Speculation: LEAFS OFFSEASON

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
With the trade deadline come and gone - the leafs (along with every other team) will be faced with decisions in the offseason. Alot of these decisions will be based off the success (or lack of) in the spring/summer.

With that said, what are some predictions? Keep in mind the expansion draft, free agency etc. I will begin

As a Leafs fan - I would obviously love to see them go all the way. However, history has taught me otherwise. So, lets assume they do not win the cup - In other words -- "failure" or the need to re-adjust the "plan"

UFAs
- Andersen
- Hyman (their most Important player IMO)
- Bogosian
- Spezza
- Thornton
- Simmonds
- Galchenyuk
- Hutton
- Foligno
- Rittich

Out of all of these - I think they will do everything in their power to KEEP HYMAN (they would be smart to "work out a deal" that is signed after the expansion draft) LET'S assume it is 4.5m x 7 years

- I think Andersen is GONE - and they will look to replace him with a goalie at approx 2-3 M in the offseason via free agency and/or trade - we will see a Campbell and Rittich/Korpisalo/Mrazek/Halak type of combo

out of the remaining free agents - In all honestly I think Thornton is done and Simmonds hasnt been the same since the injury - this $$$$ will be given towards a Hyman raise

- I can see them wanting to bring Spezza back for 700k again (and I think he has at least 1-2 years left of being productive) - and Bogosian has been great for 1M - but he may have played himself into a 2-3 M contract which the Leafs simply cant afford.
- Galchenyuk same thing

The players that will be "EXPOSED/AVAILABLE" to Seattle are
- Kerfoot
- Engvall
- Holl and Dermott (unless they go 8 skaters -- then just one)

I could see Dubas working out a deal with Francis to take a specific/predetermined player
(Engvall would be my choice)

So, preliminary lineup

LW ____________
C - Matthews
RW - Marner

LW - Robertson
C - Tavares
RW - Nylander (ill get to this in a second)

LW - Hyman (HOPEFULLY!!)
C - Kerfoot (maybe)
RW - Mikheyev

LW - Spezza (???)
C - (Engvall) - maybe
RW - ???

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl (maybe)
Sandin - Liljegren or Dermott (maybe)

Campbell - FA/traded goalie

What I could see them doing (especially if they dont win) is finally trading Nylander
and they will likely get a ROSTER ready player and other assets for him (HE IS NOT BAD - but is a luxury item) - Let's just hypothetically say a deal like Nylander for Mangiapane or Nylander for Miles Wood type of deal with other picks/players involved

What this type of deal would do for the leafs would be....
a) still provide a winger that could play on the 2nd or 3rd line - BUT most importantly, free up approx another 4M to
a) ensure Hyman is re-signed
b) get perhaps a solid winger to play with matthews and marner (perhaps a Hoffman, etc)
c) strengthen/solidify the 3rd and 4th lines or back end (Bogosian back, maybe add a guy like Larsson, etc)

Holl will be protected

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I really dont think that anything can be projected this early but it really depends on how these playoffs unfold. Making it past the first 2 rounds in the North Division is the bare minimum, anything less will be considered a failure and this team will be blown up. One of Marner or Nylander will be shipped out, and one of Reilly or Muzzin will be the other.

If things go as planned, and they go on a long run then I can see the following happening:

Gally is resigned on 2 year deal for 1.5 million per.

Bogo is resigned vet minimum contract

Nash is resigned vet minimum contract

Spezza is resigned on vet minimum contract

Simmonds is resigned on vet minimum contract.

Hyman is retained on a multi year deal.

Rittich is retained on 2 yr deal.

Kerfoot is dealt in some deal.

Granlund is signed on a cheaper deal then Kerfoot.

And a trade will be made with Seattle where Dermott and others will be dealt for a top 6 winger that they select from another team.

Gally-Matthews-Marner
Top 6 winger- Tavares- Nylander
Micheyev-Granlund-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Lilly
Bogo

Campbell
Rittich

Of course if they lose in first 2 rounds this year my lineup is all blown up. So we will see, But I have confidence that this team will succeed this year.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Who are the top European free agents this year? I know the 2 we brought over this year didn’t work out but we got Mikheyev last year and he turned out to be a fan favourite and serviceable. Wonder what Dubas has up his sleeve this summer

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hyman will get a 3-4 year deal. Wouldnt surprise me if he signs in line with when Tavares and Marner contracts are up. 4 year deal. Or 3 year when Matthews and Nylander are up.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
3LW 3C Mikheyev
4LW Spezza Anderson

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Lily

1A goalie
Campbell

lots of UFA or trade options for those open spots. I think Keefe wants a big hard shut down 3rd line. None of Kerfoot, Engvall, Gally or Simmonds fit that mold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->