Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #86 -- Joshua Leivo - LW - 6-2/180 -Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Wow, why do the make belief scouts on this board whine about players they have never seen play?

+1

Ive seen Josh Leivo play 20-25 times, starting back in his Barrie days, and I cant say that im an expert on him.

I dont understand how others think that they are?

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
I won't pretend to ever to know more than other scouts when it comes to picks, so I wouldn't criticize any picks (unless they're obviously bad, but even then that's difficult to determine).

However, the only way for us to become competitive and compete for the Cup is for us to get lucky and hit the jackpot BIG TIME with a couple of Lucics, Bergerons, and Subbans with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. We need two of McKegg, Biggs, Blacker, Ross, among other draft picks, to blossom and blow us away. It just seems like otherwise we're going to be mired in mediocrity for forever. We're never, EVER going to be lucky enough to have a 1st-rounder while finishing 29th ever again.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I won't pretend to ever to know more than other scouts when it comes to picks, so I wouldn't criticize any picks (unless they're obviously bad, but even then that's difficult to determine).

However, the only way for us to become competitive and compete for the Cup is for us to get lucky and hit the jackpot BIG TIME with a couple of Lucics, Bergerons, and Subbans with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. We need two of McKegg, Biggs, Blacker, Ross, among other draft picks, to blossom and blow us away. It just seems like otherwise we're going to be mired in mediocrity for forever.

All the more reason to take the high risk high reward players no?

3rd round picks make the NHL 10 percent of the time, so why not take a player that has a high upside?

birddog*

One of the most highly criticized picks last year was Josh Nichols. Everyone looked at the skinny kid with poor numbers. Now that pick looks good.

Leivo blossomed in the second half and was one of the top players in the playoffs.

I'll wait until passing judgement. All these kids need to get better before they become NHL players. Some players will improve more than other--which is why the NHL draft is NOT and exact science.

birddog*

True. That Jamie Devane pick really panned out well...

Devane was drafted in 2009 third round -- how many players drafted there or below him have done anything in the NHL? People need to chill. Every pick isn't Crosby -- sometimes grabbing a 4th line goon in the 3rd round is better then grabbing a guy that will never play.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
True. That Jamie Devane pick really panned out well...

Devane had a real good year this year. Unfortunetly the people who complain rarely if ever come back and say good job after its proven that it was a smart pick up.

Its quite unfortunate.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I don't think you can realistically expect every draft pick to pan out.

But why not wait until the year is over to find out? Why do we need to call it a bust 3 minutes after the pick is made?

Nothing wrong with taking picks that have high risk high reward, so few 3rd rounders make it, might as well take some risks.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2011_16.html

28. Joshua Leivo - Forward - Sudbury Wolves
Call me a believer. I was absolutely blown away by Leivo's play towards the end of the regular season and into the OHL playoffs. If you include the playoffs, in Leivo's final 40 games of the season, he had 15 goals, 20 assists and was a +20. This type of production from a 6'2 winger who plays both ends of the ice? You might ask, what was he doing in those first 35 or so games? The answer; becoming a complete player. He worked hard in a checking line role, developed his two way game and eventually got the chance on a scoring line. Leivo is a good skater with an extra burst that he uses to beat defenders to loose pucks in the offensive zone and on the forecheck. He'll drive hard to the net with the puck on his stick and creates scoring opportunities for his teammates from good board work. And as mentioned, he's a very good two way player who's the first one back in the defensive zone and seems to have a knack for intercepting passes and anticipating the opposition's next move. I've heard a few people call him a power forward prospect. I'm not sure I'd go that far, as I don't see him developing in that capacity. But he's certainly someone with a huge learning curve and a lot of potential as a two way scoring threat. How Central Scouting left him off their list, I'll never understand.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think you can realistically expect every draft pick to pan out.

I guess it comes down to philosophy. I'm all for taking home run swings, but when you hear of the Leafs going for a big body for example, it's discouraging in general because there's no fantastic upside.

deadp0ol

Mar 15, 2011
He got 30 pts in 64 games as a rookie, calm down guys. Zach Kassian had 21pts in 58, Kadri had 22 in 62, and bobby ryan had 39 in 65.

Im not saying that he is going to become any of those players, but atleast give the kid a chance.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Devane was drafted in 2009 third round -- how many players drafted there or below him have done anything in the NHL? People need to chill. Every pick isn't Crosby -- sometimes grabbing a 4th line goon in the 3rd round is better then grabbing a guy that will never play.

See, philosophically, I disagree. I'd rather they draft those Sondre Olden, Teemu Pulkkinen types who could be home run hits than safe goons. Not calling Leivo anything at this point, but in general I'd prefer the raw skill that's been overlooked than something that might be 'safe'.

smoke meat pete*

I guess it comes down to philosophy. I'm all for taking home run swings, but when you hear of the Leafs going for a big body for example, it's discouraging in general because there's no fantastic upside.

I guess you'll like the 5th rounder then.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
You can't just look at the overall stats as a ton of guys take some time to adjust to the OHL and are first used as 3-4 liners learning to play D.
This kid is a great skater who started to produce in the latter part of the season. He also plays both ends of the ice and shows good hockey sense without the puck.
Good enough for me right now. Watch for his numbers to jump next year but it is all about how he ends up like a man.
Don't fall into the stats pit as it may be a little more reliable for the real top end talent but not for the later rounds.

Look at Ott and how people on here are freaking saying they have stolen the day with Prince and Puempal who have great OHL stats BUT their wheels and size are not going to allow them to take that production to the NHL. They also don't project into any other role.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think Levio is one the players who benefited the most from the John McFarland trade for Sudbury, not only did he get more minutes be he was on a line with Sgarbossa. The line was the hottest line for the Wolves in the second half of the season and the playoffs.

SteveV*

I like the pick. Don't have a clue who he is, but it does seem like a blossoming prospect. No problem with this type of late third pick, it's always a crapshoot anyways.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
We have good scouts and I think they have done a good job once again. Have no idea at all who Leivo is but I have faith in the management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->