Proposal: Leafs need a few changes

You don’t need to agree with my plan for a shakeup, but do you think the team needs a shakeup?

• Total voters

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I won’t offer any proposals here but I do think this team would benefit from a shakeup. The only players that are safe in my eyes are Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Brodie, Muzzin, Hyman and the notable prospects.

I think Reilly is a great player but I don’t think his primarily offensive skill set is what this team needs. As much as I’d hate for him to be traded, I think it needs to happen. It also needs to be for an upgrade or for cap space to sign Dougie Hamilton. In terms of trade, I would love to acquire Seth Jones or a player of similar caliber and play styles. He’s is most likely not available but just a thought.

Secondly, I think Nylander has to go. He is an amazing offensive talent but I don’t think this excuses his lack of effort in the neutral and defensive zones. I would look to acquire a player that is pass first and stylistically similar to Kailer Yamamoto. Hard working player that knows his job is to win puck battles and set up Tavares.

In terms of goaltending, I think Dubas takes a serious look at Linus Ullmark. He puts up better numbers than Freddy and he plays on the Sabres. His injury trouble worries me but hopefully he can stay healthy. I think he would be a good starter behind the Leafs D.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
It depends what happens in the playoffs. I'm excited to see Foligno and Hutton added to the lineup and the eventual addition of Nash. If we lose in the first round, then Dubas might lose his job because he's committed to the big 4. IIRC, he gave a verbal no trade clause to Nylander. Any re-structuring of the team can't really happen if you don't trade one of the big 4.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Still too early to say IMO. There are trade deadline additions that have yet to suit up and playoff games still to be played. Beyond any cap issues, I don't think there is too much that is set in stone for the team going forward in terms of change.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
We don't need a shakeup, we just need consistent above average goaltending. Plain and simple.
I don’t think this team’s struggles can be blamed solely on mediocre goaltending. There’s definitely an issue with mental fortitude.

We have every reason to win against Vancouver because the team was crippled with COVID for a month and we lose. It’s so embarrassing that we think they’re going to come back and dominate to prove their worth and they lose again. I understand Rittich gave up a few soft goals.

The David Ayers game against Carolina showed what domination is. Carolina could’ve had no goalie in the net and they would’ve won decidedly. They smothered the Leafs and didn’t even let them in the offensive zone. They didn’t let up for a single moment. That’s mental fortitude.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Why? We're 5 points out of first place and still leading our division after a cold streak. We've got nothing to worry about yet, this is just a hot take.
These playoffs are going to be the most important playoffs in a long time because we don't have to go through Tampa or Boston to get to the conference finals.

Reactions: Thornbury

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I don’t think this team’s struggles can be blamed solely on mediocre goaltending. There’s definitely an issue with mental fortitude.

We have every reason to win against Vancouver because the team was crippled with COVID for a month and we lose. It’s so embarrassing that we think they’re going to come back and dominate to prove their worth and they lose again. I understand Rittich gave up a few soft goals.

The David Ayers game against Carolina showed what domination is. Carolina could’ve had no goalie in the net and they would’ve won decidedly. They smothered the Leafs and didn’t even let them in the offensive zone. They didn’t let up for a single moment. That’s mental fortitude.
I agree with this in terms of Ayers and this Vancouver situation. In situations where the Leafs have the obvious advantage, they are flubbing their opportunity.

Question is why. And if it is mental fortitude, I don't think swapping Thornton and Dermott for X&Y does anything. Which then becomes concerning. How can you fix a potential team-wide or even organizational-wide issue? Trade and fire everyone? Get them a sports shrink?

It is truly baffling why this happens, and it happens even after the shuffling in and out of players. It is one of those things where I just want to throw my arms up and say maybe this organization and market is truly cursed. As silly as that sounds. But it is just so weird these things keep happening regardless of who is on the team. Gotta figure it out.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't want to see prolonged losing, but I think this team needs to be tested to see how they handle adversity down the stretch. For so long, they've been preaching about the character in the room and how all the impact veterans will help. This is the time that it should come to the forefront and actually step up to the plate.

This team has too much talent to not make an impact in the playoffs. They need some sort of goaltending to show up and play half decent and they'll be fine.

Reactions: EK392000

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
We don't need a shakeup, we just need consistent above average goaltending. Plain and simple.
Yup. It’s been fun in general seeing people galaxy braining themselves into trying to find reasons for the Leafs losses, when it’s clearly goaltending.

If we had average goaltending during the slump earlier we would have won at least 4/7 of those games, and with average goaltending during these last 5 games we probably win at least 3.

People can come up with whatever reasons they want, whether it’s talent, grit, heart, leadership, coaching, special teams etc...but all of that means shit all of you don’t have goaltending. It’s just the reality of the sport of hockey at the NHL level.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yup. It’s been fun in general seeing people galaxy braining themselves into trying to find reasons for the Leafs losses, when it’s clearly goaltending.

If we had average goaltending during the slump earlier we would have won at least 4/7 of those games, and with average goaltending during these last 5 games we probably win at least 3.

People can come up with whatever reasons they want, whether it’s talent, grit, heart, leadership, coaching, special teams etc...but all of that means shit all of you don’t have goaltending. It’s just the reality of the sport of hockey at the NHL level.

People need to find something to point to other than the obvious to make themselves seem smart. That's why they're galaxy braining issues other than goaltending.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Still no jam in this team. They talk a good game how tight the room is. I wish there game was as tight as their talk. Who’s leading.... it’s definitely not Thornton,Simmonds or Engvall. Spezza does and he’s the only good signing of the three.

Last edited:

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Why are so many idiots writing eulogies on the team before the playoffs have even started?
There isn’t a single Leafs fan that isn’t a little worried when the Leafs play the Sens. Why? Because that Sens team knows that they don’t have the talent to beat the Leafs and that the best they can do is try their hardest. Sometimes that’s enough, but the Leafs will still win.

What happens when a team that has talent equal to or greater than the Leafs plays with the same kind of edge the Sens do? The Leafs lose.

You can’t watch the same games I’m watching and not see that this team takes shifts off on the ice. Great teams don’t do that. In the playoffs where skills don’t matter as much as grittiness and hard work, the Leafs won’t prevail.

That is my worry. I don’t care if the Leafs finish first in the division or just scrape into the playoffs. I want a team that gives a shit and won’t take what they have for granted. That team will try, they’ll pour their heart into every shift and that’s what it takes to win in the playoffs. Not this fancy passing and dangling bullshit that works in the regular season.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yep. The Leafs have owned the run of play/chances/shots in the Canadian division. If they had a little more consistent goaltending, they'd be even farther ahead of the pack.

Looking at yesterday, the Leafs were up 3-2 in the 3rd in a game they handily owned the balance of play. Then Big Save goes full Rittichulous and allows a back-breaking goal that an NHL goaltender just can't allow, only to follow it up with the worst goal against since Toskala.

What can you do?

Reactions: stickty111

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If the season continues go as this slump is the team may need a Colorado-like shakeup when they dealt Duchene.

Then again the Leafs haven't bottomed out like Colorado yet.

Reactions: Menzinger

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
People need to find something to point to other than the obvious to make themselves seem smart. That's why they're galaxy braining issues other than goaltending.
Or maybe you’re too simple-minded to realize that a problem can be multifaceted? If having a good goalie is all it takes to win, a team with a bad goalie shouldn’t win. I mentioned the David Ayers game as an example because it’s pertinent here. How could a team with a 42 year old Zamboni driver as their goalie win that game? Because it’s not all in good goaltending. The Canes could’ve had no goalie and the Leafs would still lose.

I’m a Leafs fan but I’m also a realist. I won’t downplay my team’s issues and reduce it to just goaltending so that I can sleep better at night. But you can keep telling yourself that it’s just goaltending and sooner or later, we’ll have prime Freddy back. Revisit this thread if prime Freddy reappears and the Leafs still lose in the playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsRus

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If the season continues go as this slump is the team may need a Colorado-like shakeup when they dealt Duchene.

Then again the Leafs haven't bottomed out like Colorado yet.

"Rittich allows two of the worst Leafs goals against since Toskala"

"Damn, this team is fundamentally broken, needs a big shakeup"

Umm...alright.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There isn’t a single Leafs fan that isn’t a little worried when the Leafs play the Sens. Why? Because that Sens team knows that they don’t have the talent to beat the Leafs and that the best they can do is try their hardest. Sometimes that’s enough, but the Leafs will still win.

What happens when a team that has talent equal to or greater than the Leafs plays with the same kind of edge the Sens do? The Leafs lose.

You can’t watch the same games I’m watching and not see that this team takes shifts off on the ice. Great teams don’t do that. In the playoffs where skills don’t matter as much as grittiness and hard work, the Leafs won’t prevail.

That is my worry. I don’t care if the Leafs finish first in the division or just scrape into the playoffs. I want a team that gives a shit and won’t take what they have for granted. That team will try, they’ll pour their heart into every shift and that’s what it takes to win in the playoffs. Not this fancy passing and dangling bullshit that works in the regular season.

I literally watched Tampa and Washington play nearly a dozen times over the past 3 weeks and each of them take shifts off. Are they not great teams? Because they have the same points % the Leafs do and they all take shifts off.

Reactions: Ciao and stickty111

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Exactly.

You can have all the skill, heart, and grit that you want on a team but if the goaltending isn't solid, none of it matters.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The goaltending is an issue. Would MGT trade one of the big boys to free up cap space to net a top ten goalie?
The other issue is the three 10mil boys. I have no issue with their AVV but my issue is why can’t they elevate others. For example, beside Hyman who is exceeding his AVV and to some extend Gally too. Had any of the their other line mates produced?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The goaltending is an issue. Would MGT trade one of the big boys to free up cap space to net a top ten goalie?
The other issue is the three 10mil boys. I have no issue with their AVV but my issue is why can’t they elevate others. For example, beside Hyman who is exceeding his AVV and to some extend Gally too. Had any of the their other line mates produced?

Goalies are so random how do you even determine who a top 10 goalie is? A top 3 goalie this year could very well be a bottom ten goalie next year.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I literally watched Tampa and Washington play nearly a dozen times over the past 3 weeks and each of them take shifts off. Are they not great teams? Because they have the same points % the Leafs do and they all take shifts off.
Okay, maybe I misidentified what the problem is. I don't think that I did but let's say that I did so we can develop your argument. In a 7 game series, both Tampa and Washington are beating the Leafs. In parallel universes, perhaps the Leafs can win one series out of ten.

If all of these teams take shifts off, there must be another thing we can pinpoint as the difference between the two teams. What is it that makes Tampa and Washington better? I would love to hear your opinion here.

Also, let me define what I meant by shifts off. Leafs are a great team and can look dominating at times, don't get me wrong. They can also get hemmed into their own zone by the Ottawa Senators. The difference I see between teams like Tampa and Washington is that those teams don't quit when they're being hemmed into their own zone. They'll continue to work and more often then not, they can get themselves out of that bind. The Leafs on the other hand, collapse in the zone and try to play zone D, the puck is cycled around them until they get tired and it sometimes results in goals.

By shifts off, all I mean is that there is more effort to be had. I won't argue that teams like Tampa and Washington can look as though they are being dominated at certain parts of the game. But the difference is they can work out of those tough spots and then the rest of their game speaks for itself.

Perhaps it is an issue of mental fortitude or perhaps it is the coaching system. Either way, change has to be made if the Leafs are to be successful in the playoffs.

Reactions: geo25 and Captain14

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
The first thing that comes to mind is to stop the defense pinching ffs. This year, has Rielly ever generated a goal on his pinches? I know for sure hes given up 100s of 2 on 1s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad