Dec 12, 2017
Be sellers at the deadline

Gardner
Kadri
Zailsev
Marleau

Trade for a couple of physical defenceman ex. Gryba
Trade for a a physical forward ex. Ferland

In the defensive zone the opposition skates around with no fear of being hit .

In the offensive zone the opposition defencemen have no fear that they are going to get hit.

We don't wear anyone down physically.

We aren't going anywhere in the playoffs till we fix this I believe.

Ferland is interesting. What If the Canes are still in the playoff race in a month? What if they are fighting the Leafs for a spot?
If they are trading partner with the Leafs they better start losing.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Babcock needs to get his head out of his arse and go back to what used to work. We have struggling players right now up front in Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Brown and Marleau. Babcock isn't stupid he has witnessed like we have all, what Tavares is capable of doing with linemates in the past. He makes who ever is playing with him that much better. So its irrelevant who he plays with. But prior to acquiring him, we had 2 lines that were producing. So go back to it.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Lindholm/Ennis-Goat-Brown

There is no doubt Matthews, Nylander, Kadri and Marleau should be doing more. Since Nylander came back our offence which should be our strength has looked pathetic. Make the changes and keep them the same for a bit. Hyman back with Matthews and Nylander will wake that line up. Marner back with Kadri and Marleau will give us 3 scoring lines and wake Kadri up which we need.

Babcock's stubbornness is what is causing this slump. Play players together that have succeeded in the past. Tavares will be perfectly fine with who ever you put on his wings. And what I suggested is way better then what he's played with in the past anyways.

On D he needs to switch it up as well. Play Hainsey less, and move Gardiner in his spot with Reilly. Move Dermott up to play with Hainsey on second pairing. Move Zaitsev down and recall Rosen to create you third pairing.

Things need to be changed up prior to trade deadline to see what you have. But playing guys out of slots and not with whats worked in the past does not give you a clear picture of where the holes are.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah. Marleau should be scratched.
His stats reflect that.

Put moore on for some life. Another Marlie even.

There is a reason why MTL and Buffalo have caught right up...

They have youth livening things up, and we have Babcock giving Marleau royal treatment.

Unnaceptable on a team with a playoff berth

Can they send him to the minors?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think it is time for Shanahan to come down to the dressing room and start smashing stuff.

The bleeding needs to stop.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Peaks and Valley's, were currently in a valley, probably playing the worst hockey of the season. This team has too much talent to continue playing this bad. They may stay in this slump for another week or so but they'll start trending upwards. Almost every team goes through this throughout a season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The scouting report on the Leafs: If you make them play below their own goal line in tight cycle plays or on the wall, they can be exposed. They don’t like giving or taking hits. This is not just a stretch of poor play; this isn’t even about the recent results specifically. This is about their identity and what will and won’t work come playoff time. It’s about bringing out more of the skill in the lineup, not reducing it.

If the team is not feeling it offensively, they need to be able to provide a momentum shift via avenues other than scoring pretty goals. The Leafs, when they are “machine-like,” are going to dust aside most teams in the league. In the playoffs, they’re going to have to be able to play multiple styles of hockey — at least to some degree — be adaptive, and give different looks to different opponents. Playing whistle-to-whistle will work against most teams in a league that is becoming far more conducive to that style of hockey, but if they are to have ultimate playoff success, as it stands, they will be the first team in memory that is unable to adequately respond to a physical challenge and still win a Stanley Cup championship.
Game #45 Review: Colorado Avalanche 6 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 3 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
It's time for a big shake up to get Matthews going. He needs a few multi goal games to get him feeling good about himself again.

If only Babcock would try this:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Kapanen Tavares Nylander
Marleau Kadri Johnsson
Lindholm Gauthier Brown

Reactions: WilliamNylander

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone surprised Matthews was the 3rd star last night?
I don't think any Leaf deserved one.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
It's time for a big shake up to get Matthews going. He needs a few multi goal games to get him feeling good about himself again.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Kapanen Tavares Nylander
Marleau Kadri Johnsson
Lindholm Gauthier Brown
I would love to see what matthews would do with the tavares’ linemates.

Personally I would do this to benefit everybody including marleau and kadri since they DESPERATELY need help:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Hyman Matthews Marner
Kapanen Tavares Nylander
Marleau Kadri Johnsson
Lindholm Gauthier Brown
I would replace Hyman with Kadri and move Marleau to C for a few games.

Tampa runs two elite lines out there, and they smash the hell out of teams with a right side that isn't much better than ours.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Hyman Matthews Marner
Kapanen Tavares Nylander
Marleau Kadri Johnsson
Lindholm Gauthier Brown

These lines would be really good so we’ll never see them. Marner and Matthews together would be amazing.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

RLF

May 5, 2014
I would love to see what matthews would do with the tavares’ linemates.

Personally I would do this to benefit everybody including marleau and kadri since they DESPERATELY need help:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner

I do get a bit of a laugh every time I see the suggestion of putting Hyman back with Matthews and Nylander since so many begged Babcock to move Hyman away from them. Maybe Hyman wasn't the blackhole many suggested on that line.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Why is everyone saying Matthews needs better linemates? Kapanen and Johnsson are both young skilled players.

Besides, if you are going to pay him upwards of $11-$12 mil/year, than its his job to elevate his linemates, not the other way around.

Reactions: FishManSam

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
see this is where the coach has to decide do I keep pushing my system and keep the players playing with the same people cause I know long term this will work or do I need to change it up and spark something new in the players.

Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new. This should be applied to the lines and D pairing. Switch it all up for the next game and make these players have more attention to details playing with new players.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I do get a bit of a laugh every time I see the suggestion of putting Hyman back with Matthews and Nylander since so many begged Babcock to move Hyman away from them. Maybe Hyman wasn't the blackhole many suggested on that line.
I agree. I think he is probably our best left winger honestly.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Too often they:
Don't start on time
Wait to turn it on until the 3rd period when losing
Refuse to throw a hit
Try for the fancy pass
Get out-worked

Some of this is on Babcock

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Why is everyone saying Matthews needs better linemates? Kapanen and Johnsson are both young skilled players.

Besides, if you are going to pay him upwards of $11-$12 mil/year, than its his job to elevate his linemates, not the other way around.
He is still producing points but he isnt getting goals. Check out how many assists he has racked up in his goal scoring skid.

Also if this is the case then why dont we split up marner and tavares. One already his 11 mill player and other is asking for it too. Give them those players and see if they dominate as much.

Matty is a shooter. He is currently working in the corners setting up johnsson and kapanen. I honestly cant remember them setting him up for a chance. They become pedestrian and watch him instead of playing.

Sure they can all be good when given “good players”. But they can dominate when given other elite players as shown with tavares and marner.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
To put in perspective, it was a terribly played game and yet it was really a one goal game.

A bunch of players are either coasting waiting for April or are playing with injuries. No other explanation for some of the disinterest out there.

The nylander thing has been a huge problem though. This whole botched negotiation may ultimately cost us a potentially great season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
All of it is on Babcock.

It is not on Babcock. This team has been reading too many of it's press clippings. Well boys this is the NHL and if you don't bring it you will get beat. The second half of the season has started and teams are starting to play tighter D. If they think it is bad now, wait until the playoffs start.

Reactions: leafygoods

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Now this was a terrible game, unlike their previous good but losing efforts.

this was just awful. from start to finish.

but babcock is weird to me.

against boston, when they were playing great, he decided to mix up the lines, only to make things worse.

in this game, with them playing some absolutely putrid hockey, he didn't try anything. (and don't listen to Ferraro, there was no line blending going on.)

for me, THIS is the type of effort that called for a complete line shuffle heading into the 3rd. starting from the top by splitting up tavares and marner.

but notice that our "winger depth" has become overrated - any line shuffle has to take into account that hyman and marleau aren't very good, and there's nobody on the 4th line that we would want to move up into the top-9 even to send a message.

Reactions: great
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad