Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
This is the playoffs - the penalties will be few and far between, especially for the Leafs.

All the more reason that having effective special teams is so critical. It's cost us multiple series over the years.

At least the penalty kill has ended solidly so hopefully at least it's a wash.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is what the "meaningless game" folks aren't getting.

These last 2 games weren't meaningless to our opponents. Funny that.
Oh we are getting it. It's just funny if we won, the narrative would have flipped.
Ottawa was playing their last game of the season. Winnipeg has been in a tail spin for a month now and needed this game more. Those games were meaningfull and they lost. What does that say about them? We have been locked into 1st place. The fact you think they are similar situations is sad.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Why are you putting so much emphasis on 1 game? His whole body of work is excellent. I am not worried.

because he has been cooling off late

7d3bf832-20fe-4b3b-a41e-b3b14b0c22bc-jpeg.434014

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is what the "meaningless game" folks aren't getting.

These last 2 games weren't meaningless to our opponents. Funny that.

I mean just look at the 70s Canadiens. I'm sure they could have taken their foot off the gas, taken many nights off and not won 60 games or record 132 points and still win the Stanley Cup every year - but I think they wanted to win every night... I want to see that mentality from the Leafs. Because I see that mentality in other contenders we could very well be playing this summer.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Do you not understand the impact of getting the last change?

And when we may be playing in arenas with US fans, it’s likely better to limit the amount of games our opposition gets energized by them

You're getting cranky, go get some rest.

Let's get to the semi's before getting bent out of shape about home ice in a potential game 7 no less.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t want to look it up, I think when our PP was clicking, Keefe actually split the Big 4 in two units, maybe he should get back to that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't - but these were easily winnable games that would've put us into a better position down the stretch if we make it that far.

We had more to play for than our opponents, still played the vast majority of our roster, and still lost both games.

I agree. What was Ottawa playing for the other night other than a worst draft position? The pleasure of beating another team.

Reactions: LastOne2100

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't - but these were easily winnable games that would've put us into a better position down the stretch if we make it that far.

We had more to play for than our opponents, still played the vast majority of our roster, and still lost both games.
Leafs had nothing to play for. Thats a fact. So these games mean more now then the others we played?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Okay, I don't agree, but Galchenyuk provides no defensive value anywhere on the ice...which is why he's not in the playoff lineup despite how hard he works. So I'm failing to see what your point is?

The point is you aren't going to get a complete player at a discount, so Galchenyuk brings some faults.

Leafs are going to need some players who are at least willing to get in the dirty areas and throw checks. We can't leave that for Foligno, Simmonds and Hyman alone. It's been the teams weakness up front.

Also, Galchenyuk can be a game breaker. He doesn't need to be with this team but he has the ability.

So Gally can bring the physical element from time to time on top of a physical game. He will also be motivated as well facing his former team.

I can't complain with Keefe wanting a strong defensive line and I understand that if Hyman and Foligno are on the top two, that Galchenyuk has a more narrow path to play.

When he has been at his best, he's been more impactful and a bigger pest for the other team than Mikheyev has been.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Had a chance to avoid Colorado or Vegas 3rd round. Better hope pit loses. Ugh. Typical

Yea, let's get there first FFS.

Besides, if you're actually gonna win the thing, you beat whoever gets put in front of you.

It's the one thing EVERY championship team has in common.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That was probably that Ottawa team's most important game of the last couple months.

It's funny because all their Leaf games seem to be a big effort while they roll over and die vs Edmonton like they get bonus money for McDavid's scoring totals.

As a maturing team I hope we get that killer instinct where we just want to kill teams every night.

Reactions: Menzinger

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Seems like his teammates have been giving the opposition some pretty good chances point blank as well though...

this is what i dont get. when campbell lets in goals it is the defence but freddy lets in goals it is teh goalie

is it that his teammates deicde to play awesome defence but freddie lets them down and play terrible defence when campbell is in net?

Reactions: Cleetus

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sure some teams will figure out your PP.

When every team does though, that is a strategic fail on the Leafs. They have the money to throw at the problem next year. It's not getting fixed this year because it's not the players on the ice that is the problem. It's an off-ice issue that will result in some house cleaning.

Can't the head coach make changes if the PP coach's tactics aren't working?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
this is what i dont get. when campbell lets in goals it is the defence but freddy lets in goals it is teh goalie

is it that his teammates deicde to play awesome defence but freddie lets them down and play terrible defence when campbell is in net?
Campbell is playing like a starter is expected to, maybe slightly better

Fred's playing like an AHL callup. It's not more complicated than that

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's concerning. People don't wanna be concerned that's on them.

I'm not super concerned with the last two games, but traditionally I haven't been comfortable with the personality of the team because I don't think they're killers.

Reactions: Cobra777

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's concerning. People don't wanna be concerned that's on them.
3 game sweep against a very good team in the Oilers? Means nothing.
Sweeping the Jets that would have given them life for first? Means nothing.
Last 2 games where everything is already locked in and losing? Means a lot

Reactions: Gallagbi

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
If the unspeakable happens it definitely wouldn't have a tiny bit of value.
If, on a more positive note, if there are a few upsets in the other divisions we may end up as the #1 anyway.

Why should we rely on other teams losing instead of controlling our own fate?

Reactions: geo25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad