Friedman: Leafs musings

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
JVR news isn't leafs related anymore.

Based on what I've read from some people who scout the OHL. The leafs are super high on Sandin.

Reactions: Mork

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
That's insane. God Bless whoever gives him anything close.
Yeah, it would be a bad contract after the 1st season. Teams are rarely able to sign good or value contracts since the market is so inflated.

The good contracts are usually your 3rd/second line players, or players who are able to bounce back like Staal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Still waiting on Dubas to do something that matters, it's cool that they kept their picks and have a deep prospect pool but they still need a center, even if they get Tavares they need a center because hockey has 4 lines.

Plus they still need a D man.

Trading Nolan Vesey for a conditional 7th, and signing Carrick and Pickard doesn't cut it.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
If JVR signed for that I would be pissed. I wouldn't give as dime over 5M.

I'm in agreement in that I'd prefer to move on from JVR, but 5M for a consistent 30 goal scorer is not the nhl we live in now. Even a large hometown discount would obviously be much more than that.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Teams have finally figured out that first round picks are valuable.
I’m surprised it took so long.

Would qualify the statement by changing 'valuable' to "have value".

Folks around here act like every pick 1-31 is a top 6 or top pairing player. Truthfully, first round picks are only likely to become full time NHL'ers and that's about it. If you deal that pick for a guaranteed full time NHL'er now (because, you'd like to go for success based on current team dynamic) - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Rounds 2-7 are just extra spins on the slot machine.

- Guentzel (Rd 3)
- Murray (Rd 3)
- Jarry (Rd 2)
- DeSmith (Undrafted)
- Hagelin (Rd 6)
- Hornqvist (Rd 7)
- Sheary (Undrafted)
- Rust (Rd 3)
- Sprong (Rd 2)
- Simon (Rd 6)
- Letang (Rd 3)
- Dumoulin (Rd 2)
- Schultz (Rd 2)

Pens first round players:
+ Sid
+ Geno
+ Maatta

- Kessel
- Brassard
- Oleksiak
- Sheahan

+ We have three roster players on the team who've actually been selected BY the Pens in the first round.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
JVR news isn't leafs related anymore.

Based on what I've read from some people who scout the OHL. The leafs are super high on Sandin.
I would love to see a Sandin-Lily pairing in the future. Look to be decent compliments for each other too

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Puljujarvi is nothing like Yakupov . Try watching hockey it will give you a better understanding of values with respect to players on other teams
And after his D+2 year Yak was “nothing like” Daigle and Stefan. Except that they all stink

speedyjyj

Jun 26, 2018
Teronna
JVR can go piggyback and float somewhere else. We have to have better team defense from the forwards to go anywhere and he actively makes that worse. He's going to get 7 years for a lot of money from someone and I'm praying it's not Toronto.

Agreed, as long as he goes West.

speedyjyj

Jun 26, 2018
Teronna
Still waiting on Dubas to do something that matters, it's cool that they kept their picks and have a deep prospect pool but they still need a center, even if they get Tavares they need a center because hockey has 4 lines.

Plus they still need a D man.

Trading Nolan Vesey for a conditional 7th, and signing Carrick and Pickard doesn't cut it.

Signing Pickard was insurance in case someone wants McElhinney (~50k cap difference, Pickard is younger) - the rest is filling depth.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
In my opinion, JVR's a luxury item we can't afford anymore. With our need to upgrade our defense plus the impending salary increases to Matthews, Marner and Nylander, I simply don't think we can afford him even at $5M/year.

Someone's going to pay him a lot because there are few better in front of the net. He can and will score goals for you every year. But we can't afford him anymore, and while we have no direct replacement for what he brings at the moment we can improve our play at even strength to compensate IMO.

Where are those 36 goals gonna come from? Oilers got themselves in a similar pickle...undervaluing offensive production.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

We haven't even hit free agency yet and you're "still waiting on Dubas to do something that matters." My god, this fanbase.

BTW we signed our 4th line centre already in all likelihood, Lindholm. And why would we make moves on the 3rd centre position before we know how Tavares shakes out?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We haven't even hit free agency yet and you're "still waiting on Dubas to do something that matters." My god, this fanbase.

BTW we signed our 4th line centre already in all likelihood, Lindholm. And why would we make moves on the 3rd centre position before we know how Tavares shakes out?

Par Lindholm to me is AHL depth I don't except him to be the 4th line guy, even if he does start there I except them to be looking for a replacement by Christmas, if not sooner

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Puljujarvi is nothing like Yakupov . Try watching hockey it will give you a better understanding of values with respect to players on other teams

Sure when can I tune in to watch Yakupov light it up for EDM? !

This highlight of his game-tying goal is wearing off a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad