Rumor: Leafs looking into Bernier

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Actually from the main trade board, but figured it'd be good to start a thread not filled with Leafs fans telling us to take Clarke MacArthur...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1324341

While I do debate the value of even tarding Bernier, if we did deal him I wonder what the Leafs have we'd want.

I like Frattin, but I just don't know where we'd place him on this team. Maybe deal for him and just find room with Nolan on the farm and hope Frattin could replace Penner or Gagne next year?

Anyways, stab in the dark here at a trade proposal:

Bernier for Frattin and Tyler Biggs and a 2nd?
Bernier for Frattin and a 1st?

Captain Mittens*

Actually from the main trade board, but figured it'd be good to start a thread not filled with Leafs fans telling us to take Clarke MacArthur...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1324341

While I do debate the value of even tarding Bernier, if we did deal him I wonder what the Leafs have we'd want.

I like Frattin, but I just don't know where we'd place him on this team. Maybe deal for him and just find room with Nolan on the farm and hope Frattin could replace Penner or Gagne next year?

Anyways, stab in the dark here at a trade proposal:

Bernier for Frattin and a 1st?

Let me guess the Leafs fans proposals

McArthur
Bozak
Aulie
3rd

for
Bernier
and Demi Lovato

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Just say no to any trade involving Bernier. With Quick coming off a back injury requiring surgery, you just never know. One tweak of the back for an athletic goaltender and with no Bernier as our back up and we are screwed.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland

I think Bernier has not as much tradevalue than some think. I'm happy if we get Tyler Biggs, because we don't have his kind of player (big, physical right-shooting young winger) in our system. Biggs will never be more than 3rd line winger, because there is no offensive upside, but I like him anyway.

Bernier, pick <-> Biggs, Scrivens

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
With the short season and Quick's recovery, I say hold onto Bernier. Not sure there is a better goalie option as a backup right now.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Draft or post-free agency. Not right before this compacted schedule.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm am in no rush to see Dean trade Bernier. He certainly shouldn't be traded for a player of MacArthur's calibre.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I doubt Dean would deal Bernier until either the trade deadline or the next offseason unless there is a notable backup coming the other way. Can't see a deal with them that allows us to stay competitive in goal without Quick, should something else happen to him.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I did see an interesting thing in the trade board thread that made me think. Basically it was the idea that the Leafs should wait until the offseason and then offersheet JB. Make a $3mper claim and the compensation would be a 2nd rounder. DL might match it but the idea is an interesting gambit.

Don't see it happening but it was an interesting idea.

I love the arguments of "the Kings should be happy to get Macarthur and a 3rd for JB" and "I wouldn't offer more than a 2nd and a B prospect".

Try that logic with everything that you buy. Walk into a car dealership and say "take my bike and $200 dollars and hand over that new jeep". You should be happy to get that.

Meh.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You don't think about trading Bernier this season, PERIOD. The Kings have a rare opportunity here to repeat...and they aren't going to do it if Quick gets injured. You have to keep Bernier as that insurance if he does.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Would a Reimer+ for Bernier deal make sense for either sides?

That would be the likely scenario if we were to make a deal with Toronto, as they have to get rid of a goaltender, but it would obviously depend on whether the Kings feel comfortable with him as the backup, and also if he would be as well since he is in a similar position like Bernier, a young netminder who has essentially been playing a tandem/top role on the Leafs and would suddenly find himself as a career backup behind Quick.
In all likeliness, I would think that Lombardi is looking for a veteran that knows he is in a backup/mentor role rather than a young guy who is looking for a starting job.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lombardi did multiple deals and trades Bernier to a team like the Leafs for depth on the wings or a defenseman with picks, and then turns around and makes a deal/signs a reliable, older veteran to play behind Quick.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The offer sheet would be a worry to me. I could see Bernier signing a long-term offer and if the other team was convinced as we are that Bernier can be a starter in this league, a $3 million price tag is nothing, and a 2nd round pick is nothing to pay for a guy you think could be a good NHL starter who is only 24.

Could be incentive for DL to get a deal done, but I agree, wait until the tarde deadline or after we get bumped out of the playoffs.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The offer sheet would be a worry to me. I could see Bernier signing a long-term offer and if the other team was convinced as we are that Bernier can be a starter in this league, a $3 million price tag is nothing, and a 2nd round pick is nothing to pay for a guy you think could be a good NHL starter who is only 24.

Could be incentive for DL to get a deal done, but I agree, wait until the tarde deadline or after we get bumped out of the playoffs.

An offer sheet is very unlikely as we would have no incentive not to match. Bernier is signed cheaply this year and we have no intention of carrying him next season. A signed Bernier to a moderate deal like that would make him more appealing and have no downside to the Kings. We would show him off this year and deal him for a little bit more value and maintain our insurance.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
An offer sheet is very unlikely as we would have no incentive not to match. Bernier is signed cheaply this year and we have no intention of carrying him next season. A signed Bernier to a moderate deal like that would make him more appealing and have no downside to the Kings. We would show him off this year and deal him for a little bit more value and maintain our insurance.

Sure if the offersheet was for the $3mper that was mentioned on the Leafs board but as the money and terms go up so does the compensation. If the Leafs were to make an offersheet on JB (which I don't think would actually happen) then it would make the most sense for them to make an offer that could actually get him.

If they were to make an offer of over $4mper the compensation goes up as do the chances that we may not match it.

Of course then the Leafs would just be better off making a solid trade offer for him and then signing him to better long term deal.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Sure if the offersheet was for the $3mper that was mentioned on the Leafs board but as the money and terms go up so does the compensation. If the Leafs were to make an offersheet on JB (which I don't think would actually happen) then it would make the most sense for them to make an offer that could actually get him.

If they were to make an offer of over $4mper the compensation goes up as do the chances that we may not match it.

Of course then the Leafs would just be better off making a solid trade offer for him and then signing him to better long term deal.

Pretty much. I am all for getting a Leafs 1st round pick, so let them try... :P

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if Lombardi did multiple deals and trades Bernier to a team like the Leafs for depth on the wings or a defenseman with picks, and then turns around and makes a deal/signs a reliable, older veteran to play behind Quick.

That's the only conceivable way I see the Kings moving Bernier. They have no one to take his spot currently.

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010
1) Leafs are makng noise to try and make Vancouver lower their selling price.
2) Kings need a good backup to win now, since this is a shortened season with fewer losses acceptable than usual and many games on consecutive days.
3) Another team, such as CBJ, TBL, etc., may want a goalie upgrade if their current guys don't step up.
4) Same as 3), except without the "if": this is the year Corey Crawford crashes and burns, and Chicago trades a top forward prospect+ for a goalie.
5) Kings are looking to get a solid young defenseman like, ironically, Karl Alzner (or better, like Tyler Myers :cry:), as return for Bernier, not the Forwards TML and TBL are/were offering.
6) NJD has those defensive prospects, and doesn't need a goalie until after this season, the same time the Kings stop really needing a backup who can win now.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Oh I think we would match. I think DL would look at it more from the complications it would create having a backup on the roster making $3 million per who will likely only get 10-20 games a year, barring injury. This is compounded by the fact that we will be in a tight cap situation next year barring trades or letting Scuds, Penner and/or Gagne walk, all of which have to be replaced.

An additional factor is that Bernier's tarde value will decrease the higher his contract goes. If we keep him at $3 million per season, not as many teams will be willing to take a chance on him in hopes he can pan out as a starter as that is increased risk, especially if the offer is a long-term deal. If DL deals Bernier though after the season, then the acquiring team can try and negotiate a deal exclusively, one that they could stomach more, or even negotiate a contract as part of the deal.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
1) Leafs are makng noise to try and make Vancouver lower their selling price.
2) Kings need a good backup to win now, since this is a shortened season with fewer losses acceptable than usual and many games on consecutive days.
3) Another team, such as CBJ, TBL, etc., may want a goalie upgrade if their current guys don't step up.
4) Same as 3), except without the "if": this is the year Corey Crawford crashes and burns, and Chicago trades a top forward prospect+ for a goalie.
5) Kings are looking to get a solid young defenseman like, ironically, Karl Alzner (or better, like Tyler Myers :cry:), as return for Bernier, not the Forwards TML and TBL are/were offering.
6) NJD has those defensive prospects, and doesn't need a goalie until after this season, the same time the Kings stop really needing a backup who can win now.

As a Bernier fan I would love to see him him learn from Marty. If he is not a King than a Devil is one of the next best options.
edit* oh and both NJD goalies are signed for one more year after this, so I am not sure they will actually do it.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As a Bernier fan I would love to see him him learn from Marty. If he is not a King than a Devil is one of the next best options.
edit* oh and both NJD goalies are signed for one more year after this, so I am not sure they will actually do it.

This is where those amnesty buyouts could play in.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
ok fellow king fans i know i read it and saw it somewhere but i need the link to prove it to someone on the main boards im lookin for two links one that says not tsn McKenzie said we were offered a frist plus a propect for bernier and also one said dean said also one stating that dean wants a frist plus. I cant seem to find it please if someone can help this technically challenged person It would be apreciated greatly

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I did see an interesting thing in the trade board thread that made me think. Basically it was the idea that the Leafs should wait until the offseason and then offersheet JB. Make a $3mper claim and the compensation would be a 2nd rounder. DL might match it but the idea is an interesting gambit.

Don't see it happening but it was an interesting idea.

I love the arguments of "the Kings should be happy to get Macarthur and a 3rd for JB" and "I wouldn't offer more than a 2nd and a B prospect".

Try that logic with everything that you buy. Walk into a car dealership and say "take my bike and $200 dollars and hand over that new jeep". You should be happy to get that.

Meh.

The thing is that Bernier has to sign the contract. Don't you believe he can get more than that from another team or 50 percent more if he holds off and waits until his UFA years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad