leafs in a top4 role this fall and plays it well, he's not a blue chip prospect. That's what "blue chip" means. There were only two, maybe three or four blue chippers drafted this year.

But I bet if the jets drafted him... he'd be a blue chip prospect yes?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Expecting him to sign in Toronto for 1 year and 16 million. Then 8 years at 96 million next summer.

Dubas learned from the best.

Thanks Lou.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Expecting him to sign in Toronto for 1 year and 16 million. Then 8 years at 96 million next summer.

Thanks Lou.

Career ending injury, and he leaves $72 Million on the table. Unacceptable risk.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Of course not.

Well it's a good thing the opinion of an armchair GM on a hockey forums opinion means jack **** compared to the coaches and players who say he is a blue chipper.

But keep thinking whatever you want.
Maybe one of these days you will actually be right about something. The law of averages and all...

Cotton

May 13, 2013
as much as i have been against it, when tavares signs here (hopefully on the 2nd, my birthday) i dont see any choice but to move him for d help. I do believe there is a deal to be made with st louis despite what hf thinks.

Holy f***, you trying to jinx us?

He’s signing back with the Islanders, 1000%

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ever hear of insurance? Lebron only signs 1 year contracts so he can get max every year.
LeBron makes tonnes more in endorsements. His endorsement earnings are greater than his nba earnings. Can the same be said of any nhler? Nba isn’t a contact sport like hockey.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
LeBron makes tonnes more in endorsements. His endorsement earnings are greater than his nba earnings. Can the same be said of any nhler? Nba isn’t a contact sport like hockey.
He could still easily get $100 million of insurance paid by MLSE of course.

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu

Thanks Lou.

If he signs a one year contract, when is he eligible to sign an extension? From Day 1 there would be less than one year left.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
OK....but how does signing Tavares show patience?

I'm talking about patience with our defensive growth.

Signing the top FA C is simply a no brainer for most teams unless you already are stacked for C depth.

Honestly with AM/JT and Kadri as your top 3 C's playing alongside Marner,Willie,Kappy and AJ when is the other team going to have the puck?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ever hear of insurance? Lebron only signs 1 year contracts so he can get max every year.

No, never heard of insurance... oh, except I'm Insurance licensed.

It's next to impossible to get one of Canada's largest Insurers to take on a $20 million Annuity Policy, that carries very little risk to them. You think somehow that some insurer is going to take on a potential $72 million liability? They'd have to spread that around to other insurers like crazy, and the premium on it would be huge. We are talking somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15-25 million in premiums.... Nah, not going to happen.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
But I bet if the jets drafted him... he'd be a blue chip prospect yes?
The Jets just had a D-man prospect become the youngest ever player to win the Eddie Shore award in the AHL. I don't think anyone has ever referred to him as a blue chip prospect.

So no. Durzi wouldn't be a blue chip prospect with the Jets either.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
No, never heard of insurance... oh, except I'm Insurance licensed.

It's next to impossible to get one of Canada's largest Insurers to take on a $20 million Annuity Policy, that carries very little risk to them. You think somehow that some insurer is going to take on a potential $72 million liability? They'd have to spread that around to other insurers like crazy, and the premium on it would be huge. We are talking somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15-25 million in premiums.... Nah, not going to happen.
I find it hard to believe that they can't go outside of Canada for such a large insurance policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad