Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to the canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
We seem to lose more to Carolina than we should given their annual suckiness. I have no stats to back this up.
Yeah but I mean in general teams are ready for us THIS YEAR to start the game. Would be nice to have them start on time but these losses happen from time to time. Hopefully they learn from it. 29 shots against in one period, let alone the first, is terrible. Especially if you're an NHL team. Sure Carolina didnt like when we pumped them for 9 goals last year in that new era 2pm game or w/e it was lol

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
So...

2 teams about the same in speed.
1 has more depth and talent
1 has more size and physicality.

The team with depth and talent didnt show up half the game with key players looking blase.

The other team had the big physical guys skate the best.

To top it off - our ex backup goalie stopped alot of our chances. No rebounds. No floppy panics. And then laughed at us.

He was so good... the guys on the canes side of things are calling him Mcstarter.

McStarter.....

Silver lining we still brought it. Go LEAFS go!!

That team with "depth and talent" was also missing two of its most talented players.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
nobody noticed Tyler Ennis had one of the best dekes ever even the announcers didn't spot it. He pretended to flip the puck into the corner like a harmless nothing play and the defenceman reacted accordingly because he's seen it a million times before. Except Ennis whipped his stick out and snapped the puck back to himself out of the air. Was amazing. The defenceman got lucky and happened to break it up but it was still amazing and I hope he tries it again at some point.
I agree, I was like wow, wasnt expecting that. Sweet move.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
i blame the loss mostly on the horrible ice surface.
You can't blame the ice lmao. As easy as it is to blame it, it falls on the players minus Fred. They werent ready or looked tired from the amount of hockey they played. If the ice is shit, hockey 101 states to keep it simple. No long stretch passes, no fancy moves, just a simple pass with close support and put it in deep. You know, ugly hockey. Quite lucky it was only 2-1 after 1. Almost made a game out of it. These kids nowadays.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Some Leafs probably holding back in fear of being packaged with Nylander to Carolina... while all of Carolina played their hearts out, hoping to be packaged in a trade to Toronto. :sarcasm:
No need for :sarcasm:. There was likely a bit of truth to your claim.

Kadri has been rumored to be on the move for one of their D. So, him laying a huge egg might make sense.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Still think that first goal should have been interference last night. Andy was bumped and his blocker hit off by the Canes player. Man that's a hard call to get.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Still think that first goal should have been interference last night. Andy was bumped and his blocker hit off by the Canes player. Man that's a hard call to get.
Exactly. Had that been done to McElhinney, that goal is called back on our Leafs, no problem. Our Leafs have had goals called back because a Leaf player simply brushes an opposing goalie without taking off any of their equipment.

This goal was allowed simply because it was a small market franchise having trouble attracting fans. Plain and simple, end of story.

Reactions: DanM

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Had Johnsson been stronger on his stick it wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: DanM

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Can't think of a team we don't bother to show up against more than the canes. Maybe the panthers.

Either way a mid week game vs the canes is about the least exciting game I can think of.

We all knew McBackup would have his revenge.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I predicted Curtis would play like Jesus Christ and we would lose. I should play the lottery.

It was more a case of us sucking than Curtis being amazing.

Anyhow, I think it's a sign of the times that we play like crap, lose, and this thread has only 10 pages at this point. Usually IIRC we'd be up to at least 30 pages by now with people wanting to trade everyone and fire the coach. I can only assume this is because people are finally starting to understand that this is a really good team we have here and one bad game doesn't change that fact.

Of course if we lose tomorrow, all bets are off. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 1specter

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I predicted Curtis would play like Jesus Christ and we would lose. I should play the lottery.
91xOk%2Bu6YJL._SY741_.jpg

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Exactly. Had that been done to McElhinney, that goal is called back on our Leafs, no problem. Our Leafs have had goals called back because a Leaf player simply brushes an opposing goalie without taking off any of their equipment.

This goal was allowed simply because it was a small market franchise having trouble attracting fans. Plain and simple, end of story.

It was for sure a BS call

Reactions: Al14

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Going to be interesting watching tonight’s games... now that the precedent’s been set that players can slash off the opposing goalie’s equipment before scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->