Prospect Info: Leafs Pick - #95 - Jesper Lindgren - Defense - SWE 5' 11" / 161

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is meant for the blog, but thought I would post in on the board as well.

Many are interested in the prospects of the Toronto Maple Leafs, as there are some very exciting players that may be a big part of the leafs in the future. This will be a 3 part series. The first part will about the players that don't get talked about a lot, but are still intriguing and fans shouldn't forget about. There will be a separate blog for each player.

Jesper Lindgren

He is one of my favorite prospects on the leafs, and have followed him over the last 2-3 seasons. He was drafted in the 4th round in 2015. Here is a report on Lindgren from that time.

"Jesper Lindgren, an impressive blend of skill, speed, determination, and intelligence, is the one player you don't want to see carrying the puck if you are his adversary. The nimble puck-carrying defenseman plays above his age, and is confident enough in his abilites to make creative plays under pressure. He is poised with the puck and possesses a high level of hockey sense; he is always aware of what is unfolding in the play, and never seems to make irrational decisions or bend under adversity. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in spirit and cunning. However, he doesn't shy away from puck battles, and will use his body to barge his way in and swoop out with the puck. All-in-all, a talented offensive blueliner who plays an adaptive, new-age style of hockey."

He was signed to an ELC over the summer. Leafs still had one more year before they had to make a decision him to the best of my knowledge. It shows they are very high on him. Last season, he signed with HPK of Sm Liga in the Finnish league, and had a solid year there. He had 8 points in 43 games. Those might not be amazing numbers, but it seemed like he was playing a defensive role, and the team as a whole was underachieving. Here is Lindgren in regard to last season, and also this season.

“I want to be a complete hockey player who can play defence and offence. I think what I need to improve most is to get stronger and be a little faster so that I can win battles in the corner,” he said.
“I got a big role defensively, I played a lot of penalty killing and that helped me a lot, but I played powerplay too, just a little bit less than usual. It’s no excuse though. I could have done more. I need to shoot more if I want more points. The plan is to go back to Finland for one more year to get a big role like I had last year and play probably even more. The only thing with hockey is you need to play to develop. I will get to play a lot there. It’s business. It’s a little bit smaller in Finland compared to Sweden and that helps a lot too but it’s even smaller here and takes a while. I just need to get used to it.” (taken from Scott Wheeler’s Athletic article)

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great

Stats

2017/2018
GP: 43
Goals: 2
Assists: 6
Rating: -4
TOI: 20:14

2018/2019
GP: 25
Goals: 1
Assists: 9
Rating: +2
TOI: 18:47

Advanced Stats

2017/2018
Corsi%: 45.5
Corsi Close%: 44.6

2018/2019
Corsi%: 59.4
Corsi Close%: 59.0

Defenceman 22 years and younger, he is 5th in PPG.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he is 2nd in COR%.
Among all players that have played at least 20 games, he is 9th in COR%.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he is 2nd in Corsi Close.

Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 4/4
Shot: 2.5/3
Puck Skills: 4/4
Compete: 4/4
Defence: 3.5/4
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of Lindgren’s strengths is his skating. He moves around the ice very well with and without the puck. All the elements part of skating, Lindgren has them. Whether its top speed, back skating, side to side movement, there aren’t any weaknesses.

Lindgren is an offensive defenceman. His passing is top notch, and is a great puck mover as a result of his puck carrying. He can quarterback a PP, as his ability to make plays can be a big factor there. His shot is below average. It doesn’t have a lot of power, and isn’t really a threat. Its not a concern though, as Lindgren’s game is about creativity and playmaking.

He is fine defensively. Lindgren isn’t going to lay a big hit in the corner to get the puck, but his commitment will still be there. He isn’t going hurt the team in their zone. The only thing that might hold him back from the NHL is his size. As much as I support skill over size, 161 pound d man just isn’t going to work in the league. Lindgren just needs to get stronger, as it will help him be able to handle the physically that comes with battling in the corners.
Side information everyone, ignore any typos or grammar issues, I am just getting started.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Is there a site for his online advanced stats or is it a paid service? Also, what are his offensive start %? I’m only asking because a high % oz start is correlated with relative corsi.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder if he's going to get any Marlies games. It's getting mighty crowded on the Marlies now.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wonder if he's going to get any Marlies games. It's getting mighty crowded on the Marlies now.
Not to say Hollowell and Duszak have done a bad job but Lindgren is further ahead of both in his development. I'd imagine he'd be an upgrade on either of them at this time.

Reactions: Eye Test

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not to say Hollowell and Duszak have done a bad job but Lindgren is further ahead of both in his development. I'd imagine he'd be an upgrade on either of them at this time.
Yea I would think the same thing. The kids are alright but there's no way we take out Loverde for Lindgren so unfortunately Hollowell or Duszak might have to take a seat

Reactions: Blueboy

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
I think he pulls in ahead of Hollowell/Duszak.

With Rosen still out...

Sandin - Liljegren
Borgman - Loverde
Hollowell - Lindgren

With Rosen back...

Rosen - Liljegren
Sandin - Lindgren
Borgman - Loverde

How swede it is.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Lindgren could be a dark horse for the Leafs next year depending on if Zaitsev is moved.
If Z is moved, Rielly and Muzzin will be the only locks to start the year with Gardiner/Hainsey walking and Dermott out until approximately Christmas. That's 3-4 available spots depending on if a D is brought in via trade (likely).

If Dubas is intent on overcooking Liljegren and Sandin for another year, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing Kivihalme/Rosen/Lindgren right in to the fire on that bottom pair. I have a feeling Lindgren is going to surprise over the next few weeks, he's a legitimate sleeper.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I would like to see Lindgren play a game, I have only seen him play in the summer JR showcase thing a couple of years ago and he was only used on the PP pretty much. I have no idea were he sits prospect wise, he could be behind everyone on the Marlie D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Z is moved, Rielly and Muzzin will be the only locks to start the year with Gardiner/Hainsey walking and Dermott out until approximately Christmas. That's 3-4 available spots depending on if a D is brought in via trade (likely).

If Dubas is intent on overcooking Liljegren and Sandin for another year, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing Kivihalme/Rosen/Lindgren right in to the fire on that bottom pair. I have a feeling Lindgren is going to surprise over the next few weeks, he's a legitimate sleeper.

Or Kaski ;)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Assuming that Sandin and Liljegren are Marlies next season. A young and crowded Marlies blue line. Lindgren, Borgman, Duszak, Kovihalme, Hollowell, Gordeev?

Seems like Lindgren hasn't put on any weight/strength since he was drafted. If still at 161 pounds at age 21, is he ever going to be at 180?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Assuming that Sandin and Liljegren are Marlies next season. A young and crowded Marlies blue line. Lindgren, Borgman, Duszak, Kovihalme, Hollowell, Gordeev?

Seems like Lindgren hasn't put on any weight/strength since he was drafted. If still at 161 pounds at age 21, is he ever going to be at 180?
And maybe Rasanen, too.
Keefe is showing a nice touch with young D.
It’s pretty important stuff for the team moving forward.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I would like to see Lindgren play a game, I have only seen him play in the summer JR showcase thing a couple of years ago and he was only used on the PP pretty much. I have no idea were he sits prospect wise, he could be behind everyone on the Marlie D.
3rd best d prospect we have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad