Post-Game Talk: Leafs kind of try, and lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Why is it that the ice time has to come before certain players play well?

We saw in the Chicago game that Babcock will give you more ice if a certain player is "on", on a back to back no less. Tonight all of Matthews, Nylander and Tavares all underperformed and probably didn't warrant much more ice time.
If you're losing,it doesn't matter what has happened up to that point...you gotta SCORE...just because someone is working hard(doing their job) doesn't mean you bench your offensive weapons in order to scold them.

Reactions: IPS and Teeder Keon

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Isles were a bit better. Not unexpected.

We will get better we are not far from the hottest team maybe in the league.

Everybody take a deep breath. Something good needs to happen soon to snap the team out of this funk. Would love to beat Boston Friday and then Kaskisuo steal one on Saturday.

That would go a long way to kickstarting the 2nd quarter of the season. They need to forget the first quarter and make sure the next 3 quarters are much better.

I've got to ask, if the team has been inconsistent like this since last Christmas why are we getting better?

Doing the same thing over and over again doesn't usually end in different results

Yeah, this team beating Boston and winning both games of a b2b looks highly unlikely, in fact it looks virtually impossible

Reactions: leaferbeliever

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I agree, and the packers you can tell who the NFL wants to win, those BS calls against the Lions vs the packers was a complete joke.
Oh yea. Once they made the Packers main offensive play The hail mary PI flag reviewable the refs invented a new one. Just like how it was against the Lions and one of the greatest receivers ever that they pulled the previously unknown football play out of their asses

Reactions: Lightsol and rubous

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Then you remember that when the team needed him the most, Kadri decided to be a moron and get himself suspended for the entire playoff round...
True, he did the wrong thing by getting suspended.

At least he gave a shit, put out for his teammates.

More than what you can say for too many players on this team.

If what we are seeing is Dubas' way of fixing the Kadri problem, well, he's doing it all wrong.

Reactions: baton elevated

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Dubas never played college or major junior? And this guy has a job as the general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs? I always thought he was a fraud but never realized how accurate that particular word was. I guess I assumed he retired due to injuries? Didn’t realize he never made it out of minor hockey. :laugh:

That explains a lot.

Reactions: Legendary

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think they had the puck in the Islanders zone, something like 11 minutes, of the 11:20 that Gauthier was on the ice.... ok, I made that up, and am probably exaggerating... That being said, I think the forwards on that line only managed three shots on goal with all that possession... really, they should just send the puck back to the D men, and then screen and hope for rebounds. But great possession.
Except goat had more cf events than Matthews.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I think he has another 20 games to turn things around. Tough task with all the road games and no Marner. If he is below .500 in the next 20 games I think he's gone in the new year and Keefe is in.
Would give Keefe a half season to adjust to the NHL. This season can ge sacrificed for the greater good

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Oh yea. Once they made the Packers main offensive play The hail mary PI flag reviewable the refs invented a new one. Just like how it was against the Lions and one of the greatest receivers ever that they pulled the previously unknown football play out of their asses
I read somewhere that Aaron Rodgers says the league needs to give the packers more calls for them, as they have been cheated more times than not, I spit my coffee out!

Reactions: Erdinger

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You complaining about Hyman and then telling me to be real?
Did he score or something? For all of Babs 'staying the course' ...did they win? I will always complain about Babs not playing his best offensive weapons more when losing...Zach is useful,but he isn't the best option for scoring...Is he?

Reactions: IPS

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I read somewhere that Aaron Rodgers says the league needs to give the packers more calls for them, as they have been cheated more times than not, I spit my coffee out!
Ballsy from the QB who benefits from the most uncalled offensive line interference in the entire NFL...

Reactions: rubous

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
And you know why the former is the case. Please stop being disingenuous.
If the Leafs were in any other division, they'd have home ice. But they're in the division that had three 100 point teams in it, and they were the third.
As for where they are right now, my point that teams CAN build this way still stands. And I'm personally of the opinion that the coach has a lot to do with it, as the roster does not match his preferred coaching method, and he absolutely refuses to change it in any way.
Pay a coach that much money on that much term, consider what you just said, and then wonder if we miss classified the 'pain' the man meant was coming.

Finishing last when you expect to or failing when you expect to succeed. What hurts more?

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Babcock knows the team could’ve won that game. Not a great game from Fredo (who let the mob down)!

Beauvillier scores two that I think are saved most nights.

Babcock goes nowhere until they miss or bounce in round 1.

Reactions: hector morrison

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I've got to ask, if the team has been inconsistent like this since last Christmas why are we getting better?

Doing the same thing over and over again doesn't usually end in different results

Yeah, this team beating Boston and winning both games of a b2b looks highly unlikely, in fact it looks virtually impossible

I am holding out hope they will have a better next 20 games. If they don't Babcock is gone which can't come soon enough IMO. The team can't or won't play his style it seems.

Reactions: stickty111

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
What Egocock sees

upload_2019-11-13_23-2-14.jpeg

Reactions: fahad203

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Did he score or something? For all of Babs 'staying the course' ...did they win? I will always complain about Babs not playing his best offensive weapons more when losing...Zach is useful,but he isn't the best option for scoring...Is he?
he sure can go into a f***ing corner and get the puck to set up the offensive weapons.... wow you must not watch much hockey. you think everything is created from skill rather than hard work and winning puck battles wow did you watch the blues play last year?

Reactions: baton elevated

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Please, taking bad point shots and staying outside the high danger areas isn't playing really well

How about getting into the greasy areas and not defending like your complete morons instead?
I think much of what Babs says is tongue and cheek. He is purposely being Glib. What do you expect him to say this isn't what he signed up for. Get him the players to play his brand of hockey or fire him, it's that simple.
Babs "I thought we played well for a 1 armed man, imagine how we would do if Dubie got us some 2 armed men"
As everyone on these boards keeps repeating, the two philosophies are in conflict. Either Dubas goes or Babs goes .
Management is like the players.......no balls.

Reactions: Erdinger

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Two positives I took from this game:

It was good to see the coaching staff staying the course of the PP. Just because something stopped working ago doesn't mean you should change it.

It was good to see the coach make due on his promise of not playing Matthews as much as he did the other game. Less than 17 minutes a game seems about right to ensure he is well rested to play in the World Championship after the Leafs' miss the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad