Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 6-5 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This place would probably burn down if we had a game like Tampa just did.

I haven't been paying attention to the rest of the league, this made me take a look. Final score was like OK, whatever, pretty similar to our game, no big deal. Then I had a closer look and ... Yikes!!

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Ya not a habs fan. I'm just not an idiot.

It's the refs fault...
It was the second half of a back to back
It was a shoot out win
Our back up sucks...

At the end of 82 games do not be surprised if we are battle via wildcard.

Buffalo is better
Montreal is better then you are suggesting
Florida is better
Carolina is better.
Boston is still Boston
Tampa Bay is still Tampa Bay.

We are not guaranteed anything. We might have slightly improved from last year provided that someone steps up to take on hainsey's pk minutes.

And next year will likely be a step back as we will lose key pieces due to cap issues.

You need a reality check.

Everyone said this last season that the team is going to take a step back, and they took a step forward.

Your overrating the other teams getting better and underrating the Leafs getting better.

You need to stop looking at everything in a negative stance.

Just because you are negative, doesn't mean you are right.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Neither is Montreal, but **** happens. 5 of 6 points after 3 games in 4 nights ain't bad.

You’re talking as if fatigue played a factor 3 games into the season. There is no reason they should be tired one week into season ...already making excuses

kb

Aug 28, 2009

It's the refs fault...
It was a shoot out win
Our back up sucks...

Buffalo is better
Florida is better
Carolina is better.
Boston is still Boston

We are not guaranteed anything. We might have slightly improved from last year provided that someone steps up to take on hainsey's pk minutes.

And next year will likely be a step back as we will lose key pieces due to cap issues.

Reeks of irony. Hint. People who call themselves realists are just not capable of seeing anything positive. And if you actually believe your steaming pile of manure....

A closed mind is an empty mind.

Tampa is Tampa. 2 shots in the last 44 minutes of their loss not coming off a back to back.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I heard that the Leafs have more back to back games than any other team, is that true? I hope not because that's a huge disadvantage and a legitimate reason for a lower point total and possibly missing the playoffs.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Reeks of irony. Hint. People who call themselves realists are just not capable of seeing anything positive. And if you actually believe your steaming pile of manure....

A closed mind is an empty mind.

Tampa is Tampa. 2 shots in the last 44 minutes of their loss not coming off a back to back.

Reeks of ignorance.

4 points separated Toronto from Montreal last year.

And the Tampa game highlights how other teams like Carolina are no longer sure wins. Expect the division to be much tighter this year.

Reactions: hoglund

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
JT has really pissed me off. He is slow skating and hasn't looked engaged in the games. He really needs wake the F up. Feel good story of being a captain and all is over.

He said he won't take being a "C" for granted; time to back those words with some on ice performance.

Atlantic Division is packed with good teams.

• Tampa (we know they are good)
  • Boston (they are still good)
  • Florida (i think they will be way better with Bobrovsky and Coach Q)
  • Buffalo (young guys are taking the next step - could be a team on the upwards trend)
  • Montreal (missed playoffs by 2 points last year - and they didn't have Weber for what like 3 months to start?)

Besides Ottawa that sucks - we have tremendous competition IMO. Our best players have to be the best players night in and night out -> no excuses!

If this is real then just stop watching and follow another team. Maybe Tampa? they seem to be really shit right now.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
We dominated them for 2 periods on a back 2 back.

We win that game handedly if we dont play the night before. lame excuse. but it's true.
It is true. Out goalie was also poor, Montreal got 2 very lucky goals, we missed a handful of opportunities early on when we were dominating... this is not going to be a common theme.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
What people fail to see is that even with playing back to back nights, and having our backup in we still outplayed Montreal for 2/3rds of the game. Montreal was non-existent after the first minute of the first all the way to the 5 minute mark of the third.

We outplayed and outworked them. Some garbage goals (one of the skate and another off a mad scramble) and they were back in it.

Hutch didn't cost us the game, he actually earned us the point considering how bad the Leafs played in the 3rd. Throughout the night he stopped 2 on 1's and breakaways 2-3 times. Our team went to sleep in the 3rd and its as simple as that. We gifted Montreal the victory due to many factors.

People need to chill, its game 3!!!

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
What people fail to see is that even with playing back to back nights, and having our backup in we still outplayed Montreal for 2/3rds of the game. Montreal was non-existent after the first minute of the first all the way to the 5 minute mark of the third.

We outplayed and outworked them. Some garbage goals (one of the skate and another off a mad scramble) and they were back in it.

Hutch didn't cost us the game, he actually earned us the point considering how bad the Leafs played in the 3rd. Throughout the night he stopped 2 on 1's and breakaways 2-3 times. Our team went to sleep in the 3rd and its as simple as that. We gifted Montreal the victory due to many factors.

Agreed.

If we play the remainder of the season as "badly" as we did the first three games then we will win the president trophy

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

It's the refs fault...
It was a shoot out win
Our back up sucks...

Buffalo is better
Florida is better
Carolina is better.
Boston is still Boston

The 4 teams are better, but so are the Leafs. You are choosing to take a negative view on the Leafs, which is your prerogative. But don't think you're right just because you say so. The reality check may have to be taken by you. This is a great team, top 5 in the league, and will remain that way as long as Andersen is healthy. Our PK wasn't that good with Hainsey, so from what I've seen, the people putting in the minutes thus far are doing a very good job. This team will be battling more for the division lead than a wildcard spot. That, imo, will be the reality.

Reactions: kb

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
3 games in I think people need to relax. Yes, was poor game for Kapanan and the team to allow 6 goals. It happens at least they got a point out of it. Think they should upgrade their backup. If your expecting Freddy to play 60 games gl on quality aspect. Just trade away one of the many bottom forwards and maybe add a pick to get solid 20+ games backup.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
5 pts in 3 games
I will take that for invisible player

Missed training camp as well.

Can you imagine what he will do when he shows up .

LMFAO

racking up those secondary assists that a player making 1/10th of Marner makes while playing on the most talented PP and a top 5 center isn't a great argument

horner

May 22, 2007
racking up those secondary assists that a player making 1/10th of Marner makes while playing on the most talented PP and a top 5 center isn't a great argument
I know pal he sucks doesn't create shit.
to you it wouldn't matter what the little shit did .
you will always have come back.
good for you buddy.

cyborg

Nov 18, 2018

Couldn't of said this better my self>jeese,its only game three .When you get this big of a reaction from Hab fans you know we are doing something right.I thought Montreal won the cup by their celebration.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The 4 teams are better, but so are the Leafs. You are choosing to take a negative view on the Leafs, which is your prerogative. But don't think you're right just because you say so. The reality check may have to be taken by you. This is a great team, top 5 in the league, and will remain that way as long as Andersen is healthy. Our PK wasn't that good with Hainsey, so from what I've seen, the people putting in the minutes thus far are doing a very good job. This team will be battling more for the division lead than a wildcard spot. That, imo, will be the reality.

I think it's debatable as to how much better we are compared to last season. Is Barrie an upgrade over Gardiner?

Yes. Slightly. He likes to create play with his own entries, Gardiner is more of an excellent first pass. Both have issues defensively.

Is Ceci better than Zaitsev? Sure. Eye tests shows he still has issues and will likely be leaned on heavily with lots of minutes so I expect to see lots of mistakes made due to lots of ice time. But I would call him a slight upgrade over Zaitsev.

Is Kerfoot better than Kadri? I'd say as a player. No. On the Leafs in the 3c role? They will/should put up similar numbers. So that's just a cheaper option for the same output.

Now as far as B line forwards, Browns and Ennis's being replaced by Moore and Mikheyev. I would call that a large upgrade. But they won't be and shouldn't be playing large minutes because I would expect Babs to put more lean on Matthews and Tavare's line. So their impact won't be all that much or as much as you would expect.

However we lost Hainsey who was our best defender at the PK. We didn't get a replacement for Hainsey.
We lost Lindholm who also killed penalties. We are replacing him with the Goat and asking Spezza to play a role he's never played much before. So those are both downgrades.

Are we better?

Slightly. But it's debatable. It boils down to our specialty units which the PP has looked decent. Improved over last year. But I'd remind you that this time last year our PP looked like a cheat code, it was so good. It eventually became a predictable mess. It could very well become that again if they decide they need to keep trying to set up the Matthews one timer.

Our PK has questions. We lost key penalty killers. We will see how those now in that role adapt.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I've been a believer in this Montreal team, I think they're a lot better than people give them credit for. Terrific depth, and some underrated pieces. I might be a bad Leafs fan, but I actually think they're pretty fun to watch too.

I just can't stand Domi. And it's nothing to do with him as a player, he's terrific. I don't even mind the antics. It's the face. I don't think I've ever judged someone on looks and not been able to look past it, but I haven't been able to stand him since the first time I saw him. He looks like a caricature troll.

Habs fan coming in peace. I agree habs have some nice pieces/depth up front. The defense is still their weakness. Some nice youth. Fleury and Suzuki made some mistakes against Leafs, that will happen with youth. Agree totally on Domi, love having him on my team but if he was a leaf or bruin he would be up there with Marchand as the most hated. (combination of antics and face).

What I saw from the Leafs,
  • 3rd line is good better than I expected it would be
  • Matthews/Marner/Tavares - what a gauntlet to have to run. Hard to shut down both lines and one going will be enough to win most nights
  • Nylander looks like Nylander from 2 yrs ago.
  • Leafs lost their legs in the 3rd (2nd half of a B2B with travel) it pretty much happens every time.
I am curious to see how they do coming up- tough schedule over the rest of the month. Ottawa and CBJ hard to evaluate against as those 2 teams will be fighting for last in conference this year.
I still think Matthews/Marner need to be on same line. with Marner feeding him, Matthews could score 70 with that release.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

It's the refs fault...
It was a shoot out win
Our back up sucks...

Buffalo is better
Florida is better
Carolina is better.
Boston is still Boston

:clap:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I think it's debatable as to how much better we are compared to last season. Is Barrie an upgrade over Gardiner?

Yes. Slightly. He likes to create play with his own entries, Gardiner is more of an excellent first pass. Both have issues defensively.

Is Ceci better than Zaitsev? Sure. Eye tests shows he still has issues and will likely be leaned on heavily with lots of minutes so I expect to see lots of mistakes made due to lots of ice time. But I would call him a slight upgrade over Zaitsev.

Is Kerfoot better than Kadri? I'd say as a player. No. On the Leafs in the 3c role? They will/should put up similar numbers. So that's just a cheaper option for the same output.

Now as far as B line forwards, Browns and Ennis's being replaced by Moore and Mikheyev. I would call that a large upgrade. But they won't be and shouldn't be playing large minutes because I would expect Babs to put more lean on Matthews and Tavare's line. So their impact won't be all that much or as much as you would expect.

However we lost Hainsey who was our best defender at the PK. We didn't get a replacement for Hainsey.
We lost Lindholm who also killed penalties. We are replacing him with the Goat and asking Spezza to play a role he's never played much before. So those are both downgrades.

Are we better?

Slightly. But it's debatable. It boils down to our specialty units which the PP has looked decent. Improved over last year. But I'd remind you that this time last year our PP looked like a cheat code, it was so good. It eventually became a predictable mess. It could very well become that again if they decide they need to keep trying to set up the Matthews one timer.

Our PK has questions. We lost key penalty killers. We will see how those now in that role adapt.
:nod:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

Are we better?

Never thought I'd see the day someone pointed to losing Par Lindholm as bad thing. They could have replaced him with Carlton the Bear and it would be an upgrade.

Par. Fricking. Lindholm.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5 and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->