Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 6-5 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He still got us a point. Hutch being in the net for 20-25 points is perfectly fine. The leafs got 17 points last year with Sparks in net.
Fans gotta be realistic about the back-up situation...Hutch gonna play the 2nd half of all back to backs,meaning the team in front of him won't be at their best...I dunno ,maybe play the best goalie in the league(Don Cherrys take) on the 2nd night instead of the first!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I never said the sky is falling from last night. Again, it's a bad idea to give points to divisional rivals.

Tampa missed the playoffs recently (to the Leafs actually,) because of injuries. You never know what an 82 game season holds.

If we lose Andersen we will be bottom 5

Reactions: Jmo89

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we lose Andersen we will be bottom 5

I love Freddy, but he's not the difference between us being one of the top teams in the league, and being where Ottawa, Columbus, Detroit, Edmonton will be.

We'd be in a battle to make the playoffs, and there's a good chance we'd miss, but it also depends on when he goes down. If Freddy went down from Nov to Jan, then there's still the stretch drive. If he tears his ALC in January, then that's a long time where the team could fall. If he gets injured in March, we have a spot lined up at that point, but we are likely gone in round 1.

Reactions: kb

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Despite being gassed Leafs still wouldve pulled this out if they had a better goalie in net. This is is a classic example of where your goalie needs to come up big.
I'm sure a timely timeout by Babcock might e helped too.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
The only thing that scares me right now is that a lot of the plays they were making yesterday and a lot of the way Montreal played to control the ice were problems this team had last season. Given the fact we have turned over half of our roster from last season there can be only one or two reason why the same thing is happening.

Now putting aside that conversation for later, the guys were tired as hell and you could see it. Starting off the season with 3 games in 4 nights, the third period was bound to be a problem especially with our backup in. Unfortunately Montreal is a fast hungry team that took advantage of every single opening they got, turned all the luck into gold and made our stupidity )looking at you kappy) into goals. If they come out against St Loius on Monday and look anything like they did in the third I definitely will start to worry more.

As it stand right now the Leafs have 5 of 6 points in 3 games and never trailed after the first period in Ottawa to the third period in Montreal. Lots of good things to take away and hopefully this is both a lesson learned for the coaches and conditioning.

Reactions: definedMF

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Of is less letters
But not even close to being the right word. Heck, it's not even the same type of word. One's a preposition whereas the other's a verb. Pretty basic.

If you want to be pedantic about the number of keystrokes, just use an apostrophe and the "ve" part of "have" so you end up with "should've" which is the same amount of keystrokes as typing for what you usually opt.

Reactions: qqaz

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Fans gotta be realistic about the back-up situation...Hutch gonna play the 2nd half of all back to backs,meaning the team in front of him won't be at their best...I dunno ,maybe play the best goalie in the league(Don Cherrys take) on the 2nd night instead of the first!
I think that's smarter. I think the leafs would have won both games this weekend if the goalies switched nights.

Reactions: ToMaLe

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think that's smarter. I think the leafs would have won both games this weekend if the goalies switched nights.
Maybe,but Freddy did make some incredible saves against Columbus. It's starting to look like the Leafs need a net presence,a guy that can/will dish out punishment to players that like to run into the crease and hang around . Was liking Gravel in pre-season for that reason,but we will see if it continues to be a problem.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
But not even close to being the right word. Heck, it's not even the same type of word. One's a preposition whereas the other's a verb. Pretty basic.

If you want to be pedantic about the number of keystrokes, just use an apostrophe and the "ve" part of "have" so you end up with "should've" which is the same amount of keystrokes as typing for what you usually opt.

No thx

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I love Freddy, but he's not the difference between us being one of the top teams in the league, and being where Ottawa, Columbus, Detroit, Edmonton will be.

We'd be in a battle to make the playoffs, and there's a good chance we'd miss, but it also depends on when he goes down. If Freddy went down from Nov to Jan, then there's still the stretch drive. If he tears his ALC in January, then that's a long time where the team could fall. If he gets injured in March, we have a spot lined up at that point, but we are likely gone in round 1.

Don't forget we would have capspace to make a move for a goalie in this scenario as well.

Worst case scenario for us is a post-trade deadline injury. Then we have nothing.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We dominated them for 2 periods on a back 2 back.

We win that game handedly if we dont play the night before. lame excuse. but it's true.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Peaked? At 23? Maybe,just maybe 3 games playing with new line-mates isn't enough to claim he has 'peaked'! Not sure what everyone is expecting,but Hyman only got around 30 points or thereabouts in an entire year with huge ice-time ...I'm not a Kappy booster ,but 3 games in and people are sayin' he 's no good !

There is no chemistry and he is a great bottom 6 player. Moore and Soupy are potentially better suited for his spot.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I hope after you sober up you realize how bad of a post this was.

Yes it sucks to lose a game, yes he made a stupid play. Sit him a few shifts or give him a bag skate.

Being this emotionally tied to a loss in early October isnt healthy.
Frankly, I don't drink, so, I don't need to sober up.

I thought the player stupidity was dealt with when Dubas traded Kadri. Apparently not!

I wasn't really that serious about trading Kapanen when I posted about trading him. However, the more I think about it, he might be the perfect candidate to trade in hopes of upgrading our backup goalie situation.

Kapanen needs to be smarter! If he has taken over from Kadri in the stupid department, he needs to go, and fast IMHO.

And yes, losing to the Habs made my blood boil, especially with our me three taking too much of the cap pie this summer. The least these overpaid kids can do is beat the teams they should be beating. Losing to the Habs, the way they did, was embarrassing and shameful IMHO.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There are 79 more games so this isn't the end of the world of course. But the sentiment that they still got that loser point should remember that there was still a 3 point swing from the collapse going from +2 points for the Leafs relative to Montreal to -1 point.

All of this ridiculous noise about so and so not playing well should also take note on the length of an NHL season compared to 4 days in the month of October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->