Eklund Rumor: Leafs Moving On From JVR

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
JVR for Jack Johnson. UFA for UFA filling the other teams needs and both teams can resign "their guy"

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think JVR gets traded as well. He'll go in a package for a good defenseman IMO.
While i would be OK with that....not sure how that will happen. The only teams that will be interested in a rental like JVR will be playoff teams....how many of them are trading a good Dman?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
JVR’s ice time is down because Babcock only uses him to score goals. When Leafs go up early and a lead needs protecting Babcock plays the Kadri and 4th line more which is why Komarov is up at 20mins a game some days.

Come playoff time JVR will likely be relied on more as the games will be closer.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
They are basically playing JVR fourth line minutes so they might as well trade him for christ sake. I would get rid of him for the highest and/or as many picks as possible. Get leivo in the linueup asap. This is such a no brainer that I’m outside yelling at the clouds because this hasn’t happened yet.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If they could sign JVR to an extension, maybe?
even that sounds like a stretch, they're pretty strong on the left side and JVR doesn't seem like the right target for a team that needs a center and isn't necessarily on the cusp of contending

Raymond foley

Jan 26, 2018
Agreed, I can't see them trading their Captain, although I did peek at Carolina's roster/salary situation and have some thoughts.

Reasons why it could be a fit:

1. JVR's brother is on the team (not that it's a huge factor but Carolina has done this before *cough Staal*)
2. Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce's ELCs are all up at the same time, that's a lot of money on D for a team that's not spending to the cap and has attendance issues. JVR would save them some real dollars, not cap hit.
3. Faulk's actual salary of 6M next year is greater than his 4.8M cap hit
4. Carolina needs scoring - JVR definitely helps with that, he will probably sign for 5.5ish
5. Leafs could take a salary dump

The Leafs would have to add big time though.

JVR (He will re-sign)
Carrick
2nd Rounder
Really good prospect
and probably a conditional 2019 1st or a straight second.

Longtimeleaffan85

Feb 8, 2018
Looking at what people are looking for nash as a ufa ... Im all for contending but a solid d prospect and a first for jvr...lou would have to crazy to reject it

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Of all the eklund "rumors" . Thirds ddie's make sense. The leafs may be moving on from jvr. Firmly inn a playoff spot, they may be reducing his Ice time to see what impact that has on the team. Or. They move on in the off season as a pending ufa.

Either way. He might "technically" get this one right.

But he's still a dope. And I still hate jvr.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
His ice time is decreasing because the Leafs are often leading and he isnt good defensively.

Im other words its called "coaching".

Hes almost certainly not going to get traded and will leave as a UFA

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
JvR is not going to return you a top 4 dman. He’s good in front of the net and that’s pretty much it. Everybody sees how he’s being utilized and he’s a rental.

Any team trying to make the playoffs will not look at JvR and say ”yeah, lets weaken our D to get a guy like that”.

Teams not making the playoffs don’t want a rental.

Leafs could explore trying to get futures for him but what’s the point. They’re a good team on their way to a playoff run. You don’t want to go ”man wish we had some net front presence, oh wait” in the playoffs. It’s not like he’s getting you this awesome package of assets, he’s not that good. Besides, Lou has a history of not trading rentals away if he’s making the playoffs.

JvR will help the Leafs in the playoffs then likely walk. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

I don’t even think it’s that great of a market for JvR this trade deadline. You can likely get Maroon for less, Nash is a better 2-way player with wheels, Kane has the physical game and speed, there’s Pacioretty etc.

In fact, todays trend of wanting every line to be able to play at least decent defense, and speed speed speed, i think JvR’s stock is somewhat questionable. He’ll find a home in the summer on a team that specifically wants/needs a guy with his skillset, but there’s no doubt in my mind there are more teams who would rather spend that money elsewhere because it doesn’t fit in the way they’re trying to build their team.

Reactions: Burnie97

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
JvR is not going to return you a top 4 dman. He’s good in front of the net and that’s pretty much it. Everybody sees how he’s being utilized and he’s a rental.

Any team trying to make the playoffs will not look at JvR and say ”yeah, lets weaken our D to get a guy like that”.

Teams not making the playoffs don’t want a rental.

Leafs could explore trying to get futures for him but what’s the point. They’re a good team on their way to a playoff run. You don’t want to go ”man wish we had some net front presence, oh wait” in the playoffs. It’s not like he’s getting you this awesome package of assets, he’s not that good. Besides, Lou has a history of not trading rentals away if he’s making the playoffs.

JvR will help the Leafs in the playoffs then likely walk. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

I don’t even think it’s that great of a market for JvR this trade deadline. You can likely get Maroon for less, Nash is a better 2-way player with wheels, Kane has the physical game and speed, there’s Pacioretty etc.

In fact, todays trend of wanting every line to be able to play at least decent defense, and speed speed speed, i think JvR’s stock is somewhat questionable. He’ll find a home in the summer on a team that specifically wants/needs a guy with his skillset, but there’s no doubt in my mind there are more teams who would rather spend that money elsewhere because it doesn’t fit in the way they’re trying to build their team.

This right here... definitely agree. As much as I would like to see Leafs somehow get assets back for JVR, I doubt it happens now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad