Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
McElhinney was a mediocre backup that year.

To clarify further, Andersen played 6 fewer games in 18-19 than he did in either year McElhinney was his backup, and it's unlikely mcelhinney would have closed the 7pt gap with bottom to give us home ice in round 1 and zero chance he would have closed the 28pt gap with tbay to change our first round opponent.

So what you're saying is the transition from McBackup to Sparks was actually a successful one, as evidenced by the fact that it's taken McBackup 2-3x years of NHL mediocrity and declining play in his late 30's to approach Spark's flame out save percentage numbers which landed him in the ECHL...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So what you're saying is the transition from McBackup to Sparks was actually a successful one, as evidenced by the fact that it's taken McBackup 2-3x years of NHL mediocrity and declining play in his late 30's to approach Spark's flame out save percentage numbers which landed him in the ECHL...

I'm saying that McElhinney fell off his career year as expected and there were many options we could have gone with to get us his level of backup goaltending. Losing him was no big whup.

Betting on Sparks was especially questionable in hindsight but I was happy to see the kid get a chance.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm saying that McElhinney fell off his career year as expected and there were many options we could have gone with to get us his level of backup goaltending. Losing him was no big whup.

Betting on Sparks was especially questionable in hindsight but I was happy to see the kid get a chance.

At the time betting on Sparks would have been the correct call since he was a home grown farm hand but quickly proved not to be the case. The real misjudgment was waiting till half way through 2019-20 to finally address the backup situation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To clarify for posterity, we needed McBackup in 2018-19 because he would have been a more reliable backup for Sparks, helped us get higher in the standings potentially and keep Andersen fresher for the playoff run we could have gone on. What McBackup has done the past two years is hardly relevant.

I think they likely would have still played Boston even if they were up a spot in the standings. Getting game 7 at home would have definitely been nice, though the team could have closed things out in game 6 at home regardless.

Either way, ancient history at this point

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
At the time betting on Sparks would have been the correct call since he was a home grown farm hand but quickly proved not to be the case. The real misjudgment was waiting till half way through 2019-20 to finally address the backup situation.

Fair.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
This team loves finding new ways to embarrass themselves and let down their fans.

Holtby stands on his head, Campbell lets in a stinker to lose it.

Everyone knew goaltending and defense were where we need help. Dubas gets a forward.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
At least the PP scored.

Holtby pulling horseshoes .. That was probably in but no proof to show it.

Campbell let in a couple of softies.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Trash

We won that game in regulation

This league is a joke. Get some god damn goal line technology.

Reactions: NHL WAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad