Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in Washington

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Habs are right on our tails again in the standings LMFAO

Our roster is completely better than theirs in every facet and yet they only finished 4 points behind us last year, had a better record than us in the 2nd half of the season, and will probably pass us eventually this year.

It's Claude Julien's 3rd full year with the Habs and he's instilled great defensive structure into them despite their lack of talent. And here we are with our complete moron of a head coach still looking like a laughable mess in the defensive zone with no improvements whatsoever during his time with the core.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
were going to be in tough this year...

Looking at all these top teams in the East and around the league with none of them having the same kind of overpayments Dubas have been handing over to our core players and I think to myself this team is done...ended before things even begun...a literal paper tiger made of money, spent to the max with no room for relief. Many top teams have about $10 million plus dedicated to their goaltending with a competent back-up, while we have about $5.7 million (good contract on Andersen , but with only $700K for Hutchinson because we can't afford anybody else). There's literally no salary relief to really shuffle the roster with Tavares down. Who is Dubas going to sacrifice to resign Mikheyev? And in a couple of years, how much does Rielly ask for? How much time does it take for this merry-go-round team to gel every year because of players leaving and new players coming in because that's the only thing Dubas could do to relief the cap pressure?

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Looking at all these top teams in the East and around the league with none of them having the same kind of overpayments Dubas have been handing over to our core players and I think to myself this team is done...ended before things even begun...a literal paper tiger made of money, spent to the max with no room for relief. Many top teams have about $10 million plus dedicated to their goaltending with a competent back-up, while we have about $5.7 million (good contract on Andersen , but with only $700K for Hutchinson because we can't afford anybody else). There's literally no salary relief to really shuffle the roster with Tavares down. Who is Dubas going to sacrifice to resign Mikheyev? And in a couple of years, how much does Rielly ask for? How much time does it take for this merry-go-round team to gel every year because of players leaving and new players coming in because that's the only thing Dubas could do to relief the cap pressure?
I agree superstar, don't get me wrong I love the leafs they are everything to me, but these salaries paid leave a real sour taste in my mouth.... the over payments are simply disgusting....

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I agree superstar, don't get me wrong I love the leafs they are everything to me, but these salaries paid leave a real sour taste in my mouth.... the over payments are simply disgusting....

Makes me sad and angry at the same time...we finally have a young and extremely talented core, ready to make history again, without a crazy owner eager to ship them out for pennies on the dollar and this is what happens.

Reactions: rubous

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Yeah, we're almost as bad as St.Louis was last year! Oh wait ... did we forget this is a 82 game season and not a 8 game season?
Oh wow thanks for clarifying there are 82 games (so smart), read my post where it says may miss the playoffs, guess you dont understand in sports anything is possible, Oh wait... we can win the cup or win a 1st overall pick

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Oh wow thanks for clarifying there are 82 games (so smart), read my post where it says may miss the playoffs, guess you dont understand in sports anything is possible, Oh wait... we can win the cup or win a 1st overall pick

Ahh, I see your logic now :sarcasm:

Montreal/Arizona may win the Stanley Cup this year.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
more teams should try to follow the Blues model and simply win a cup after being terrible for the first couple of months

Yup :sarcasm:

Honestly though, I just think Leaf fans aren't used to not starting off hot lol. I think every year for the past 5-6 years, we've always started off super-hot and at an unsustainable pace and then crashed predictably. This year is the opposite, and Leaf fans are freaking out.

It's all in the numbers too. St.Louis's PDO in the first half was bottom-5, and any stats person would've betted on them improving a lot (But not winning the cup lmao, that's wild). It's not unusual for a good team to not start off hot. Boston Bruins have always been a prime example, they usually start off slow in the first-half and then dominate in the 2nd half. This year, they're doing pretty good to start off and it's sustainable.

Leafs PDO to start the season is very, very low and unsustainable. Their PDO is guaranteed to climb high, which is why I find all these comments in this thread silly.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
The Habs are right on our tails again in the standings LMFAO

Our roster is completely better than theirs in every facet and yet they only finished 4 points behind us last year, had a better record than us in the 2nd half of the season, and will probably pass us eventually this year.

It's Claude Julien's 3rd full year with the Habs and he's instilled great defensive structure into them despite their lack of talent. And here we are with our complete moron of a head coach still looking like a laughable mess in the defensive zone with no improvements whatsoever during his time with the core.

They Ice Domi, Galagher and the new rookie finnish kid non stop and they are flourishing and learning. It shows!

Meanwhile Babcock sits Our 22 Million Dollar stars during a 1 goal game, and doesnt use a timeout, and doesn't let our young talent develop and learn.
IT F**KIN SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Yeah...Its a saddening reality that didnt hit until JT got injured.
Damn Dubas...

Tavares...FA signing of the decade. No brainer.
Nylander...Overpaid but hey, inflation, and he has a ceiling
Matthews... Generational Scorer, face of the franchise, breaking records left and right at 21 yrs old. NO BRAINER SIGN

Marner though? Really?
If this season is a bust, and Babcock is changed, and we still have issues because now we are in cap hell...

I will never wear a Marner Jersey, nor respect it the rest of my life.

Kid knew this was it, the leafs life line to complete a winning team, after a decade of obscurity, and he empties the pockets including the lint.

Praying for a blues type of season***

Reactions: Nylander88

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Hopefully the salary cap will increase enough to sign those players or maybe they can give a hometown discount.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Looking at all these top teams in the East and around the league with none of them having the same kind of overpayments Dubas have been handing over to our core players and I think to myself this team is done...ended before things even begun...

Backes is a bigger overpayment than anyone on the Leafs.

Overpaying core players isn't great but a lot of teams have overpayments to non-core players, which is even worse.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Sad we couldn't get one from the hometown kid
yeah, Mitch Marner wanted to be Rich Marner, but Nylander and Mathews wanted too much as well. I don't know why these players each could've taken 2 or 3 million less (they'd still be millionaires), this would've allowed the Leafs to sign a better defense or back up goalie. Wouldn't it be better to be not as rich, but win the cup?

Reactions: Nylander88

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Yeah...Its a saddening reality that didnt hit until JT got injured.
Damn Dubas...

Tavares...FA signing of the decade. Possibly the worst signing for the Leafs(nothing against JT he is a great player). Imagine this team without JT and 12m you can use to sign a good D and another center or wing.
Nylander...Overpaid but hey, inflation, and he has a ceiling
Matthews... Generational Scorer, face of the franchise, breaking records left and right at 21 yrs old. NO BRAINER SIGN

Marner though? Really?
If this season is a bust, and Babcock is changed, and we still have issues because now we are in cap hell...

I will never wear a Marner Jersey, nor respect it the rest of my life.

Kid knew this was it, the leafs life line to complete a winning team, after a decade of obscurity, and he empties the pockets including the lint.

Praying for a blues type of season***
Agree with everything now lol

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Yup :sarcasm:

Honestly though, I just think Leaf fans aren't used to not starting off hot lol. I think every year for the past 5-6 years, we've always started off super-hot and at an unsustainable pace and then crashed predictably. This year is the opposite, and Leaf fans are freaking out.

It's all in the numbers too. St.Louis's PDO in the first half was bottom-5, and any stats person would've betted on them improving a lot (But not winning the cup lmao, that's wild). It's not unusual for a good team to not start off hot. Boston Bruins have always been a prime example, they usually start off slow in the first-half and then dominate in the 2nd half. This year, they're doing pretty good to start off and it's sustainable.

Leafs PDO to start the season is very, very low and unsustainable. Their PDO is guaranteed to climb high, which is why I find all these comments in this thread silly.

We are in year 4 of the rebuild.

We have all the talent, we have the top paid coach in the league. Is it too much to ask for to have some consistency month to month, season to season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->