Leafs or Oil bigger choker THIS year?

Which collapse was worse Leafs this year or Oilers this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Both are horrible, and fans of both teams should feel horrible. I know I do. Moves better be f***ing made.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The Oilers didn't really choke away anything. Except a huge lead in one game. They were swept. They never had it. Even if they win game 3, it's still 2-1 Winnipeg with home ice.

The Leafs needed to show up for maybe 4 out of a possible 11 periods to advance. They showed up in 1 (OT game 6) period. They had it.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Does it really matter if you lose in the end? Leafs were expected to go farther, lost to the lower ranked team and choked a huge series lead. Oilers were disappointing as f*** though.

Yes it does.

Leafs leave this series with the perception that they could have won but didn't, Oilers leave with the perception that they were out matched.

Leafs showed up and won games, Oilers fizzled.

Oilers didn't even win a game, they choked completely. Leafs at least had moments where they didn't choke.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yes it does.

Leafs leave this series with the perception that they could have won but didn't, Oilers leave with the perception that they were out matched.

Oilers didn't even win a game, they choked completely. Leafs at least had moments where they didn't choke.
Lol, but then what happened?

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Yes it does.

Linda, listen. This makes 0 sense. Leafs lost anyway even though they were HEAVY favourites to come out of the Canadian division. Doesn't matter if it was in 7 or 4. Losing a huge series lead to a "lesser" team is the definition of choking. You're lost.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Oilers didn't choke. They just simply suck. McDavid and Drai didn't play as well as they should have, but overall they just had no business in competing against the Jets.

Leafs were a much better team and they had the entire control of the series. 3-1 as top seed against the lowest and losing? That's choking.

Good news, Leafs can turn this around by tweaking their roster and culture. Oilers are still f***ing horrible.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Oilers didn't choke. They just simply suck. McDavid and Drai didn't play as well as they should have, but overall they just had no business in competing against the Jets.

Leafs were a much better team and they had the entire control of the series. 3-1 as top seed against the lowest and losing? That's choking.

Good news, Leafs can turn this around by tweaking their roster and culture. Oilers are still f***ing horrible.

Well yes, the Leafs clearly choked for the purposes of this poll.

But either you struggle analyzing hockey or you just didn't watch the games. Every game was close with numerous OT's throughout the series - Winnipeg just played a tight checking game and edged out the goaltending battle.

Reactions: Just Linda

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Leafs were up 3-1 on a team that was widely viewed as the weakest team in the playoffs in a year they went “all in” with a cap situation that gets worse by the year and a mostly barren prospect/future draft pick pool. It’s them by a landslide.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The Leafs is a much bigger collapse. They were up 3-1. The Oilers is a big failure, but in order to choke you have to be ahead first.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Oilers because it was hilarious, but Leafs should have never lost to a team like Montreal either

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I don't even understand the free pass Oilers get.

Oilers were the better regular season team this year. And last year
Last 4 regular season meetings with Jets vs Oilers was Oilers 4-0, outscoring Jets 16-4 and McDavid with 11 points. If you go broader, 7-2-0, 34 goals for 22 against this season.

Why they did have no business competing? They absolutely did - and they were the heavy favorites in the round 1 matchup - and then completely choked. Couldn't win a single game. They were well in control of game 3 - and choked the lead and lost in OT.

Leafs look real bad for being up 3-1 and losing too - but to me Oilers had the much bigger choke.

I didn't watch more than the last game in Oil vs Jet series - but from watching all of the Leafs to me this series was stolen from them by Carey Price. They played well enough to be up 6-0 after 6 games. They didn't play well in game 7, and that's on them, but they played really great for 6 games. They choked in the end - but not as bad as Edmonton

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Leafs is a much bigger collapse. They were up 3-1. The Oilers is a big failure, but in order to choke you have to be ahead first.

Biggest choke job in NHL history in my opinion is Lightning out in 4 vs Columbus 2 years ago. So - not really?

They were heavy favorites - and they choked.

Reactions: Voight and abo9

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Oilers because it was hilarious, but Leafs should have never lost to a team like Montreal either

Before Covid hit the Habs they were near the top of the standings in the north. This team was built to win in the playoffs. Habs are better than their standings, not sure why you are surprised they are capable of playing the way they are designed to play.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Leafs were clearly a better team than Montreal. The Oilers have two superstars, but the team as a whole isn't better than Winnipeg. Both are embarassing, but the Leafs don't have any excuses for their result.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Linda, listen. This makes 0 sense. Leafs lost anyway even though they were HEAVY favourites to come out of the Canadian division. Doesn't matter if it was in 7 or 4. Losing a huge series lead to a "lesser" team is the definition of choking. You're lost.

I don't buy that lesser team crap. I look at the standings before Covid hit the Habs schedule and see a team that was right up there with Toronto and Edmonton. I see a team that was built to play in the playoffs. I see a team that was designed to shut down top heavy teams and win games by having its bottom 6 outscore other teams bottom 6. There were 2 teams that played in that series, if at the start of the season you'd have asked who'd have won the playoff round most people would've said the Habs. Recency bias had people change their vote but it's not like a juggernaut ran into a kitten.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Gotta be the Leafs imo, since they cannot for the life of them close a series, but I admit that I did not watch the Oilers' games. They were the clear-cut better team in 6 games, but in game 7 you could see fear in their play. They just can't close a series.

Also, while the Oilers were the better season team, I did not really have faith in their goaltending and depth heavily favoured Winnipeg.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Before Covid hit the Habs they were near the top of the standings in the north. This team was built to win in the playoffs. Habs are better than their standings, not sure why you are surprised they are capable of playing the way they are designed to play.

Price is the answer.
He got injured, the team tanked.

Nothing else matters to the Habs

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
How did the oilers choke?
They were expected to lose and did lose. 2 players can't carry the load in the PO. Anybody that though Edmonton was going to win that series was deluding themselves

The leafs were expected to win, jumped out to a 3-1 series lead and lost. That's definition choking

Edit is been pointed out that some/majority of media pundits appently picked the Oilers.
Send shocking anyone would have picked them to win, to me at least, so while i don't consider It an upset, i guess it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->