Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 5-0 - That'll do Cor... That'll do (converted)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i haven't been catching all of the Leafs Draft Revisited (I figured, why bother open all wounds today) but per usual i can not sleep, and so i am catching up on podcasts that i missed and, surprise, surprise, today was 2010's draft.

How appropriate as we just played the #4 guy in that draft. Ryan Johansen. (sigh). and Tyler Toffoli. Or Ryan Spooner. Yeup. but we have Brad Ross. doesn't that make everyone feel amazing?

And Tomorrow is 2011, so we missed out on Jenner, Saad, Jurco.. I have to stop, because it will just.. it will make me mad. it truly, truly will.

please. let us start making better decisions and have more options. please please please.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Hopefully saturday's game will be the last time I ever witness Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel and Bozak in Leafs uniforms.

It's time to cut ties with this pile of rubbish.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Hopefully saturday's game will be the last time I ever witness Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel and Bozak in Leafs uniforms.

It's time to cut ties with this pile of rubbish.

I think those at definitely the 4 that most need to go

I'd trade JVR too simply because he will command a great return also

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
JVR gets such a free pass. He is a bigger floater and is softer than Kessel.

It is simple. He doesn't get called out as much because he isn't paid as much, nor is he the team's best player.

At least he leads the team in goals this season. Someone said it best... he is like liquid. Takes shape of his teammates/linemates.

The guy who escapes the blame is Mr. Freeloader centering our top line for past 5-6 years. His defensive game is even worse than wingers on other team's top lines, and while playing besides a Phil Kessel in prime, he couldn't crack 50 points even once in his career.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You can't have selective approach at this. One has to look at the whole picture. This kind of reminds of Mark Masters, when he tweeted out that when Reimer doesn't give up 4+ goals in a game, his save % is very good.

If you somehow sell a 20 year old Honda Civic, and get $20k for it; and then used the same $20k to get another 18 year old Honda Civic; you aren't perceived as a smart man, but an idiot who managed to get lucky getting $20k in the first place.

Re: Your question: Grabovski buyout was wrong because it was a rash decision. Half season of good play by Kadri and he kicked Grabovski out (in spite of being known that an offensive center was deployed in checking role). Nonis decided to keep Bozak instead of Grabovski. Between the two, Grabovski still has had the better career, given who he played with.

For Komisarek: It was wrong because it was poor asset management. A GM is supposed to think long term. Nonis didn't. Having a compliance buyout was an asset. And Nonis spent an asset recklessly (which surely came back to haunt him ;)). Smart move was to endure through that final year of contract. Leafs were not in 'win-now' mode. So he wasn't going to hamper that much. But you won't agree about 'win-now' mode, and I bet Nonis thought the same too. Which is what brought us here, in this situation today. ;)

It is AMAZING how poorly Nonis managed his team. He had cap troubles even when working for a salary cap team. Imagine how bad his roster would be if he was working for a budget team like New Jersey or Arizona. Probably some ECHL level stuff.

P.S.: I kept ignoring theStar link but you kept posting it over and over again. So here is a quote from Grabovski buyout article now. Still going to stick with Komisarek buyout was used to resign Kadri and all.. rhetoric?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ski_bought_out_by_the_maple_leafs_report.html

To sum up your position short and concisely. You would rather have retained 10M in salary(capspace) off a season of pushing Boston to 7 games, a cup finalist mind you. For 2 players that have thus shown they were diminishing assets, one often concussed, the other out of the NHL all together. And to not spend that 10M of cap asset that the NHL allowed as cap relief due to the CBA to improve the team that summer.

Is this what you are saying? Nonis should have done.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs end the season 8-27-6 on the road one of their worst in franchise history and the worst road record in the NHL this year.

Only 1 win in 25 games in 2015 and that was Florida with 2 injured Panther goalies.

Its actually quite remarkable how bad this current team and season has been.

Jackets totally dominated this game from start to finish.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
A lot of the fans wanted a softer,gentler team.

And that is exactly what they got, plus a whole lot of boring. Now they want to trade Kessel for peanuts and call it "scorched earth." More like scorched brain.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
And that is exactly what they got, plus a whole lot of boring. Now they want to trade Kessel for peanuts and call it "scorched earth." More like scorched brain.

no one wants to give kessel away. many want him gone but i am yet to read anything on here where people want him got at any cost.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Columbus is a very good team and was ravaged by injuries with over 500+ man games lost to injury. They are an easy playoff team without those injuries.

You can see why Columbus has gone 13 games without a regulation loss based on their play.

PS. They also sit 8th from the bottom and could actually win the lottery and get McDavid.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Columbus is a very good team and was ravaged by injuries with over 500+ man games lost to injury. They are an easy playoff team without those injuries.

You can see why Columbus has gone 13 games without a regulation loss based on their play.

PS. They also sit 8th from the bottom and could actually win the lottery and get McDavid.

I want Columbus to win the lottery. Ahead of Leafs too. All teams need McDavid, but they deserve it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad