GDT: Leafs @Jets. 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Marner isn't above getting a kick in the ass. He wasn't the only one guilty, but said he "wasn't engaged" the first game against CBJ last year
Yeah but he was one of the biggest parts of the teams success this year. If he wants to be part of the final game he shouldn’t be deprived of that. It just gives me mild Spezza/Babcock vibes; there were a ton of people at that time that felt Spezza must have not earned his spot and Babcock’s decision on the season open was fine. As time went by more people realized how rigid and self defeating that Babcock episode was. Just want to be hopeful that Keefe isn’t exhibiting a hidden control freak.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner isn't above getting a kick in the ass. He wasn't the only one guilty, but said he "wasn't engaged" the first game against CBJ last year

Ugh, don't remind me, I'm trying to forget that ever happened. But then again, maybe a little reminder to Mitchy wouldn't hurt. He damn well better be prepared to be 100% engaged in every way possible when the festivities kick off this time around.

Reactions: Lumberg

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Am I being unclear?

Beating the coyotes in round 1 is an absolutely meaningless accomplished that is neither something that brings joy nor something that tells us anything about their current playoff ability.
It is a bigger accomplishment than the leafs have done in the playoffs so far the last like 15-20 years. That was the root of the argument, you seem to think getting beaten by teams like Washington/Boston/Columbus is better than winning a playoff series against a 'bad' team. I do not agree for the reasons I have stated included how important it is for the mentality of the team to have success. I doubt Matthews/Marner etc viewed getting bounced in the 1st round 4 years in a row as success

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It is a bigger accomplishment than the leafs have done in the playoffs so far the last like 15-20 years.

It truly isn't though.

And beating the Habs this year wouldn't be a better accomplishment than taking the Bruins and Caps to the limit those times, either.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is a bigger accomplishment than the leafs have done in the playoffs so far the last like 15-20 years. That was the root of the argument, you seem to think getting beaten by teams like Washington/Boston/Columbus is better than winning a playoff series against a 'bad' team. I do not agree for the reasons I have stated included how important it is for the mentality of the team to have success. I doubt Matthews/Marner etc viewed getting bounced in the 1st round 4 years in a row as success

The "played well despite losing" narrative was fine against WSH and OK against Boston the first time around. The second time against Boston it didn't fly any more, especially the way we were thoroughly dominated in game 7 and for anyone to continue with this narrative after losing to CLB is just pathetic.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It truly isn't though.

And beating the Habs this year wouldn't be a better accomplishment than taking the Bruins and Caps to the limit those times, either.
It would be a bigger accomplishment for the morale of the team. When you play professional sports and get beaten 4 times in a row in R1, that will chip away at your confidence. It will get you second guessing yourself. It would have been far better for the team if the leafs beat some 'bad' team than pushing Washington or Boston to the limit.

That is my last post on the matter in this thread though. Can continue some other thread or PM, either is fine with me

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The "played well despite losing" narrative was fine against WSH and OK against Boston the first time around. The second time against Boston it didn't fly any more, especially the way we were thoroughly dominated in game 7 and for anyone to continue with this narrative after losing to CLB is just pathetic.
Ya agreed. I really was impressed with the first 2 series (WSH and Boston). From last place to playing well against Presidents trophy was impressive but at some point you just have to win for it to matter. This is the final chance the leafs have. If they get beaten round 1 there is something wrong with the core. I don't think they will, really think the leafs win in 6 games or less.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To be honest Im glad Marner is not playing tonight. Matthews, Nylander and Tavares should be rested as well. Also Campbell, Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin and Holl. Everyone else can play.

Start Andersen in net. Let Lilly, Sandin, Engvall, Brooks, Anderson, Marincin, Hutton all play.

There isnt a rule like Basketball that you cannot rest players in NHL.

This game means nothing to the Leafs and the last thing they need is to get more injuries prior to when it counts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To be honest Im glad Marner is not playing tonight. Matthews, Nylander and Tavares should be rested as well. Also Campbell, Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin and Holl. Everyone else can play.

Start Andersen in net. Let Lilly, Sandin, Engvall, Brooks, Anderson, Marincin, Hutton all play.

This game means nothing to the Leafs and the last thing they need is to get more injuries prior to when it counts.
Da way I heard it explained is it was a CAP issue .. there is no CAP left to play lily, sandin, marty etc .. so lets hope a lot of guys just sit on bench with minimal use .. really stupid to take a big hit tonight to make a play .. a 3-3 snooze fest would be great .. with last OT to whoever makes best skilled play

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'd agree with this if the game meant nothing but for 3rd round seeding, getting a point is actually very important.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Am I being unclear?

Beating the coyotes in round 1 is an absolutely meaningless accomplished that is neither something that brings joy nor something that tells us anything about their current playoff ability.
Meaningless? It doesnt matter who you beat in the playoffs, its never meaningless, keep digging that hole deeper and deeper. For once i'd love to be on the other side of the handshakes that send us off to the next round and not to the ****in golf course.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Any word on if the Jets are resting anyone? I know Maurice said there’s a gentlemen’s agreement to not injure which is good, but they’ve got one of the dirtier players on their team in PLD. Hope he’s sitting out tonight.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I'd agree with this if the game meant nothing but for 3rd round seeding, getting a point is actually very important.
I think with the salary cap implications we can't do that. Even if Marner "sits", his cap doesn't go away for one game. I think with the space we have it's only enough to activate one guy. Unless there was an injury and someone goes on injured reserve, or someone else sent to the taxi squad, who may likely have to clear waivers (I have a feeling Marner would get claimed lol).

I think that's how it works but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It truly isn't though.

Winning a singular round, doesn't satisfy what this team should be accomplishing, but winning a round, is an improvement over winning nothing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think with the salary cap implications we can't do that. Even if Marner "sits", his cap doesn't go away for one game. I think with the space we have it's only enough to activate one guy. Unless there was an injury and someone goes on injured reserve, or someone else sent to the taxi squad, who may likely have to clear waivers (I have a feeling Marner would get claimed lol).

I think that's how it works but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't saying we can or can't do anything, I was just saying that tonight's game isn't meaningless.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I wasn't saying we can or can't do anything, I was just saying that tonight's game isn't meaningless.
Agreed sorry I actually meant to reply to the same post you responded too, my bad. Yes this isn't meaningless at all could have huge implications further in the playoffs. Every point counts.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't know about this game, but Leafs sure played last game like it was meaningless. Nobody seemed to care about shit.

True. As someone else pointed out earlier, WPG really has nothing to play for tonight so hopefully they'll play like it. And hopefully our boys will be reminded that while perhaps not crucial, a point tonight would be very meaningful.

Agreed sorry I actually meant to reply to the same post you responded too, my bad. Yes this isn't meaningless at all could have huge implications further in the playoffs. Every point counts.

No worries. :)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
I saw Marner wince at one point last game. I’m guessing his sitting is to give him a rest/maintenance. His play doesn’t warrant a benching.
He got hit into the open door on the bench by # 7, probably why #71 on the Leafs went after him later.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad