Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
How many season did it take the Caps to win?
I don't believe it's a fixed model, but imo 4 years is a little quick. I feel next year they should be mature enough to make a bigger splash. The deeper they go the more they learn.
My point is that it's not about having patience in just one season, it's a big picture patience, so when a post talks about a good learning experience for the core, it's meant in that mind set

Why are the Caps are a bench mark for this team? Caps had the privilege to run into a guy name Sydney Crosby / Malkin year in year out
There was a team called Boston year in year out was a heck of a team that they had to face

That team for all their talk is actually a flop. Considering their talent level they should have at least gone to the finals more. I wouldn't use them as a measuring stick

Measuring stick should be LA, Chicago and Penguins

You saw the progress with Chicago within 3rd year of drafting Kane. They were on the upswing and they were competing. Not just playing good hockey. They were fighting for every puck, every shift. They had a good blend of skill and size

LA, they won games strictly on hard work and tenacity
Boston, well need I say more? tenacity, hard work and skill

Even the Pens, 3rd year into Syd, they were on a massive upswing. They went to the finals and won it the next year.

Be honest, out of all those teams, who do the Leafs remind you off? nobody. None of those teams

There's no hard work, there's no tenacity and there's definitely isn't any toughness

Those teams were already winning few rounds, going past 1st rounds. On their 4th seasons, they weren't battling for a playoff spot
(Except for LA finishing 8th, but that was an exception)

They were already contending for president's trophy, being a contender. Not just getting into the playoffs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I kinda glossed over that when I read it the first time, did Muzzin actually come out and say something about Barrie?
No there was no public statement made. It was all inside the dressing room after the Habs loss. There were some comments apparently on social media about Leafs feud. I don't think it was a feud at all. I don't know for sure as I get things 3rd hand from my friends who are Toronto parents of kids on team. Our kids played together for many years. Not fast friends but good friends 15+ years who still dine and drink together when we can as we all have busy lives. I think the social media stuff was overly dramatic too. My best guess is it was a frustrating loss and some took it out on Barrie. Maybe even regret what they said in heat of moment. But only the guys in the room know for sure what was said. It is should stay that way.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs can't start a period. Every goal was within the first 2 mins, they looked asleep. I don't fault Andy on the 3 goals.

Wes is normally a good ref but god damn was he awful last night. That hooking call on Marner was brutal, was nowhere near a hook and resulted in the game winning goal. A couple missed holdings/trippings against Dallas too. I honestly feel like we had FAR better chances. Dallas just capitalized on theirs.

Stars had a breakaway scored, we had one and nothing. Both teams scored a PP goal. Stars first goal of the game, scramble in front and basically was another breakaway, stars player in front all alone.

Need to wake up and start periods on time, and cut down the turnovers especially in our own zone. So many dumb no look passes, drop passes, passes across the crease. Overall i think we were the better team but Dallas capitalized on our mistakes/their chances, and we did not. I don't blame Andy for that game.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The bolded is true but our offense in the last 3 games has been horrible, I mean 5 goals in regulation over 3 games is horrible. Though they've also had only 6 goals against in regulation during those 3 games, normally 6-5 either way would be one games output for the Leafs. They tried to play a good defensive game last night (hence only 19 shots against) and although Freddy let in some softies but our offense should have been able to score a few more goals to save Freddy's bacon, he has saved their bacon so many times since he has been on the Leafs.

It's funny how everyone talks about the players play better when they have confidence in the goalie (to make the big saves that they give up) but no one ever mentions that the goalie can play better when he has more confidence in his team (to score the big goals when he has let in some softies).

First off, the production I am talking about, is overall (Season by Season) and before they signed their contracts (for this post you quoted specifically).

I completely agree. This team needs to find ways to be that good defensively (fairly solid last night), but also let that offense shine.

That way if they play well defensively and the goalie doesn't bail them out on the few chances they do give up they can make up for it.

I've been a huge Anderson supporter since the Leafs got him, but you have to criticize when it's due. The same way I criticized when JT had a bad stretch earlier in the year.

If this team finds a way to get everything clicking at the same time (seems always some thing working great others not so great) they will be dangerous.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs can't start a period. Every goal was within the first 2 mins, they looked asleep. I don't fault Andy on the 3 goals.

Wes is normally a good ref but god damn was he awful last night. That hooking call on Marner was brutal, was nowhere near a hook and resulted in the game winning goal. A couple missed holdings/trippings against Dallas too. I honestly feel like we had FAR better chances. Dallas just capitalized on theirs.

Stars had a breakaway scored, we had one and nothing. Both teams scored a PP goal. Stars first goal of the game, scramble in front and basically was another breakaway, stars player in front all alone.

Need to wake up and start periods on time, and cut down the turnovers especially in our own zone. So many dumb no look passes, drop passes, passes across the crease. Overall i think we were the better team but Dallas capitalized on our mistakes/their chances, and we did not. I don't blame Andy for that game.
Well stated. We got sick of BS reffing up in upper deck last night. Sad but lower deck SILENCE. Not back from corporate drinks yet i guess.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Well stated. We got sick of BS reffing up in upper deck last night. Sad but lower deck SILENCE. Not back from corporate drinks yet i guess.

I was in 311 and all you heard were boos and expletives. I normally don't complain about Wes but that wasn't his best game. The hook on Marner was a brutal call. Matthews got tripped a few times before they finally called it.

The tripping call against Tavares..the guy was literally already falling on his own as he turned the corner, frustrating. Regardless though, the defense needs to be better, especially at the start of periods. Basically 2 breakaway goals, and then a wide open net rebound on the PK. I'm not sure what else could've been done honestly, the defender had the man in front of the net, maybe the guy playing right wing on D should've come down ? But I don't think Freddy had a chance on it.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, no point arguing with someone who will only use his opinions to back up his arguments.

Prob nothing for us to talk about since you won't accept that stats are stats.

Not sure how you can watch that game last night (Even without stats) and argue the Leafs were the worse team.
My impression was one team was playing playoff type hockey while the other was playing regular season hockey.

Reactions: MyBudJT and ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My impression was one team was playing playoff type hockey while the other was playing regular season hockey.
and refs were calling playoff hockey too except the call on Marner and and yeah the one on Tavares ... house league reffing neither were penalties ... it was all game management and a downside of 2 ref system

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
and refs were calling playoff hockey too except the call on Marner and and yeah the one on Tavares ... house league reffing neither were penalties ... it was all game management and a downside of 2 ref system
Yeah they were pretty weak calls.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Not every breakaway is a goal, especially a one on one.

Was it telling both were similar goals?

Rusty and not up to speed, but he's been as good as he's been bad.
This year, there has been more bad play than good for Andy.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Honestly I don't really believe in "playoff type hockey", maybe teams tighten up a bit because no one wants to be the player making the mistake.

Dallas played a defensive (boring) game, Leafs played their game.

Leafs had more chances and did play a good game. Andersen wasn't his best. Top players had opportunities to add another goal or 2 as well.

They lost to a good team. Simple as that.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yeah, no point arguing with someone who will only use his opinions to back up his arguments.

Prob nothing for us to talk about since you won't accept that stats are stats.

Not sure how you can watch that game last night (Even without stats) and argue the Leafs were the worse team.

I have an idea... how about instead of taking shots and jabs at me, why don’t you actually debate the opinion instead of being a hypocrite? The expected goals stats are largely inaccurate. Prove me wrong.

I didn’t say the Leafs were the worse team... but they did give up more scoring chances.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I have an idea... how about instead of taking shots and jabs at me, why don’t you actually debate the opinion instead of being a hypocrite? The expected goals stats are largely inaccurate. Prove me wrong.

I didn’t say the Leafs were the worse team... but they did give up more scoring chances.

Stats show that they didn't.

Your opinion says they did.

I think I would rather side with stats.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Why are the Caps are a bench mark for this team? Caps had the privilege to run into a guy name Sydney Crosby / Malkin year in year out
There was a team called Boston year in year out was a heck of a team that they had to face

That team for all their talk is actually a flop. Considering their talent level they should have at least gone to the finals more. I wouldn't use them as a measuring stick

Measuring stick should be LA, Chicago and Penguins

You saw the progress with Chicago within 3rd year of drafting Kane. They were on the upswing and they were competing. Not just playing good hockey. They were fighting for every puck, every shift. They had a good blend of skill and size

LA, they won games strictly on hard work and tenacity
Boston, well need I say more? tenacity, hard work and skill

Even the Pens, 3rd year into Syd, they were on a massive upswing. They went to the finals and won it the next year.

Be honest, out of all those teams, who do the Leafs remind you off? nobody. None of those teams

There's no hard work, there's no tenacity and there's definitely isn't any toughness

Those teams were already winning few rounds, going past 1st rounds. On their 4th seasons, they weren't battling for a playoff spot
(Except for LA finishing 8th, but that was an exception)

They were already contending for president's trophy, being a contender. Not just getting into the playoffs
I guess it would depend on when you consider the start date of their rebuilds?
Did Chicago start with kane or Keith?
Did Pittsburgh start with Crosby?
If we take an objective look I think we would see that all teams are trying to reach the promised land and there are various routes to get there, but all of them took time.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
How many season did it take the Caps to win?
I don't believe it's a fixed model, but imo 4 years is a little quick. I feel next year they should be mature enough to make a bigger splash. The deeper they go the more they learn.
My point is that it's not about having patience in just one season, it's a big picture patience, so when a post talks about a good learning experience for the core, it's meant in that mind set
I have been listening at crap like this for 40 odd years.:rolleyes:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
1) it was a joke
2) yes. We all have opinions. What is your point exactly?

My point is that you are throwing out your opinion, as if it were facts or stats.

No problem having an opinion and debating it, but don't pretend your opinion is a fact or a stat.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
My point is that you are throwing out your opinion, as if it were facts or stats.

No problem having an opinion and debating it, but don't pretend your opinion is a fact or a stat.

The majority of people here state opinions as if they’re facts. What’s your problem??

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
My opinion is that expected goal stats aren’t a great metric. You’re shifting goalposts

I'm not shifting anything. You replied to my post.

I posted stats and your opinion is that those stats are not true.

The only thing you are using to backup that "Leafs gave up more chances" is your opinion.

I prefer to use stats vs an opinion that I think is completely wrong. Why should I have to explain stats to you.

Reactions: kb and IPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->