Prospect Info: Leafs Pick - #95 - Jesper Lindgren - Defense - SWE 5' 11" / 161

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well the great thing is he's still only 18, which seems like a baby for these hidden gem style Swedish defensemen. He's got a lot of time to develop. I think Gunnarsson was 21 when we drafted him.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
"My favourite player is Erik Karlsson"

"Do you ever see yourself being as good as him?"

"Well, he's the best in the world, so I can't really compare myself to him. But you know, maybe."

:yo: What a thug.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Really wanted him at 95 thought maybe even 65. Stralman 2.0 I'm hoping for.

This would qualify as my favourite pick at it's respective position of the draft for us.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I really like this pick. Really talented RHD, hopefully he can reach his potential, and since we have a lot of LHD, I think that we'll be able to find a good partner for him.

Seen him twice last season, looked ok for young guy, definitely good pick in this round.

He's also listed at 183cm on official site of MODO, so that's 6'0''. Also 73kg = 160lbs, but he'll probably be able to add a lot to it, since he's a young guy.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Comparing him to Karlsson is just setting him up for failure. Sami Vatanen would probably be a better, more realistic comparable.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Karlsson at 15th overall was a steal. If Lindgren can become a Top 6 NHL defenceman who specializes on the power play, then he could be the steal of the draft. I can't even believe it. He does have the potential to be the best defenceman if he reaches his potential, but like I said, even a Top 6 defenceman is incredible.

I have a feeling the Babcock influence will be strong in this ones development

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
You need the cheesy moustache to be a swashbuckler
errol-flynn-1909-1959,2245748.jpg

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Comparing him to Karlsson is just setting him up for failure. Sami Vatanen would probably be a better, more realistic comparable.

Tobias Enstrom sounds like another comparable or even Tyson Barrie.

Although I'll admit I've never watched Lindgren play but I'm excited for a player with that kind of upside + cause of the scout who picked him.

Dmen who can skate well + move the puck out of their zone quick and that can excel in a transition game have become more and more important with the way the game has evolved. This trend seems set to continue.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Huh? I'm not sure how Babcock factors in with this guy, considering the bulk of his development will likely happen in Sweden.

He'll never play in the NHL if he can't figure out the defensive side of the game. Therefore, he'll put in the work to play in Babcock's system.

Or we'll forget about him and never see him after 2 years of SHL/AHL

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Have him in our top 5 D prospects.

Behind Dermott/Percy but right there with Valiev and Loov IMO. Hope he takes some big strides next year.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Have him in our top 5 D prospects.

Behind Dermott/Percy but right there with Valiev and Loov IMO. Hope he takes some big strides next year.

In terms of how hopeful I am...

Travis Dermott (second pairing defencman)
Stuart Percy (second pairing defenceman)
Viktor Loov (#4/5 defenceman)
Jesper Lindgren (project, top four upside)
Rinat Valiev (second pairing upside)
Tom Nilsson (#5/6 defenceman)
Petter Granberg (#5/6 defenceman)
Andrew Nielsen (project, bottom four upside)
Stephen Desrocher (project, bottom four upside)
Matt Finn (project, #4/5 upside)
Cody Donaghey (project, #5/6 upside)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gards is "wash-bucketing" lol - is OK i've turned a new Leaf on Gards - gonna support him this year regardless of his wash-bucketting turnovers.

Nithoniel converted me. :popcorn:

:thumbu:

(Now watch Gardiner come in and deserve all criticism next year)

Heh yeah, I tried to put a temper on things after making those posts. Vatanen is a very good comparison, and a player I thoroughly enjoy.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
In terms of how hopeful I am...

Travis Dermott (second pairing defencman)
Stuart Percy (second pairing defenceman)
Viktor Loov (#4/5 defenceman)
Jesper Lindgren (project, top four upside)
Rinat Valiev (second pairing upside)
Tom Nilsson (#5/6 defenceman)
Petter Granberg (#5/6 defenceman)
Andrew Nielsen (project, bottom four upside)
Stephen Desrocher (project, bottom four upside)
Matt Finn (project, #4/5 upside)
Cody Donaghey (project, #5/6 upside)

scott harrington?? (second pairing defenceman?)

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I've only seen him once, in the game against Canada in the U-18's, in which most of the Swedish defense, including two eventual first rounders, looked mediocre Lindgren seemed to be the 7th defenseman in that contest. I wouldn't get very definite on the basis of viewing limited shifts in one game. It did look as if some of the scouting reports were accurate. He does handle the puck well and at present he is definitely slightly built. In that context, his skating looked good but not outstanding.

He will be interesting to follow over the next few years. On principle, however, I think some of the enthusiastic posters in this thread should tap their brakes a bit.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
:thumbu:

(Now watch Gardiner come in and deserve all criticism next year)

Heh yeah, I tried to put a temper on things after making those posts. Vatanen is a very good comparison, and a player I thoroughly enjoy.

Ha ha, it just takes 40 games or so for JG to warm up. Babber just needs to keep telling Jake that October is really January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->