Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not shifting anything. You replied to my post.

I posted stats and your opinion is that those stats are not true.

The only thing you are using to backup that "Leafs gave up more chances" is your opinion.

I prefer to use stats vs an opinion that I think is completely wrong. Why should I have to explain stats to you.

I too don't particularly find his reasoning of "because I said so" too convincing either :laugh:

I have no clue how anyone can dispute goaltending wasn't the difference last night.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I too don't particularly find his reasoning of "because I said so" too convincing either :laugh:

I have no clue how anyone can dispute goaltending wasn't the difference last night.

Yeah. You could argue that the scorers should have scored more.

But that doesn't excuse poor goal tending, it would have just covered for it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I gotta ask, what is refs calling playoff hockey ? (Honest question)
I don't honestly think anyone really knows. It is all about game management. Keep the game in control. Unless it is a penalty which stops/creates a scoring chance then it is called likely. But in a playoff OT game you need to mug a guy on a scoring chance for it to be called for sure. This issue will be a major problem for our Leafs. We can be easily trapped like last night. We need these refs to stop the interference on our players without puck.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't honestly think anyone really knows. It is all about game management. Keep the game in control. Unless it is a penalty which stops/creates a scoring chance then it is called likely. But in a playoff OT game you need to mug a guy on a scoring chance for it to be called for sure. This issue will be a major problem for our Leafs. We can be easily trapped like last night. We need these refs to stop the interference on our players without puck.

It's not about what gets called, it's about what doesn't get called. Marner was getting hooked and slashed all night and the refs didn't do shit. That effectively takes away Marner's extra little bit of space that he needs to work his magic.

Just like the series against the Bruins, they regularly pull this shit to shut down our star players (especially Chara) and the refs put the whistle away.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Shouldn't be a problem if we get key saves from the goal tender (or offense outscores those missed saves).

Bishop was better last night, plain and simple.

In a tight game like that it only takes a player or a couple to make the difference. That player can absolutely not be the goalie.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It's not about what gets called, it's about what doesn't get called. Marner was getting hooked and slashed all night and the refs didn't do ****. That effectively takes away Marner's extra little bit of space that he needs to work his magic.

Just like the series against the Bruins, they regularly pull this **** to shut down our star players (especially Chara) and the refs put the whistle away.

Chara also adds in a couple of sucker punches and cross checks after the whistle for measure. :laugh:

Reactions: IPS

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's not about what gets called, it's about what doesn't get called. Marner was getting hooked and slashed all night and the refs didn't do ****. That effectively takes away Marner's extra little bit of space that he needs to work his magic.

Just like the series against the Bruins, they regularly pull this **** to shut down our star players (especially Chara) and the refs put the whistle away.
It’s almost like if you want to win the Cup you have to come with more to the table, as individuals and teams because life just doesn’t open up to go your way.
That’s why you can’t just build all one way.
What if the game within the game changes?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’s almost like if you want to win the Cup you have to come with more to the table, as individuals and teams because life just doesn’t open up to go your way.
That’s why you can’t just build all one way.
What if the game within the game changes?

What else to we need to "bring to the table"? Elaborate please.

Chara also adds in a couple of sucker punches and cross checks after the whistle for measure. :laugh:

We're good now that we got Clifford right? Can we have Clifford sock Marchand or Pastrnak in the back of the head in a scrum and get off scott free?

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm not shifting anything. You replied to my post.

I posted stats and your opinion is that those stats are not true.

The only thing you are using to backup that "Leafs gave up more chances" is your opinion.

I prefer to use stats vs an opinion that I think is completely wrong. Why should I have to explain stats to you.

Lol, you can keep misquoting me of you want... the stats you’re using to justify your opinion are junk.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What else to we need to "bring to the table"? Elaborate please.

We're good now that we got Clifford right? Can we have Clifford sock Marchand or Pastrnak in the back of the head in a scrum and get off scott free?
What happens if we get no calls?
What happens if we get injured?
What happens if you are getting hacked or slashed and nobody sees?
What happens if it’s a neutral zone trap game and you can’t freewheel?
What happens if it’s a defensive battle where you aren’t generating many chances?
What happens if the game turns north/south get in behind the D?
What happens if the other team is crashing the net?
What happens if they come with a hard period of forecheck/physical?

Are you prepared for all that? Or are we just prepared to blame everything else?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
That was a good game , not as good as there last meeting but it was close .Im shocked how many of you are blaming Anderson though and saying bishop was the difference . I know I’m a stars fan but I’m also a leafs fan and they just got out defended . Bishop played an average game and didn’t really have to make any big saves . For the most part the game was played on the outside for both teams and not a lot of high danger chances for either side . Sometimes there’s no excuse , it’s just a matter of 1 bounce .

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Well Leafs had 11 High Danger Scoring Chances and Dallas had 8.

Leafs expected goals for were 1.94 and Dallas' was 1.19.

Points to losing the goal tending battle.

I'm fairly positive you will just dismiss these stats, so I'm not sure where we go from here.

No, I won’t dismiss those stats. I guess my main point is, a terrific offence alone won’t win championships. An old saying goes, “Offence wins games, defence wins championships.” When I think of teams who I feel have a legitimate chance of winning the Cup, I think of St. Louis, Washington, Tampa and Boston. What do these teams have in common: great goaltending, balanced scoring or a truly dominant line ie. Boston, very good to great defence, and some grinders who aren’t afraid to go into the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and who can also chip in some goals (timely ones at that). How many of these things do the Leafs have? I believe we’re at least another year, maybe two, before we can be considered a legitimate Cup threat.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

We should build a team that can play this playoff hockey. It just might work

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We should build a team that can play this playoff hockey. It just might work

We have a president who was literally the physical embodiment of "playoff hockey" yet he doesn't want any sort of thing built in the team he's president of?

I think they see something we don't.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
What happens if we get no calls?
What happens if we get injured?
What happens if you are getting hacked or slashed and nobody sees?
What happens if it’s a neutral zone trap game and you can’t freewheel?
What happens if it’s a defensive battle where you aren’t generating many chances?
What happens if the game turns north/south get in behind the D?
What happens if the other team is crashing the net?
What happens if they come with a hard period of forecheck/physical?

Are you prepared for all that? Or are we just prepared to blame everything else?
Leafs lose
Leafs lose
Leafs lose
Leafs lose
Leafs lose
Leafs lose
Leafs lose
Leafs lose

It's almost as if building a team in a manner completely opposite, to what we all know the playoffs are like, will backfire.

We all seem to know what the Bruins do, and the Stars now, yet we've decided to not fight fire with fire, but fight fire with paper

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Where did I misquote you ?

I never stated that the Leafs gave up more scoring chances as a justification as to why expected goal stats are not great metrics... you seemed to have somehow interpreted it that way though...

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
We have a president who was literally the physical embodiment of "playoff hockey" yet he doesn't want any sort of thing built in the team he's president of?

I think they see something we don't.
I agree.

But for the life of me, I cannot figure out what they're seeing.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
No, I won’t dismiss those stats. I guess my main point is, a terrific offence alone won’t win championships. An old saying goes, “Offence wins games, defence wins championships.” When I think of teams who I feel have a legitimate chance of winning the Cup, I think of St. Louis, Washington, Tampa and Boston. What do these teams have in common: great goaltending, balanced scoring or a truly dominant line ie. Boston, very good to great defence, and some grinders who aren’t afraid to go into the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and who can also chip in some goals (timely ones at that). How many of these things do the Leafs have? I believe we’re at least another year, maybe two, before we can be considered a legitimate Cup threat.

So you pick the Stanley Cup winner from 2 years ago and the two teams in the Finals last year ?

Pretty obvious those teams will be good.

Tampa was the worst team in the playoffs last year by a significant margin, and they play a similar style to the Leafs.

What did you say the year before Washington won the cup ?

2017 - Pitt Vs Nashville - Both Skilled Teams
2016 - Pitt Vs San Jose - Both Skilled Teams
2015 - Chicago Vs Tampa Bay - Both Skilled Teams

The whole "this type of team can't compete for a cup" is BS. Just that the recent cup winners (Only the last 2) didn't play this style.

They aren't a perfect team, and they are still building.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I never stated that the Leafs gave up more scoring chances as a justification as to why expected goal stats are not great metrics... you seemed to have somehow interpreted it that way though...

Guess this doesn't count as saying "Leafs gave up more scoring chances" :facepalm:

I have an idea... how about instead of taking shots and jabs at me, why don’t you actually debate the opinion instead of being a hypocrite? The expected goals stats are largely inaccurate. Prove me wrong.

I didn’t say the Leafs were the worse team... but they did give up more scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad