Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to Rangers 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
A well thought out response is one thing, but a hot take is based on a recent event/game purely out of emotion. The hate Matthews is getting right now, or that Babcock needs to be fired... stuff like that is definitely a hot take without much thought put behind it.
Well said.
I agree.

Reactions: SprDaVE

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
A well thought out response is one thing, but a hot take is based on a recent event/game purely out of emotion. The hate Matthews is getting right now, or that Babcock needs to be fired... stuff like that is definitely a hot take without much thought put behind it.

Once all the kids are signed and Marleau and Gardiner are off the cap, we won't even remember how much Matthews makes.

Reactions: CelticDruid

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He does not score goals. Maybe it was a 2-1 loss instead of a 4-1 loss. Big deal either way it was a loss.

Goal 1 2 massive giveaways in our end first by Rielly which Sparlie makes 2 10 bellers bang bang and then Marner gave it away in slot for a wide open shot.

Goal 2 also a wide open shot on a 3 on 2 from a perfect slot shot created because Hainsey gambled on blue line and he does not have NHL speed anymore so he could not get back and help.

Goal 3 was massive garbage but still thanks Matty for totally screening him and then doing the flamingo to get out of the way of a wrister from point. He turns his body to get out of the way of puck. In my day that meant you got benched for a shift for being a p*ssy.

There is no point in scape goats. It was a team loss and the forwards needed to score on their 55 shots. Blaming Sparkie is just total bogus.
"There is no point in scape goats" he says, naming Rielly, Marner, Hainsey, and Matthews as the scapegoats on the first three goals.

Reactions: RLF and dsred

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Glad 11.634 million boy coasted this whole game.
I would have benched his *ss to the pine after the 3rd goal. I would have tapped him on shoulder and said keep your spot on bench warm you are done this game. There are some plays made in a game when you disrespect your teammates when a coach needs to sit you down. It sends a bad message to team when 1 guy gets preferential treatment. To me there is nothing worse than a flamingo on a goal from point when you are a forward. It says f8ck you i would rather give up a goal then block it. And it was coming straight at him so it would have been easy for him to let it hit him. Moving to side to get out of the way of it. Instant benching.

Reactions: dsred

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
"There is no point in scape goats" he says, naming Rielly, Marner, Hainsey, and Matthews as the scapegoats on the first three goals.
My point was it was not just the goalie. Many other guys made errors in game too. And some of our big game players.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Because you understand statistics, you would not bet in a situation where you can win a million dollars and have nothing to lose. Seems reasonable....
My mistake - I thought it was a normal bet, there if I was wrong, I would owe you.

If you are making a bet where you can lose but not win, and expect me to make a decision based on what would appear, to the untrained eye, to be clear evidence pointing one way, I would obviously go against that. So I would say the Leafs lost.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
My mistake - I thought it was a normal bet, there if I was wrong, I would owe you.

If you are making a bet where you can lose but not win, and expect me to make a decision based on what would appear, to the untrained eye, to be clear evidence pointing one way, I would obviously go against that. So I would say the Leafs lost.

It hurts you so much to have to face the axiomatic definition of your own fallacy, that you must lie.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Meh, I think the Rangers goalie was in our head long before that

The 3rd goal wasn't good but the way things were going nothing was getting past that dude, to call it frustrating would be an understatement

Complete domination, and we still lost somehow
Gotta love the randomness of hockey

The last Calgary vs Vancouver game was just like the Rangers game-pure domination by Calgary and Markstrom stood on his head to win in the shootout.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The last Calgary vs Vancouver game was just like the Rangers game-pure domination by Calgary and Markstrom stood on his head to win in the shootout.

Hockey reminds me a lot of football

You can get curb stomped but if you can hang in there somehow (goaltending, parking the bus) you can still steal a result against the run of play

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am just concerned by what I have been seeing all season long. We definitely are winning based on talent alone. I don't see much structure or a system. I do believe we are underachieving. I believe this team should be much closer to TB than to Montreal/Boston. We shouldn't be battling with those teams, we should be battling with TB for first place.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I am just concerned by what I have been seeing all season long. We definitely are winning based on talent alone. I don't see much structure or a system. I do believe we are underachieving. I believe this team should be much closer to TB than to Montreal/Boston. We shouldn't be battling with those teams, we should be battling with TB for first place.
Exactly! Our talent, including Babcock, has frittered away 5 or more possible wins with lazy play and/or poor decisions.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm the first one to complain if the leafs are getting lucky and unsustainable success, but they really aren't. Underlying numbers are all good

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I feel like we should be better than we are, but we aren't.
well, I agree with that. I think the biggest problem by far is the powerplay. it should be at least top 5 in the league, but it's not even close. I also think Marleau plays way too much, and Nylander and Johnsson aren't playing enough

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This loss is frustrating.

Kadri had 100 scoring chances but it's like he doesn't even care. Doesn't even look where he's shooting. Just puts a muffin towards the net.

Then Matthews is out there playing sloppy hockey with Marleau. Even Marner would disappear on that line. Kapanen is a one man show.

This should have been an easy win and a multi point game for Matthews/Nylander.

Any arm chair GM can see it's time to roll MAtthews/nylander and tavares/marner and tear up the league like tampa.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Man, it's pretty impressive that Matthews is almost on a 100 point pace despite having played like crap for 70% of the season, just floating around scared of contact while not making players around him better. You'd almost think that perhaps some of those things can't be true.

This is like the Nylander situation where people are just looking for reasons to be pissed. At least with Willy, you understood the reason for it.
It's really easy to see that he avoids contact whenever possible.
That's just a fact.
With a way too big of a % of the team following suit.
Way way way too soft.
Great skill.
Heart/Toughnesss/Etc...
Aside from 2 or 3 players is non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad