Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to the canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We give up the 6th most shots in the league per game. The teams doing worse are Ottawa, Chicago, Detroit, NYR, and Anaheim, i.e. not very good teams and not teams giving up a ton of shots simply due to scoring effects and usually having the lead (they're ranked 13, 17, 19, 22, and 23rd in league standings).

As for the breakdown with the Leafs, we've given up 244 shots in the 1st period this season, 224 in the 2nd, and 257 in the 3rd. We're not giving up dramatically more shots in the 3rd due to scoring effects, we're giving up a lot in general.

244 in the 1st, the period which should have the least amount of scoring effects, extrapolates to 732 per game, which through 22 games is 33.3 shots against per game. Which is actually worse than our current 33.0 shots against/game. So it's not like we have solid shots against in the 1st/2nd which are being weighed down by the end of the game trying to hold leads (2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Situational | Hockey-Reference.com).

We're also #8 in the league for high danger scoring chances against, so we're not just giving up soft peripheral shots (Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick).
Carolina vs Leafs is often a case study in how different systems can look. They used pressure and support all over the ice, even if it led to breakdowns. We do more or less the opposite.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We give up the 6th most shots in the league per game. The teams doing worse are Ottawa, Chicago, Detroit, NYR, and Anaheim, i.e. not very good teams and not teams giving up a ton of shots simply due to scoring effects and usually having the lead (they're ranked 13, 17, 19, 22, and 23rd in league standings).

As for the breakdown with the Leafs, we've given up 244 shots in the 1st period this season, 224 in the 2nd, and 257 in the 3rd. We're not giving up dramatically more shots in the 3rd due to scoring effects, we're giving up a lot in general.

244 in the 1st, the period which should have the least amount of scoring effects, extrapolates to 732 per game, which through 22 games is 33.3 shots against per game. Which is actually worse than our current 33.0 shots against/game. So it's not like we have solid shots against in the 1st/2nd which are being weighed down by the end of the game trying to hold leads (2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Situational | Hockey-Reference.com).

We're also #8 in the league for high danger scoring chances against, so we're not just giving up soft peripheral shots (Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick).

Doesn't seem so bad to the eye. Maybe all the winning is glossing over reality. That's pretty interesting stuff, does it get into what lines of ours are the primary cause of all the shots against. I am willing to bet the current 3rd line has been really really bad based off the eye. Kadri has been rather weak and that the 4th line has had a positive influence.

Reactions: 613Leafer

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Carolina vs Leafs is often a case study in how different systems can look. They used pressure and support all over the ice, even if it led to breakdowns. We do more or less the opposite.

We're thin without Nylander and Matthews. The 3rd line is a huge liability when the pressure is on, they make far too many mistakes. The bottom 6 has needed roster adjustments for weeks now.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Canes style itself is pretty good. You can see why they are dying for a Nylander type player for some finish and you could see why we would want Slavin minimum for him. Not sure a deal is there for either side though.

The Aho line killed us pretty bad, especially in the first. Don't like seeing Babs not trusting our top pairing with the oppositions best line the last couple games and switching to the 2nd.

Bad ice hurt us as well. Bad ice and stretch passes don't work that well.

Hainsey and Zaitsev need to keep it simple and hammer that puck off the boards. Don't worry about giving it away far away from the net if there a chance you are gonna give it away in the zone. Let Gards/Rielly worry about fancy transitions.

Kadri looks like he has the flu the last couple games. No jump.

The third line was an abyss. Lindholms worst game as a Leaf IMO.

Ennis is really good with the puck, so good he even dekes himself out sometimes. I'd actually like to see him with Kadri next game though. Gotta mix things up to try to get guys moving.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We're thin without Nylander and Matthews. The 3rd line is a huge liability when the pressure is on, they make far too many mistakes. The bottom 6 has needed roster adjustments for weeks now.
Like ?
A0B4A1A2-C80A-4BFD-BBD8-104E204D2A4C.jpeg

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
nobody noticed Tyler Ennis had one of the best dekes ever even the announcers didn't spot it. He pretended to flip the puck into the corner like a harmless nothing play and the defenceman reacted accordingly because he's seen it a million times before. Except Ennis whipped his stick out and snapped the puck back to himself out of the air. Was amazing. The defenceman got lucky and happened to break it up but it was still amazing and I hope he tries it again at some point.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
nobody noticed Tyler Ennis had one of the best dekes ever even the announcers didn't spot it. He pretended to flip the puck into the corner like a harmless nothing play and the defenceman reacted accordingly because he's seen it a million times before. Except Ennis whipped his stick out and snapped the puck back to himself out of the air. Was amazing. The defenceman got lucky and happened to break it up but it was still amazing and I hope he tries it again at some point.

Ennis Lindy Leivo may be worth a shot for a bit if they want some production out of L3. Brown a member of the Babcock youth program though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How this board would have cried if Sparks let in that goal Kapanen scored last night. How about all those weird angle shots McBackup looked sketchy on? Sparks would have been roasted.
Cried? That would mean Sparks was a Cane and the Leafs probably win that game.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
What the hell was old man Hainsey thinking on the Canes third PP goal? Point man breaks his stick attempting a shot that comes right to you and instead of just firing it out towards the side that the dude with NO STICK is covering you try a blue line pass that fails and ends up in the back of your net as the game winning goal.

Reactions: dsred

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
First team I've seen this year to totally outskate the Leafs. But give Leafs credit they showed some fight back in 2nd period on road. Them Canes are better than their standings position shows. Aho and Russian kid are much better than I realized. Slavin is also much better than I thought. But their team speed is really what shows through. They will fight with Buffalo for the wildcard.

Reactions: CarolinaCaniac

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

While its been rough lately, Its not quite as bleak a picture as you are painting. Once you do make the adjustments for score/venue effects and then do HD chances/60, the Leafs slip down to 13th most (right next to the "best defense ever" Sharks) so there is definite truth that the Leafs have been giving up lots of shots but a ton of them from the outside and our D has actually been really good in front of the net this year compared with years prior.

Looking forward to seeing us get 2 of our top 5 guys back in the lineup soon as I'm sure the trickle down effect from that crazy amount of talent injected into the lineup is going to push possession and scoring differential for us.

Looking at the leader charts and , yep, Matthews still leads the league in goals per game and points per game. Add in a fresh and hungry Nylander wanting to prove himself and this team is going to be much better than it is now (please come back this year Willy).

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Kadri had a bad game. And Johnsson had a bad game. The later had a BAD season so far.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Babcock needs to flip the 3rd and 4th line wingers. Johnsson and Brown have been atrocious all season.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I think that Trevor Moore could be in the lineup on Friday now that the win streak has been broken.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think Calvin De Haan may have been the most impressive of Carolina's D-men from last night.

Solid top 4 LHD, in my opinion.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I hate to say it, but Hainsey is done. He's been directly responsible for 1-2 goals per game on average. It could be even worse if not for Freddy's stellar goaltending.

We're not going anywhere with him in the top four, and I don't even know if he can handle the responsibility of being on the 3rd pairing anymore.

He was exactly what the doctor ordered when we initially signed him, but he just can't handle the pace of the modern game at his age.

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->