Friedman: Leafs musings

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Leafs sign both. First signing Tavares and then JVR wanting
to be part of a potential run. Something like 6.25 x 3/4.
Who needs defense!
I think after Tavares, the Leafs won’t want to add in any more big-money UFAs that last more than a season. It sounds like Matthews and Marner will wait until next offseason to negotiate new contracts, and based on Matthews’s totals playing through injuries this year, and Marner’s performance down the stretch, both will be in for huge seasons with huge raises. Gotta keep some flexibility.

Unless they intend to ship Marleau off to an island after this season, to make the cap work.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Basically any team looking for a backup I'd imagine, can't see the price being too high.
I'd be surprised if Sparks is traded, since as you say the price will likely not be high. If someone really wants Pickard, I'm sure the Leafs are willing to let him go.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Still waiting on Dubas to do something that matters, it's cool that they kept their picks and have a deep prospect pool but they still need a center, even if they get Tavares they need a center because hockey has 4 lines.

Plus they still need a D man.

Trading Nolan Vesey for a conditional 7th, and signing Carrick and Pickard doesn't cut it.
Leafs have Lindholm, Gauthier, Brooks, and still own the rights to Aaltonen. If none of those guys can crack the roster, there are plenty of cheap 4C UFAs available. And in case of injury, guys like Nylander, Marleau, and even Marner can fill in at C.

If the Leafs sign Tavares, C is not a huge priority for now. Though it should be next draft.

As for D, I wouldn’t expect a big name for the next couple of years if JT signs. There will be more of an emphasis on internal development, and team defense- which is something the likes of Tavares, Johnsson, and Kapanen will be far more useful for than Bozak and JVR.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I'd be surprised if Sparks is traded, since as you say the price will likely not be high. If someone really wants Pickard, I'm sure the Leafs are willing to let him go.
Both Pickard and Sparks will have to pass through waivers to start next season, if they’re not on the big club.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
People saying JVR is going to get paid 'something crazy' like 40m over 7 years are going to be absolutrly stunned when they see him get 7x7 or more.

He routinely scores 30+, is top 5 in the league at deflecting pucks/in front of the net, and just came off a career year where he will be the best or 2nd best FA available.

Edit: To clarify, whoever signs him is going to be disappointed with his lack of all around game for the pricetag he commands. Interesting to see if he expands his game when he becomes the first line go to offense guy on his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad