Eklund Rumor: Leafs Moving On From JVR

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
eh ice time is going down but he still has 5 points in 7 games after a disaster January where he only put up 3 points, other months he has had 8,9,10 points so pretty consistent.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Eklund is a clown, don't click his links and give him the traffic.

Called E4, E5 Stamkos to Toronto like 5X just last year, as I bring up in every Leafs-Eklund thread. It needs to be said.

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
You aren't going to offer what it would take to get Ellis. Poile has zero reason to move him.

Nashville has extra depth at D, and could use more scoring/depth up front.

Toronto has extra scoring/depth up front, and could use more D.

Both teams have what each other needs to balance their respective line ups.

Are they going to offer up what it would take, probably not, but the potential is there for a good hockey trade.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Dont care for Eklund and he probably got no sources anyways.

But from a eye test, JVR is just not fitting in well with the leafs anymore. His ice time is decreasing game by game. His defensive game is just trash and he makes little to no effort in getting back.

The only time his legs seem to move is when he's in the offensive end but even then he looks off. The only time he looks noticeable now a days is on the Power play.

JVR still has great hands and skill but someone like Leivo in his spot, would make a much larger impact game by game on both ends of the ice

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Last Saturday it was reported on HNIC that the Leafs have told teams that JVR is not available. 6 days later Eklund, of all people, says he "senses" the Leafs will deal him.

The unavailable comment could be a front, trying to increase value on him before the deadline. Because the Leafs dont leak information unless they want it to be leaked. However, I dont see a team trading a defenseman or center for a UFA winger unless the Leafs add.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nashville has extra depth at D, and could use more scoring/depth up front.

Toronto has extra scoring/depth up front, and could use more D.

Both teams have what each other needs to balance their respective line ups.

Are they going to offer up what it would take, probably not, but the potential is there for a good hockey trade.
Extra scoring/depth that actually has immediate and long-term value to the Preds? Better be bringing more than JVR, Bozak, Kapanen, Leivo or some picks if you want to talk Ellis.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Extra scoring/depth that actually has immediate and long-term value to the Preds? Better be bringing more than JVR, Bozak, Kapanen, Leivo or some picks if you want to talk Ellis.

Which is why I said what I did. Leftovers and things they are willing to let go of is not going to get you a top pairing D.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I don’t know what’s going to happen to him but I’m surprised that if he’s available teams aren’t creaming their pants. He’s the definition of consistent. 30 goals 30 assists plus he seems like a really nice guy that would be a nice character add for the locker room. If it wasn’t for the contract expiring I’d love him in Edmonton. Think he’d do beautifully next to either Draisaitl or McDavid.

Truthfully I’ve only watched a handful of leafs games this year but in them he seemed very strong on the boards and good at transition but I’ve also seen some leaf fans saying that’s his weakness. Could somebody who has watched him more give me more insight on him?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
The point is to trade JVR but get back something that can help the team in the playoffs, plus something for the future.
Didnt lou say JVr is not going anywhere? even if they lose him in the summer they need his elite offence for the playoffs. as an outsider looking in I would move Kadri and Bozack. Each should get you a 3rd or A 4th

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I'm confident we could sign him, and reuniting Faulk with Hainsey could spark Faulk's offensive play.

We can work out adds to make it more balanced but those two should be centerpieces in a deal.
Faulk for A rental on A team that isn't making the playoffs? only to lose him in July doesn't make much sense.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Dont care for Eklund and he probably got no sources anyways.

But from a eye test, JVR is just not fitting in well with the leafs anymore. His ice time is decreasing game by game. His defensive game is just trash and he makes little to no effort in getting back.

The only time his legs seem to move is when he's in the offensive end but even then he looks off. The only time he looks noticeable now a days is on the Power play.

JVR still has great hands and skill but someone like Leivo in his spot, would make a much larger impact game by game on both ends of the ice

You can always tell the people who don't watch Leafs games based on when they compare JVR to Leivo. It's a very good litmus test.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Sportnet's Luke Fox also speculating a possible replacement for JVR.

"For all those fans irked that Marleau’s three-year contract ate into money earmarked for JVR, well, Johnsson looks like he could make for a smooth transition away from the van Riemsdyk era."

Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs may already have their next JVR - Sportsnet.ca

This is the logical internal replacement for JVR. My understanding is this is why the Leafs are comfortable with the "own rental" concept when it comes to JVR. They feel like they can use the cap space to help address depth in other areas and allow AJ to compete for the job next September.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Didnt lou say JVr is not going anywhere? even if they lose him in the summer they need his elite offence for the playoffs. as an outsider looking in I would move Kadri and Bozack. Each should get you a 3rd or A 4th

"Bozack"

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don’t know what’s going to happen to him but I’m surprised that if he’s available teams aren’t creaming their pants. He’s the definition of consistent. 30 goals 30 assists plus he seems like a really nice guy that would be a nice character add for the locker room. If it wasn’t for the contract expiring I’d love him in Edmonton. Think he’d do beautifully next to either Draisaitl or McDavid.

Truthfully I’ve only watched a handful of leafs games this year but in them he seemed very strong on the boards and good at transition but I’ve also seen some leaf fans saying that’s his weakness. Could somebody who has watched him more give me more insight on him?

Most Leafs fans who criticize him don't watch games closely. They point to JVR being a minus player as a winger on a scoring line, but then scoff at plus minus in reference to a guy like Morgan Reilly. They are hard pressed to point to actual plays where JVRs poor play in his own zone led to a goal against, but then get mad if you point out that Morgan directly caused us multiple wins throughout the season with his brutal play. It's tough sledding when you watch games as closely as someone like me.

JVR is never going to be in the Selke conversation, but he does the hardest thing there is to do in the sport, and that's scores goals year after year after damn year. It just so happens we have tons of goal scoring, so we may pass on him in the summer if his number gets outrageous. I would think he'll end up being a very sought after FA in the summer and some team will get 26-30 goals.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is the logical internal replacement for JVR. My understanding is this is why the Leafs are comfortable with the "own rental" concept when it comes to JVR. They feel like they can use the cap space to help address depth in other areas and allow AJ to compete for the job next September.

All of Kappy, Brown, Leivo have more impressive ahl scoring track records than Johnsson.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

He's very good at what he does best; In front of the net work... his ability to get a deflection, scramble for loose pucks and bury them is high end.

The reason why leaf fans, including myself, are fine in trading him are because of a few things.
1. We have internal replacements (Kapanen/Leivo/Johnsson)
2. We don't want to lose him for nothing
3. He doesn't play prime minutes with our future / has been attached to Bozak(who is likely gone aswell)

I don't mind JvR, think he is a good enough teammate and solid hockey player. I just don't think he fits Babcocks system too well. Outside of PP and 3rd pairing matchup; Babs isn't utilizing him enough to fork over what he is likely worth on his next contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad