Proposal: Leafs need a few changes

You don’t need to agree with my plan for a shakeup, but do you think the team needs a shakeup?

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Again, I’m not saying this team is trash. This team is good and your stat on how they’ve never been blown proves that kind of. All I’m saying is that the way that they lose is what concerns me. Some times they go down without putting up as much of a fight as they’re capable of. I don’t think that mentality and lack of mental fortitude would bode well in the playoffs.

Looking at the numbers posted there, they have pretty much never gone down without putting up a fight this year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They need an upgrade at goalie, and some competent assistant coaching.

both are definitely achievable objectives this offseason.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The rapid climb and success of the Leafs has been astonishing. There's two things that get credit for that.

1. The Salary Cap came in without any remorse to teams that were playing to the limit of past rules. Leafs shed salary without prospects was adversity they couldn't overcome. The Leafs desire to win would of never allowed them to reload this deep in prospects without outside interference.

2. The chemistry. Dubas has created an environment that everybody wants a part of. Be very cautious of making changes for change sakes. Not only are there players like Tavares, Simmonds, Spezza that really wanted to be here, players like Thornton who might otherwise decline, were convinced, and are showing the league what a great place Toronto is to play for. I've had a dedicated co-worker get the shaft from my employer and after that, lost all concern for my employer's success or failure. I went through the motions until I could move on. (Actually took a cut in pay to do so.) Don't think the Leafs need to start making changes that are going to just turn off players from the organization.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As you look at the totality of the season so far, I think there 2 major "factors" to consider into how this team might fare into the playoffs. One good, one bad.

the bad... Streaky-ness. Seems like we're going either 8-1 or 0-5 in alternating fashion. A "hot streak" might win you a playoff round, but it will not win you a cup. A "cold streak" will almost certainly cause you to lose your shot at a cup. I think it's also been concerning that with so many games that are consecutive against the same team, that quite often, the Leafs have lost the 1st game of a series, and then not been able to make corrections and come out and win the 2nd and/or 3rd. It's kind of been a situation where they match up well against some, and not so well against others, and that "is what it is". In the playoffs, you have to be able to beat a team that may not be a good matchup for you.

the good... Rise to the occasion. You look back at that 3 game set against Edmonton where they could have passed us for first place, and utter domination with 3 different goalies. You look back at the last 2 games with Winnipeg at risk of basically tying this thing up, and 2 big statement wins -- going toe-to-toe with the Jets physically. Toronto's worst opponent this year has been the Canucks, who it seems will be in tough to make the playoffs.

Reactions: EK392000

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
As you look at the totality of the season so far, I think there 2 major "factors" to consider into how this team might fare into the playoffs. One good, one bad.

the bad... Streaky-ness. Seems like we're going either 8-1 or 0-5 in alternating fashion. A "hot streak" might win you a playoff round, but it will not win you a cup. A "cold streak" will almost certainly cause you to lose your shot at a cup. I think it's also been concerning that with so many games that are consecutive against the same team, that quite often, the Leafs have lost the 1st game of a series, and then not been able to make corrections and come out and win the 2nd and/or 3rd. It's kind of been a situation where they match up well against some, and not so well against others, and that "is what it is". In the playoffs, you have to be able to beat a team that may not be a good matchup for you.

the good... Rise to the occasion. You look back at that 3 game set against Edmonton where they could have passed us for first place, and utter domination with 3 different goalies. You look back at the last 2 games with Winnipeg at risk of basically tying this thing up, and 2 big statement wins -- going toe-to-toe with the Jets physically. Toronto's worst opponent this year has been the Canucks, who it seems will be in tough to make the playoffs.

I’d attribute the streakiness to poor goaltending. Otherwise, the group dcorp and forward Corp has been very good. I really like the make up of the team going into the playoffs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd like a new goalie. Hard to say how we'll view Campbell in the fall. If he's the man I want a serious 1b.

We are probably losing Holl so there is another hole.

I think the natural business cycle and expansion will force a fair but of change. Kerfoot is surely gone....

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Tavares was an unnecessary asset based on some salary stickhandling that Dubas expected to be able to do. They didn't need him but he was a luxury they thought they could pursue based on what they felt would be reasonable expectations from the big 3 on

Completely disagree. What Tavares brought to this team saved us at least 2 years of learning curve experience that has us where we are now as opposed to being at least a tier less then what we are.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
It depends what happens in the playoffs. I'm excited to see Foligno and Hutton added to the lineup and the eventual addition of Nash. If we lose in the first round, then Dubas might lose his job because he's committed to the big 4. IIRC, he gave a verbal no trade clause to Nylander. Any re-structuring of the team can't really happen if you don't trade one of the big 4.
does DUbas keep his job if we make it to the 2nd rd

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think at this point it would be a mistake to trade Nylander. The player that really needs to go is Tavares. He eats up way to much cap space but with his no trade I think it would be impossible so that only leaves Marner as trade options
Lol. Nylander gets traded over Marner 100 in 100 times.
Everyone know that.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I had a lot of concerns with Tavares when he was struggling but his resurgence gives me a lot of hope that he can fight through that and we weren’t seeing permanent and premature decline.

Marner’s having some issues lately, I think the playoff run will have some say in his long term future as a Leaf.
Yeah. He's in danger of dropping below 100 points annualized per season.
The only issue Marner has are people like yourself who have difficulty walking back your poor prejudgment of him. Look up cognitive dissonance.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
does DUbas keep his job if we make it to the 2nd rd

Yep, they say a GM gets to fire 2 coaches before he's fired. He canned Babcock, he hired Keefe. Usually if a team is struggling they fire the coach, Keefe would get fired than Dubas would be on the clock, if the new guy fails, Dubas and that guy get fired at the same time. Dubie's got at least another season + in him before he is fired.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah. He's in danger of dropping below 100 points annualized per season.
The only issue Marner has are people like yourself who have difficulty walking back your poor prejudgment of him. Look up cognitive dissonance.

Mitch is such a unique player the way he sees the ice and his dipsy doodles and the way he stalls till a play opens his vision and smarts, I don't know of anyone in the League quite like him. For those that lack reading skills, no I'm not saying he is the best at anything, he is just very unique.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't think we need a shake up, I think we need a 1A goalie to Campbell and another 2-3 gritty, nose to the grind, physical but skillful players. Folingo is a nice start.

We can make a run even this year. Possibly even a final 4 or or cup appearance is very possible. I'm skeptical on if we have enough to go the distance and win the cup but I think we are 90-95 % towards being a championship team.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Shake ups are great when they work, when they don't they suck. No guarantee a shake up is a positive thing.

ALine

May 14, 2012
I think the only big decision looming is the Rielly situation this summer. Sign him or trade him. Probably going to take a 2-3mil (over 8 year) increase to get him signed and i'm not entirely convinced thats a wise investment. Would have liked Sandin and Liljegren to get more games for a better idea of what we really have there. Only so much you can do though in a shortened season.

I wouldn't trade Nylander. Offensive depth is the bread and butter of this team and starts looking rather average without a first line talent like Nylander on the second line. Really noticed it when he was not playing on lockdown. Wouldn't be comfortable relying on Robertson to replace him( for the next few seasons atleast).

I'm good with riding this core until Matthews needs a new contract( him and willy same time) and reassess then.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
i think its a no brainer if we could get a Seth Jones type that we let Rielly go. But there arent many guys like that and teams dont let them go...So I dont think Rielly goes. Honestly though if we could get a guy of Brodie ilk and let Sandin run top PP id be game to let Rielly walk. But again finding a guy like Brodie who is so good at puck movement and defending is hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad