Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose, season over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
There is no way Marner will return good value with the flat cap. There is also no way the leafs will retain on him or take back cap dumps. As a result I dont see any chance Marner is traded.

If it is any of the big 4 it will be Nylander as it has always been, Marner's contract made sure he had a NMC before it was even possible to have one. Personally I think we will move out AJ and Kap for futures/Rielly's partner and will basically try again with the same core. Not sure if I agree with it but the flat cap limits options and the only 'blow up' they could actually do would be to trade guys like Nylander, Rielly and Anderson which doesn't make sense in my mind.

If you can get a top pairing RD that fits in stylistically with Rielly you gotta think about moving Nylander. I'm a big Nylander fan but it will take a good asset to get the defenseman the leafs need.

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Did anyone else think AJ played pretty well? Had a few shots, battled behind the boards etc.

Some ice cold stuff from management, definitely a little audition in what they perceived could likely be their last game before he is shopped.
I think Keefe has watched Rudy too many times, inserting AJ and expecting a miracle was a long shot at best............

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Torts schooled Keefe??? I feel the Leafs were the better team with puck possession, shots on goal, time in the offensive zone. The truth is Korpisalo was a wall period and cudos to him.
Rope a Dope Hockey my friend. Let the Leafs have the puck as much as they want on the outside and limit dangerous chances and take advantage of mistakes. Leafs were outscored 10-3 at 5 on 5.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The pick is top 10 protected. But realistically, 12.5% chance we get Laf, which means 87.5% that Carolina ends up with the Leafs 1st pick which will be in the 11-15 range....Dubas has to be sitting there going...:booboo:..atleast thats my hope...otherwise we've got bigger problems if he still doubles down on this..
It will just be put down as 'Lou's fault' like everything else Dubas messes up.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny, Dubie, Freddy, Willy and AJ/Kappy and most of D core gotta go and we need an experienced GM/Prez , maybe Tallon, with a strong Ontario based OHL GM like Hunter to make da proper trades. We can't go with shannaplan any more to lead us through these changes. These trades of Kadri for barrie have to stop. Marleau for our 1st rounder. Stupid gets stupider.

Analytics is a brand new field and even da top analytics guys say it represents less than 30% of da game today ... in 25 years from now it will represent more of game as it develops over time ... 50% of game is experience/recruiting/drafting ... and luck maybe 20% of game which will never go away

Too much inexperience ... leads to losers LOSING ... so sad for guys like Matty, JT and Mo who have big hearts but can only do so much ... they are not Orr or Gretz so they can't do it on their own but they are great pieces to build a team off of ...

We need a new direction, another goalie and a new d core ... and we can't let shannaplan do it

Reactions: LeafsRus

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Shanny, Dubie, Freddy, Willy and AJ/Kappy and most of D core gotta go and we need an experienced GM/Prez , maybe Tallon, with a strong Ontario based OHL GM like Hunter to make da proper trades. We can't go with shannaplan any more to lead us through these changes. These trades of Kadri for barrie have to stop. Marleau for our 1st rounder. Stupid gets stupider.

Analytics is a brand new field and even da top analytics guys say it represents less than 30% of da game today ... in 25 years from now it will represent more of game as it develops over time ... 50% of game is experience/recruiting/drafting ... and luck maybe 20% of game which will never go away

Too much inexperience ... leads to losers LOSING ... so sad for guys like Matty, JT and Mo who have big hearts but can only do so much ... they are not Orr or Gretz so they can't do it on their own but they are great pieces to build a team off of ...

We need a new direction, another goalie and a new d core ... and we can't let shannaplan do it

lmao stopped reading at Tallon. Idk if the rest of your post was good but Tallon has butchered the Panthers so f***ing bad

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd be very interested to see the stats and our expected goals
A very interesting site I like for shot maps:

IcyData » Columbus Blue Jackets at Toronto Maple Leafs on August 9th 2020

Seem like Columbus (blue) did keep the leafs (red) to the outside-ish in the third period barring 1 slot chance vs 4 slot chances for Columbus. The leafs had a better 1st period while Columbus had a better 2nd period though both teams gave up a bunch of slot chances in the 2nd.

Also of interesting note was that Dermott was the most zone sheltered player in the game.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
A very interesting site I like for shot maps:

IcyData » Columbus Blue Jackets at Toronto Maple Leafs on August 9th 2020

Seem like Columbus (blue) did keep the leafs (red) to the outside-ish in the third period barring 1 slot chance vs 4 slot chances for Columbus. The leafs had a better 1st period while Columbus had a better 2nd period though both teams gave up a bunch of slot chances in the 2nd.

Also of interesting note was that Dermott was the most zone sheltered player in the game.
Thanks, not that surprised with Dermott to be honest, he really struggled for long stretches and we needed his offense so couldn't take him out

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think Keefe has watched Rudy too many times, inserting AJ and expecting a miracle was a long shot at best............
I think management wanted to show the league AJ was fine after surgery so they could get better value this summer. That is just me though

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Waking up today, the disappointment is still real. We blew our chance again. Tampa is badly injured and a perfect opponent. We couldn't get past the jackets and hot outscored by them. I dont know if there is any playin team we could have played and won against. Maybe rangers and Panthers but even them not sure as they have good offense which could expose our defences and andersieve. Right now I'm feeling close to 2015 level disapointment with this core.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
It will just be put down as 'Lou's fault' like everything else Dubas messes up.

The problem was that the cap situation was so tight at the time that had he not gotten rid of Marleau, we wouldn't have been able to sign AJ and KK. Lou did sign a bad contract here in my opinion as there is no question Marleau wasn't worth 6.5 mil. But ultimately when he made that trade of Marleau for a 1st rd pick it means he was judging that the Leafs with AJ and Kappy were going to be BETTER and so its worth giving up a 1st rd pick for that. So to me it was also a failure on his Dubas's part cause he bet the team he's building will be BETTER. This year clearly has shown that it wasn't. But I'm not willing to let Lou off the hook either for that signing. That said, one could then argue that Lou would have not gone after JT, or if he did, he would have traded one of Nylander/Marner. Hindsight for sure, but hard not to question Dubas on all those little decisions now.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks, not that surprised with Dermott to be honest, he really struggled for long stretches and we needed his offense so couldn't take him out
Ya I'm not as big on Dermott as other. He has struggled pretty hard most times when moved up the lineup. He definitely isnt going to be playing top pairing RD with Rielly. Honestly maybe worth trying him at RD with Sandin next year and really start grooming him as a stay at home guy. Give him the Hainsey talk.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
lmao stopped reading at Tallon. Idk if the rest of your post was good but Tallon has butchered the Panthers so f***ing bad
He has a good eye for talent and when given $$$ like in chicago he created a dynasty ... when he has a shoestring budget in Florida he could not do much ... and ownership in Florida did not help with he's in, he's out, he's in,, he's out people mgmt ... but he made a huge mistake with bobbo which is why I said MAYBE ...

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Rope a Dope Hockey my friend. Let the Leafs have the puck as much as they want on the outside and limit dangerous chances and take advantage of mistakes. Leafs were outscored 10-3 at 5 on 5.

It's an incredibly unsustainable way of winning. Consistently getting outshot and outchanced but still winning is generally the result of a hot goalie, poor shooting luck, or in this case, about equal parts of both. Having a 5-on-5 shooting percentage of 1.7% is unbelievably low especially for the talent on the team but isn't indicative who the better overall team was.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think a strong defensive team that works hard and forechecks hard from start to finish worries about our offensive as much as people do here.

When you watch the Raptors you sense they can hang back on defensive fundamentals, weather the storm and then storm back...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Tallon is awful awful awful. Imagine signing a Dave Bolland to 5.5 x 5 or whatever it was. Imagine signing Bobrovsky to 10 x 7.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Lehtonen has not played a game in the NHL. What makes you think he is not another Rosen/Borgman. God help us if he is another Oz.
Just a guess, but at best you hit maybe 50% of those picks from alternative (non-draft) sources.

We discuss all of these kinds of concepts ad nauseam and then watch them blow up in our face. Doesn't seem to matter as we don't seem to learn from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Is there a correlation or causation between expected goals/reality to expected playoff exits?
I'm looking for the correlation of good saves that I saw vs the chances we allowed.

We didn't score enough or get the saves we needed and they did, we know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->