Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-3. We need a goalie Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I'm not done with this team: I'll never be done. However, I hold not much hope for a playoff berth. But I'll keep tuning in to watch Matthews (wow... we are so lucky to have that kid).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Heh question... did I see Nails at game last night? I thought I did but not sure with quick camera and bad eyes. D*mn it has been years since we last talked.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Keefe lost it because the reffing was atrocious all night long. There was so much interference going on all over the ice. The game managers did their best to make for an even game. Leafs had to overcome the worst goaltending in the league and the refs. Now you might say well it was not called because teams were trading chances. and that is exactly my point. The Leafs were getting hooked and grabbed all night long. We can't overcome that type of game. We require the refs to stop that. We need policing of game in a strict way. But bottom line we have started to see the change in the way games are called this past month.

Refs are working on some new jerseys that they hope to be ready for next year:

rugby-jersey-stars-stripes-rugby-jersey-2_600x.png

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not done with this team: I'll never be done. However, I hold not much hope for a playoff berth. But I'll keep tuning in to watch Matthews (wow... we are so lucky to have that kid).
1/2 guys does not make a TEAM ... but give him credit he tried his best in 2nd and 3rd periods ... great 200 foot game ... even rushed puck up ice by himself a couple times. So disappointed in Mitch. Why did he even bother to lace them up? Too many guys crapping da bed on tooo many nights. These guys are paid a ton. Watching willy get interfered with all night was a p*ss off too. Nice to see some fight from JT - we need to see it more.

Reactions: napoleon in rags

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Tom Bishop and Zack Kassian are not "paid to be goal scorers".............yet they both score more than Marner.

Do they also get ppg?

Do you really believe Marner wouldn’t have more goals on McDavids wing?

Reactions: ACC1224

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Rangers fan, I COME IN PEACE! What do you guys think of our kid Igor Shesterkin? Just curious.
Just another opposing goalie that happens to put in a Vezina performance when playing our Leafs.

This happens on a regular basis because playing the Leafs brings out the best in opposing teams. Playing the Leafs puts opposing players on a bigger stage with a lot bigger exposure. This exposure encourages them to exceed their pay grades. Our Leafs are not the Arizona Coyotes of the NHL!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Rangers fan, I COME IN PEACE! What do you guys think of our kid Igor Shesterkin? Just curious.

Looks like a real deal, has the potential to be a lights out goalie. Maybe one of the best in the league but still has a lot to prove.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

So they can't go on a 15-7-6 run which will be good enough to clinch a playoff spot? I still have lots of faith they will make it. That record is doable.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
So they can't go on a 15-7-6 run which will be good enough to clinch a playoff spot? I still have lots of faith they will make it. That record is doable.
Sure they can; they can also win 10 Cups in a row.

I want them to make it, but it just seems like a season filled with bad luck. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not much for throwing players under the bus but I'll make an exception here with Kapanen,

I've been told several times that he's a guy that always shows up and always plays 100%. I read that about him all the time, and it's so far from the truth. He's not only the most streaky scorer on the team, he might just be the laziest too.

Go and look at their first goal. At first he is caught sleeping and forgets his guy. That's not the bad part. It's that he quickly identifies that his guy has stepped up behind him, and couldn't be bothered to take a single step towards him. Go back and look at him a few shifts later, where you can clearly see that his guy is going to a dangerous area, it is obvious that they're likely to win the puck, and he still decides to veer off to maybe get some space just in case the puck comes back up the ice.

Defensive mistakes comes in many forms, but most of them end up in two categories. Making the right read but failing to execute, or failing to make the read by puck watching or getting fooled. To varying degrees, those are understandable. Only an issue if it happens a lot. These kind of plays should definitely and immediately be held against the player though.

This would be OK if Kapanen gave us something else, but he's just not doing that right now.

Friedman on the rsdio the other day suggested Keefe and Dubas were divided on Kap (with Dubas being more supportive of the player).

You can kind of see why these little mental issues would really get to a coach

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The save he made on Hyman and Matty both were world class ... not many goalies can move like that. He looked a little nervous with some puck bobbles like Matty's 1st but that stuff will go away with time. Overall good to see you have your next goalie. We don't so I'm a little jealous.

Reactions: Embryo

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The save he made on Hyman and Matty both were world class ... not many goalies can move like that. He looked a little nervous with some puck bobbles like Matty's 1st but that stuff will go away with time. Overall good to see you have your next goalie. We don't so I'm a little jealous.

With the ask they are demanding for Georgiev, maybe Dubas should have targeted this kid instead...:sarcasm:

Murp

Nov 15, 2019
Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 7.56.59 PM.png
I mean Campbell can turn it around but these ain't good numbers considering he's the new replacement

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
With the ask they are demanding for Georgiev, maybe Dubas should have targeted this kid instead...:sarcasm:
We are not giving up AJ/Kerfoot for either ... AJ/Kerfoot will go for a defensive defender ... but you can see the cautious approach of Dubie ... he waited until Clifford was available before pulling off the Campbell deal

Reactions: Superstar

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
View attachment 317403 I mean Campbell can turn it around but these ain't good numbers considering he's the new replacement

As a backup goaltender, a lot of the times you have to be good in the room, so to speak. What sort of person is joining the Toronto Maple Leafs?
Imoo
: I was reading Twitter and you have a bunch of Leafs fans kind of unsure about Soup just looking at his numbers and whatnot. But I just want to let everyone know there that they got a gem. He is a special kid. In the locker room, you can ask anybody in LA, he is special that way. He will be an unbelievable addition for that organization in that regard.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020...-soup-really-does-relish-that-type-of-a-game/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->