Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-3. We need a goalie Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
hutchinson should never weart a leafs uniform ever, not even marlies. guy is utter garbage that prob not even good enough for euro legaues. just retire already bud, you are garbage.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
overall, this was a pretty bad game unfortunately. I don't think we looked particularly dangerous offensively versus the worst defense in the league. I'm sure out xGF was good, but that's misleading in this game as we had a lot of chances in front of the net which was pretty much weak backhands against a set goaltender.

This might sound as a cop out, but the Leafs played like they were terrified of giving up chances because they didn't trust Hutch to make saves. The paradox of hockey is that if you are scared of giving up chances, you are more likely to play on your heels and actually do that.

That's why it can be such a killer when teams don't have faith in the goaltender and vice versa. The symbiotic relationship made a bad backup into an abysmal one.

Reactions: Menzinger and Rogie

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not much for throwing players under the bus but I'll make an exception here with Kapanen,

I've been told several times that he's a guy that always shows up and always plays 100%. I read that about him all the time, and it's so far from the truth. He's not only the most streaky scorer on the team, he might just be the laziest too.

Go and look at their first goal. At first he is caught sleeping and forgets his guy. That's not the bad part. It's that he quickly identifies that his guy has stepped up behind him, and couldn't be bothered to take a single step towards him. Go back and look at him a few shifts later, where you can clearly see that his guy is going to a dangerous area, it is obvious that they're likely to win the puck, and he still decides to veer off to maybe get some space just in case the puck comes back up the ice.

Defensive mistakes comes in many forms, but most of them end up in two categories. Making the right read but failing to execute, or failing to make the read by puck watching or getting fooled. To varying degrees, those are understandable. Only an issue if it happens a lot. These kind of plays should definitely and immediately be held against the player though.

This would be OK if Kapanen gave us something else, but he's just not doing that right now.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's not the greatest but it had to be done. The unfortunate consequences of buying provisions during the storm. They're expensive. But I think Moore is a dime a dozen. It's the picks. If the trade does as it should it'll be a 2nd.
If the trade does as it should we can live with that, right?

I don't value third round picks at all, but I do like second rounders. sometimes you need to bleed a little for the greater good though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seeing Keefe lose it like that has to make you wonder if the pressure is starting to get to him.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It wasn't just goaltending that was the problem last night. The Rangers were quick to the puck and forechecking hard all game and our defenders looked particularly slow to react to this leading to numerous giveaways and bad passes putting other players in tight spots. Every team will play us like this in the playoffs. Replacing Hutch is easy. Fixing this defense not so much.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It wasn't just goaltending that was the problem last night. The Rangers were quick to the puck and forechecking hard all game and our defenders looked particularly slow to react to this leading to numerous giveaways and bad passes putting other players in tight spots. Every team will play us like this in the playoffs. Replacing Hutch is easy. Fixing this defense not so much.
On Kreider goal Marner just watched him (all the way from center) from behind, skating as if he was at the local out door skating rink with the kids.

Hutchison should have stopped the 4th goal, just as Ranger goalie should have stopped leafs second goal. That was a saw off. Rangers looked like the better team. Certainly tougher team.

Do the leafs really think they can just decide to play hockey without hitting anybody?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
if we are missing the playoffs
these two games
we lost a game we already won
and
we lost a game vs a not even close to the po's team

4points we shoulda have

props to Matthews and Nylander tho
Matthews almost willed us to win

Hutch wasnt bad but that stick thingy sucked the life outta the team
Leafs second goal was just as soft. Rangers didnt let it "suck the life out of them"

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Another game completely let down by goaltending. This is a game you don't lose if you have average goaltending.
Did you see the leafs second goal.........my grandmother could have stopped that. Rangers won anyway.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
overall, this was a pretty bad game unfortunately. I don't think we looked particularly dangerous offensively versus the worst defense in the league. I'm sure out xGF was good, but that's misleading in this game as we had a lot of chances in front of the net which was pretty much weak backhands against a set goaltender.

This might sound as a cop out, but the Leafs played like they were terrified of giving up chances because they didn't trust Hutch to make saves. The paradox of hockey is that if you are scared of giving up chances, you are more likely to play on your heels and actually do that.

That's why it can be such a killer when teams don't have faith in the goaltender and vice versa. The symbiotic relationship made a bad backup into an abysmal one.
and Marner, Kapenen had lousy games.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Remind me who waived a solid backup and we've been in the ****s ever since? we have 9 backup points this year. That's worse in the league by a significant margin. It will literally be the difference if we don't get in

Who should we blame for that?
Brendan Shanahan. No question. Replaced Lou Lamerello and Mark Hunter........ with Kyle Dubas. The Play Station GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: shanwhatplan

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Keefe lost it because the reffing was atrocious all night long. There was so much interference going on all over the ice. The game managers did their best to make for an even game. Leafs had to overcome the worst goaltending in the league and the refs. Now you might say well it was not called because teams were trading chances. and that is exactly my point. The Leafs were getting hooked and grabbed all night long. We can't overcome that type of game. We require the refs to stop that. We need policing of game in a strict way. But bottom line we have started to see the change in the way games are called this past month.

