Friedman: Leafs musings

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
12. Not surprisingly, a lot of Day 1 interest in James van Riemsdyk. One team indicated they were told he’d narrow the field in the middle of the week.
13. Apparently, Toronto was asking a pretty big price for anyone to get into the 25th spot. They were looking for defencemen.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Jvr’s gonna wait for JT to make his decision then he’s gonna cash in so fat with one of the teams who misses out. 7x40-45m

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Leafs sign both. First signing Tavares and then JVR wanting
to be part of a potential run. Something like 6.25 x 3/4.
Who needs defense!

Reactions: HavocWreaker

member 157595

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Leafs sign both. First signing Tavares and then JVR wanting
to be part of a potential run. Something like 6.25 x 3/4.
Who needs defense!

JVR can go piggyback and float somewhere else. We have to have better team defense from the forwards to go anywhere and he actively makes that worse. He's going to get 7 years for a lot of money from someone and I'm praying it's not Toronto.

member 157595

If JVR signed for that I would be pissed. I wouldn't give as dime over 5M.

In my opinion, JVR's a luxury item we can't afford anymore. With our need to upgrade our defense plus the impending salary increases to Matthews, Marner and Nylander, I simply don't think we can afford him even at $5M/year.

Someone's going to pay him a lot because there are few better in front of the net. He can and will score goals for you every year. But we can't afford him anymore, and while we have no direct replacement for what he brings at the moment we can improve our play at even strength to compensate IMO.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Do you mean 4 seasons (2.5 seasons of actual play) or do you mean 2 seasons (1.25 seasons of actual play)?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that Tanev only has two more seasons of team control then will require a stupid UFA overpay for what he brings. I'm far from one of those guys who over value prospects, but in this instance I would rather have SDA and Sandin for longer team control (even as trade assets) than two seasons of Tanev where he will probably be injured a good chunk of the time. If you asked me a year ago before we knew Liljegren would fall so far to our pick I probably would of done that pick plus something like Kapanen or Brown for three years of half a season Chris Tanev and hope that half year is during the playoffs.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I predict he will sign a 7 x 7.5 M contract. If Evander Kane was able to get 7 x 7 M, then JVR could push for 8 M in a weak Free Agent class.

If John Tavares resigns with the New York Islanders, who would be his competition? The most notable forward Free Agents would be Rick Nash, Bozak and Vanek, who are all inferior players.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I predict he will sign a 7 x 7.5 M contract. If Evander Kane was able to get 7 x 7 M, then JVR could push for 8 M in a weak Free Agent class.

If John Tavares resigns with the New York Islanders, who would be his competition? The most notable forward Free Agents would be Rick Nash, Bozak and Vanek, who are all inferior players.

That's insane. God Bless whoever gives him anything close.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Ya it definitely hurts more to miss on a couple late 1sts than 1st overall and 4th overall...this is a path you don't want to go down...
I'm good thanks, Yakupov is the only miss you could make a case for at this point. Puljujarvi is not a miss yet the kid just turned 20. Outside of Yak draft class our drafting has been decent last while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->