Speculation: LEAFS OFFSEASON

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
With the trade deadline come and gone - the leafs (along with every other team) will be faced with decisions in the offseason. Alot of these decisions will be based off the success (or lack of) in the spring/summer.

With that said, what are some predictions? Keep in mind the expansion draft, free agency etc. I will begin

As a Leafs fan - I would obviously love to see them go all the way. However, history has taught me otherwise. So, lets assume they do not win the cup - In other words -- "failure" or the need to re-adjust the "plan"

UFAs
- Andersen
- Hyman (their most Important player IMO)
- Bogosian
- Spezza
- Thornton
- Simmonds
- Galchenyuk
- Hutton
- Foligno
- Rittich

Out of all of these - I think they will do everything in their power to KEEP HYMAN (they would be smart to "work out a deal" that is signed after the expansion draft) LET'S assume it is 4.5m x 7 years

- I think Andersen is GONE - and they will look to replace him with a goalie at approx 2-3 M in the offseason via free agency and/or trade - we will see a Campbell and Rittich/Korpisalo/Mrazek/Halak type of combo

out of the remaining free agents - In all honestly I think Thornton is done and Simmonds hasnt been the same since the injury - this $$$$ will be given towards a Hyman raise

- I can see them wanting to bring Spezza back for 700k again (and I think he has at least 1-2 years left of being productive) - and Bogosian has been great for 1M - but he may have played himself into a 2-3 M contract which the Leafs simply cant afford.
- Galchenyuk same thing

The players that will be "EXPOSED/AVAILABLE" to Seattle are
- Kerfoot
- Engvall
- Holl and Dermott (unless they go 8 skaters -- then just one)

I could see Dubas working out a deal with Francis to take a specific/predetermined player
(Engvall would be my choice)

So, preliminary lineup

LW ____________
C - Matthews
RW - Marner

LW - Robertson
C - Tavares
RW - Nylander (ill get to this in a second)

LW - Hyman (HOPEFULLY!!)
C - Kerfoot (maybe)
RW - Mikheyev

LW - Spezza (???)
C - (Engvall) - maybe
RW - ???

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl (maybe)
Sandin - Liljegren or Dermott (maybe)

Campbell - FA/traded goalie

What I could see them doing (especially if they dont win) is finally trading Nylander
and they will likely get a ROSTER ready player and other assets for him (HE IS NOT BAD - but is a luxury item) - Let's just hypothetically say a deal like Nylander for Mangiapane or Nylander for Miles Wood type of deal with other picks/players involved

What this type of deal would do for the leafs would be....
a) still provide a winger that could play on the 2nd or 3rd line - BUT most importantly, free up approx another 4M to
a) ensure Hyman is re-signed
b) get perhaps a solid winger to play with matthews and marner (perhaps a Hoffman, etc)
c) strengthen/solidify the 3rd and 4th lines or back end (Bogosian back, maybe add a guy like Larsson, etc)

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
I'd Personally like to see something like this

Hoffman (if they can get at 4m) - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Mangiapane (for Nylander)
Hyman (hopefully 4 - 4.5m) - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Spezza - Engvall (or a gritty centre = Nash) -

(Upgrade over Rielly) - Brodie
Muzzin - One of Holl or Dermott
Sandin - One of Hutton(re-sign) , Liljegren

Reactions: geo25

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Nylander is a much MUCH better player

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Keeps: Hyman, Spezza, Galchenyuk

Traded & lost to expansion: Kerfoot & Dermott

Upgraded upon: Engvall

ps Playoffs will change all of this

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Kerfoot taken by Seattle
Trade Dermott for Picks or XXX
Sign Janmark
Evaluate Galchenyuk in the playoffs. Personally I'd prefer someone who can play up and down the lineup like Janmark
Sign/Trade for 1B Goalie

Hyman Matthews Marner
XXX/Janmark Tavares Nylander
Robertson XXX/Jamark Mikheyev
Engvall Spezza Anderson

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Bogosian
Liljeren

Campbell
Rittich/Raanta/Ullmark/Korpisalo/Merzlikins/Bilyalov/etc.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Depends on what happens in the playoffs and the expansion draft.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
if the Leafs go deep, they'll make subtle tweaks based on what unfolded in the playoffs.

If the Leafs go out in the first round, major changes will be made including one of the bigger names heading out.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
A lot will depend on the playoffs. Specifically around Campbell, Galchenyuk & Nylander. I'll assume all 3 of them perform well.

My best guess is:

1. Hyman extends after the Seattle expansion draft for a deal in the 5 x 5M range- similar to what Pageau got last year;
2. Rittich signs a deal around 2 x 2M deal:
3. Speeza signs another league minimum 1 year deal:
4. We lose Dermott in the expansion draft;
5. We deal Kerfoot immediately after paying his July 1st signing bonus;
6. Galchenyuk signs a 1 year x 2M deal;
7. Bogosian is signed to a 3 year deal for 2.5M per with lots of signing bonuses.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Basically it will look something like this, IMO...

Money out of the lineup...
Anderson: 5.0
Kerfoot: 3.5
Hyman: 2.2
Simmonds: 1.5
Engvall: 1.25
Galchenyuk: 1.0
Bogosian: 1.0
Thornton: 700k
Spezza: 700k
Dermott: 875k

Money into the lineup...
Hyman: 4.5-4.75
1B Goalie: 2.5-3.0
Galchenyuk (if good in playoffs): 2.0
FA Center: 2.0-2.5
Bogosian: 1.75-2.5
Sandin: 950k
Anderson: 750k
Robertson: 750k
Spezza: 700k
FA winger / Wayne Simmonds on a pay cut: 700k

That's obviously not perfect, but something like that.

The only thing that would change this, IMO, is if the playoffs were another disaster and decided move Reilly or Nylander to use their cap hit in other ways.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Think it's gonna look more like this:

leafs-parade.jpg

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
- Hyman 5 million x 6.
- Bogosian 2 years, 1.5 million per
- Spezza 1 year 700 k.
- Simmonds 1 year, 1 million.
- Galchenyuk 1 year 1 million.
- Nash 1 year, 1 million.
- Foligno - 2 years, 3 million per.

Andersen, Thornton, Hutton will not return. Kerfoot can be traded to create room for Folingo. Rittich deal determines on other variable opportunities.

Next years deadline pick up: Hertl, Perron or Dustin Brown.

2022 playoffs.

Hertl-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Folingo-Engvall-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Mikheyev
Galy, Spezza

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I already did mine in the mock trade deadline thread. Nylander,Rielly and Andersen were moved. Laine replaced Nylander. Ristolainen/Oleksiak/ Irwin replaced Rielly/Dermott.
Centers ended up being Matthews/Tavares/Jenner/M.Foligno all signed beyond this year.etc.
Goaltending ended up
J.Campbell
A. Khudobin

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
A lot will depend on the playoffs. Specifically around Campbell, Galchenyuk & Nylander. I'll assume all 3 of them perform well.

My best guess is:

1. Hyman extends after the Seattle expansion draft for a deal in the 5 x 5M range- similar to what Pageau got last year;
2. Rittich signs a deal around 2 x 2M deal:
3. Speeza signs another league minimum 1 year deal:
4. We lose Dermott in the expansion draft;
5. We deal Kerfoot immediately after paying his July 1st signing bonus;
6. Galchenyuk signs a 1 year x 2M deal;
7. Bogosian is signed to a 3 year deal for 2.5M per with lots of signing bonuses.

This is precisely how I see the off season going but Bogo at tops 1.5 to insulate the bottom pair with Sandin/Liljegren

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The problem with these threads is playoff results impact roster decisions. If you win a Cup everything changes. First round sweep could also prompt change.

Really not thrilled with a "Let's assume we don't win thread"...

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Garbage.

Reactions: Budz22 and ER89

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Like people have said depends on the playoffs.

If they make the 3rd round or so... less change.

If they are out quick this time I think there will be much more drastic measures taken.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
I already did mine in the mock trade deadline thread. Nylander,Rielly and Andersen were moved. Laine replaced Nylander. Ristolainen/Oleksiak/ Irwin replaced Rielly/Dermott.
Centers ended up being Matthews/Tavares/Jenner/M.Foligno all signed beyond this year.etc.
Goaltending ended up
J.Campbell
A. Khudobin
200.gif

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Goaltending ended up
J.Campbell
A. Khudobin

Hilarious how seriously some took your trade of Nylander for Laine in the other thread. I'd move Nylander but not for Laine who thinks he is worth much more than Nylander's AAV. If he proves he is, we cannot afford him and if he proves he is not, it will be another Kadri blunder.

Hyman is a must sign. I would also resign Bogo and Spezza. Foligno will return to CBJ because they can offer him more money and he probably does not want to move his family from Columbus.

I can't see us being able to get an upgrade on Rielly. Maybe you can package 44 and 88 in a deal for a #1D and a very good forward??

They probably let Andy walk and go with a tendem of 1A/1B goalies but I agree with Bourne who says you need 1 really good goalie and a good backup. I doubt Dubas can find a really good goalie that can fit under the cap, so they will sign a Rittch, Ullmark, Grubauer, Korpi, or Drieger.

Need to replace the grit you lose from Simmonds and Foligno.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
With the trade deadline come and gone - the leafs (along with every other team) will be faced with decisions in the offseason. Alot of these decisions will be based off the success (or lack of) in the spring/summer.

With that said, what are some predictions? Keep in mind the expansion draft, free agency etc. I will begin

As a Leafs fan - I would obviously love to see them go all the way. However, history has taught me otherwise. So, lets assume they do not win the cup - In other words -- "failure" or the need to re-adjust the "plan"

UFAs
- Andersen
- Hyman (their most Important player IMO)
- Bogosian
- Spezza
- Thornton
- Simmonds
- Galchenyuk
- Hutton
- Foligno
- Rittich

Out of all of these - I think they will do everything in their power to KEEP HYMAN (they would be smart to "work out a deal" that is signed after the expansion draft) LET'S assume it is 4.5m x 7 years

- I think Andersen is GONE - and they will look to replace him with a goalie at approx 2-3 M in the offseason via free agency and/or trade - we will see a Campbell and Rittich/Korpisalo/Mrazek/Halak type of combo

out of the remaining free agents - In all honestly I think Thornton is done and Simmonds hasnt been the same since the injury - this $$$$ will be given towards a Hyman raise

- I can see them wanting to bring Spezza back for 700k again (and I think he has at least 1-2 years left of being productive) - and Bogosian has been great for 1M - but he may have played himself into a 2-3 M contract which the Leafs simply cant afford.
- Galchenyuk same thing

The players that will be "EXPOSED/AVAILABLE" to Seattle are
- Kerfoot
- Engvall
- Holl and Dermott (unless they go 8 skaters -- then just one)

I could see Dubas working out a deal with Francis to take a specific/predetermined player
(Engvall would be my choice)

So, preliminary lineup

LW ____________
C - Matthews
RW - Marner

LW - Robertson
C - Tavares
RW - Nylander (ill get to this in a second)

LW - Hyman (HOPEFULLY!!)
C - Kerfoot (maybe)
RW - Mikheyev

LW - Spezza (???)
C - (Engvall) - maybe
RW - ???

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl (maybe)
Sandin - Liljegren or Dermott (maybe)

Campbell - FA/traded goalie

What I could see them doing (especially if they dont win) is finally trading Nylander
and they will likely get a ROSTER ready player and other assets for him (HE IS NOT BAD - but is a luxury item) - Let's just hypothetically say a deal like Nylander for Mangiapane or Nylander for Miles Wood type of deal with other picks/players involved

What this type of deal would do for the leafs would be....
a) still provide a winger that could play on the 2nd or 3rd line - BUT most importantly, free up approx another 4M to
a) ensure Hyman is re-signed
b) get perhaps a solid winger to play with matthews and marner (perhaps a Hoffman, etc)
c) strengthen/solidify the 3rd and 4th lines or back end (Bogosian back, maybe add a guy like Larsson, etc)

What needs to be done first and foremost is to trade Nylander. He's as soft as my toilet paper, and everything will fall in place. He's a disservice to Taveras, who has been looking more like himself the last 3 games, since Nylander's been on the shelf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->