But irrespective of all that no one can win an NHL or an AHL game for that matter with a goalie with ZERO athletic ability. You can Greco any guy all you want. They can look great in form and technique but when they can't pick up a stick, when they can't execute an in tight poke check, when they can't react fast enough it does not matter how they look.

Matty was a beast in 2nd and 3rd periods. Wish he decided to play in 1st period though. He has to lead from drop of puck.

Lastly our defense is Muzzy. That's it.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Keefe lost it because the reffing was atrocious all night long. There was so much interference going on all over the ice. The game managers did their best to make for an even game. Leafs had to overcome the worst goaltending in the league and the refs. Now you might say well it was not called because teams were trading chances. and that is exactly my point. The Leafs were getting hooked and grabbed all night long. We can't overcome that type of game. We require the refs to stop that. We need policing of game in a strict way. But bottom line we have started to see the change in the way games are called this past month.

But irrespective of all that no one can win an NHL or an AHL game for that matter with a goalie with ZERO athletic ability. You can Greco any guy all you want. They can look great in form and technique but when they can't pick up a stick, when they can't execute an in tight poke check, when they can't react fast enough it does not matter how they look.

Matty was a beast in 2nd and 3rd periods. Wish he decided to play in 1st period though. He has to lead from drop of puck.

Lastly our defense is Muzzy. That's it.
Rangers called for a slight hook with under 5 minutes to go. Leafs scored.

Would the real idiot please stand ......the one who signed, relied and double downed on the beer league goalie you are ripping to shreds?

BTW did Marner and Kapenen play ?

He is the real bone head.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rangers called for a slight hook with under 5 minutes to go. Leafs scored.

Who signed, relied and double downed on the beer league goalie you are ripping to shreds?

BTW did Marner and Kapenen play ?

He is the real bone head.
Mitch and Kappy should not have even bothered to lace em up.
Dubie has made many mistakes on goalies so far. Thank god Lou got us Freddy. But even Freddy can he be a $$$ goalie?
Yes they call hooks only when a scoring chance has been denied - part of game management program. I am talking about hooks/interference when guys are trying to gear up in our end to rush up ice. They are not goal scoring opportunities so they are allowed again as season draws to end. It will get worse in playoffs. This is big reason why a fast team can be stopped. You don't let them free wheel up ice. So they turn/stop and pass and turn/stop and pass like Euros trying to break free. Then once you get the lead you drop down the LOCK system in neutral zone. You Devil them up.
Bottom line for this type of team we need to come out on all cylinders to start every game and get a lead. It changes the way others teams play. When we have sieve tending we are done.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Mitch and Kappy should not have even bothered to lace em up.
Dubie has made many mistakes on goalies so far. Thank god Lou got us Freddy. But even Freddy can he be a $$$ goalie?
Yes they call hooks only when a scoring chance has been denied - part of game management program. I am talking about hooks/interference when guys are trying to gear up in our end to rush up ice. They are not goal scoring opportunities so they are allowed again as season draws to end. It will get worse in playoffs. This is big reason why a fast team can be stopped. You don't let them free wheel up ice. So they turn/stop and pass and turn/stop and pass like Euros trying to break free. Then once you get the lead you drop down the LOCK system in neutral zone. You Devil them up.
Bottom line for this type of team we need to come out on all cylinders to start every game and get a lead. It changes the way others teams play. When we have sieve tending we are done.
Well said.

However this is no surprise. To build teams that have problems with the way the game changes EVERY season as play offs close in....well, is just stupid.

Does Dubas really think the league is going to change to the norm to accommodate his vision???

I think the 017, 018 leafs were better teams than the 019 and 020 teams.

This is a team going nowhere , while their stars think they have already succeeded.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
hutchinson should never weart a leafs uniform ever, not even marlies. guy is utter garbage that prob not even good enough for euro legaues. just retire already bud, you are garbage.
So it would take a real moron to have him play this long.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well said.

However this is no surprise. To build teams that have problems with the way the game changes EVERY season as play offs close in....well, is just stupid.

Does Dubas really think the league is going to change to the norm to accommodate his vision???

I think the 017, 018 leafs were better teams than the 019 and 020 teams.

This is a team going nowhere , while their stars think they have already succeeded.
It is why I keep telling everyone we need to keep on top of refs all game long. There was a reason Babs was working refs every game. When you go to games LIVE you can see it much better. It is much harder to see/understand with TV cameras. Even just Babs talking about it loud can have an affect on the other team. They worry about the hooks/interference a little more. Maybe they do it less creating more offence for us.

Bottom line this is our team for next 5 years no matter what so we all better get on board with boooooing refs when you see it at game. It is not about the penalties called due to scoring chances denied. They get those ones most of time. It is hooking/interference when no scoring chance is involved. Most fans don't care. But it affects our team more than most can see on TV.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Marner is overpaid and hutch sucks. This is on Dubas.

I disagree, Marner is a great player playing bad. He needs to be better. Looks like he is sick or something. Hutch... ok... he needs to be better but im not sure he is. =(

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
5v5 save % now sits at 26th in the league.

It we had good consistant goaltending all year, this team would be easily in the playoffs and a Stanley cup favorite IMO.

It's not just the backup either.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad