Leafs No Longer Keeping Facilities Open in Off Season:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Why would the rich teams want to be rid of the cap and revenue sharing? If there was no cap, I can almost guarantee that the top teams would be paying more money in salaries than they are currently paying in salaries and revenue sharing combined. Why would they want to get rid of something that saves them money?

I suppose the argument would be that spending more money in salaries would be paid back in droves if those extra players and additional costs led to a Cup. All the merchandise and paraphernalia sold associated with a Cup win. The amount of jerseys sold alone would be profitable (we heard that when Stavro nixed the Gretzky signing in ‘96). And it would justify increases in ticket prices moreso — how many times have we heard fans saying they wouldn’t mind paying more if the team spent more (highly applicable to ‘15/‘16 Blue Jays teams).

I’d imagine these rich teams would love to be able to spend more. Even a soft cap with tax thresholds would be beneficial for all parties in the way revenue sharing is.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
That Friedman quote is so damning. How utterly petty must one be to specifically and explicitly put restrictions in the CBA, because a rival team's prospects are developing too well?

This is so farcical that I want names. Come on, Friedman, Johnson, McKenzie, et al. I know you guys read HF. Which teams/owners advocated for this?

Thinking Jacobs is one, Melnyk is a given… who else? Molson? Name & Shame.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
You’d think the league would want players to be in the best possible shape in order to have the highest quality product for the viewing audience. What a short sighted load of horseshit.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Sportsnet now has more info, video here (warning, two pre-roll ads):
NHL teams irked by Maple Leafs facility usage | Instant Analysis - Sportsnet.ca

Apologies if this was posted already, I didn't see it in this thread. Chris Johnston explains it more throughly right at the start. It sounds like there is language in the CBA (or the RTP agreement?) to prevent coaches on the ice with players during the summer. However, the players can still use the facility.

I thought the NHL was literally locking the doors based on those tweets at the start of this thread.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That Friedman quote is so damning. How utterly petty must one be to specifically and explicitly put restrictions in the CBA, because a rival team's prospects are developing too well?

This is so farcical that I want names. Come on, Friedman, Johnson, McKenzie, et al. I know you guys read HF. Which teams/owners advocated for this?

Thinking Jacobs is one, Melnyk is a given… who else? Molson? Name & Shame.

Melnyk isn’t one, the senators rink is open for training all summer, every summer.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sportsnet now has more info, video here (warning, two pre-roll ads):
NHL teams irked by Maple Leafs facility usage | Instant Analysis - Sportsnet.ca

Apologies if this was posted already, I didn't see it in this thread. Chris Johnston explains it more throughly right at the start. It sounds like there is language in the CBA (or the RTP agreement?) to prevent coaches on the ice with players during the summer. However, the players can still use the facility.

I thought the NHL was literally locking the doors based on those tweets at the start of this thread.

Well that’s totally different, way to go Freidman

Reactions: OddyOh

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt this changes things very much for Leaf players.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Melnyk isn’t one, the senators rink is open for training all summer, every summer.

Just because a teams facility is open in the summer doesnt mean they wont try anything to throw off a rival team much less one who has always had their number. I wouldnt be suprised if its EM or even Jacobs tbh. He wouldn't want to have the competition be getting stronger.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just because a teams facility is open in the summer doesnt mean they wont try anything to throw off a rival team much less one who has always had their number. I wouldnt be suprised if its EM or even Jacobs tbh. He wouldn't want to have the competition be getting stronger.

Lol, not going to do that, so his team loses his facilities , that they train in.
Anyways looks like the whole thread was a misinterpretation like was said earlier. It’s about not having coaches on the ice in the summer, not closing facilities.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Based on the new information, the Leafs were probably exploiting some vague CBA language to get the players working with members on the coaching staff they "shouldn't" have been doing .. As in what the intent of the CBA is supposed to be but doesn't explicitly say.

Still a petty thing though. Wonder what coaches they are referring to? It doesn't sound like the organization was directly paying for players' expenses or these speciality coaches to come in but who knows.

Next we'll see teams complain that the Leafs are using their bankroll to take on LTIR contracts for assets.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Based on the new information, the Leafs were probably exploiting some vague CBA language to get the players working with members on the coaching staff they "shouldn't" have been doing .. As in what the intent of the CBA is supposed to be but doesn't explicitly say.

Still a petty thing though. Wonder what coaches they are referring to? It doesn't sound like the organization was directly paying for players' expenses or these speciality coaches to come in but who knows.

Next we'll see teams complain that the Leafs are using their bankroll to take on LTIR contracts for assets.

That's the thing, they only restricted the teams ability to monitor and coach the players. Which was already not allowed in the CBA. The teams are still allowed to offer the facilities. The new wording really just clarifies the spirit of the initial wording in the CBA.

This clause would have been something the players initially negotiated to have in the CBA I think it has very little to do with other teams ability to offer facilities year round.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

It seems to be both petty and idiotic at the same time.

From a few clips ive watched they mentioned Roberts summer camp as being an issue. If players are paying for offseason training why does it matter at all?
Secondly...i read one article where it said that the kind of work the leaf and other teams players have been doing is creating an atmosphere where other players feel pressured to go when they dont want to.

Thats the difference between a professional and an amateur. Pros live breathe sleep and eat the job. Always pushing to get better and smarter. The league seems to want to dumb the players down, maybe they dont want other teams doing soo much better then the teams on revenue sharing life support. Gotta keep feeding that expansion narrative and bank account.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

That's a little better than the original tweet although still petty. Locking the facilities would have been a complete farce though.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Take the Leafs current payroll (under the cap) and add the amount that they pay in revenue sharing. I believe that total is less than what the Leafs payroll would be if there was n cap.
Leafs players are coming in to a heavy tax province and it is a very very large disadvantage for the team and also a disadvantage for the players trying to take home as much after taxes as equal players in low tax states. It looks bad on the General Manager also when he has to pay Marner Stone type money when Stone is in one of the leagues lowest tax states. Stone takes more money home @ $9,500,000 in Vegas than Marner does @$10,983,000 in Toronto. Does everyone realize that? If you don’t then you should. That’s a fact.
Montreal is in a stratosphere of another world trying to compete with the highest tax rate in North America.
I think i heard enough of the b.s how Canadian team are over paying players. They have to in order to keep players.

Reactions: kb

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

What new information

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As if Melnyk could afford to air condition an arena in the summer.

They use all the team facilities, training, weight, hot and cold tub etc. They don't use the ice, the ice is taken out at the end of the season. and then setup for summer concerts etc. They use the Sensplex, 4 pad arena, 3 NHL rinks and 1 Olympic sized rink. The sensplex is 500 metres down the road from the CTC, when they want to skate.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Teams unequivocally should offer development at the very highest level they are capable of. If a business wants to be the best no entity can ever be allowed to neutralize or eliminate a success.
This is the stuff of dictatorships and communists regime human right stomping garbage. Is this a free country anymore.

Reactions: Field of Dreams

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The best hockey league in the world won't allow teams to use their facilities for player development in the off-season. It's like they want to have a worse product. What other league could possibly have a rule specifically designed to PREVENT players and prospects from improving?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Leafs players are coming in to a heavy tax province and it is a very very large disadvantage for the team and also a disadvantage for the players trying to take home as much after taxes as equal players in low tax states. It looks bad on the General Manager also when he has to pay Marner Stone type money when Stone is in one of the leagues lowest tax states. Stone takes more money home @ $9,500,000 in Vegas than Marner does @$10,983,000 in Toronto. Does everyone realize that? If you don’t then you should. That’s a fact.
Montreal is in a stratosphere of another world trying to compete with the highest tax rate in North America.
I think i heard enough of the b.s how Canadian team are over paying players. They have to in order to keep players.

You know what else is a fact,
up to 24/25 season
Marner - 61 million bonus money, 23 Million more than Stone, 61M taxed at 15%, so Marner has the advantage at paying less taxes on 23M.
Stone - 38 million bonus money, 38 M taxed at 15%.

bonus money is taxed at only 15%. That's a better rate than most pay.
Hopefully you realize.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Never heard of Rachel; it doesn't matter anymore;
and it's not a big deal really, you just can't have coaches on the ice, in the summer, it's the players time away from coaching ,this was the was intent in the prior CBA, just not explicit. They still get to do everything else on the ice and in the training rooms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad