Proposal: Leafs JAY BOUWMEESTER

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Where is Winnipeg?
Pits?

Literally the next two behind lol I was only listing 5. I think they've been leapfrogged by St. Louis, and I think Nashville would have probably already been there if Rinne didn't lay an egg in the playoffs. You could easily make an argument for Boston to be in the top 5 too.

There is a lot of damn good hockey teams in the NHL and a few that could really make some noise if a lot goes right for them, Dallas and Colorado are my two top picks there.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I would say this is untrue simply because of goaltending. Allen is such a huge question mark but if he's at his best then Blues are probably top 3 contenders.

Personally I'd put current odds at
1. Nashville
2. Tampa
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. St. Louis/Vegas

Which is why the OPs comment is so absurd. Love the avatar BTW.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I would take a second for him, but not sure the Blues would, also not sure he waives his NMC unless the Blues are out of the playoffs around the trade deadline. Hes overpaid to be a the Blues 5th/6th best Dman but he is not as bad as some Blues fans will say he is. He is so dull (Not Flashy) that some fans think he is not doing anything ever. He also has the slowest slap shot I have ever seen out of a NHL player EVER.

Nah, Derek Stepan. His shot is baby shit soft.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
What are your needs/trade expectations?

We really don't have any needs right now. We're set on forwards. If we traded Bouwmeester we would probably need another depth LH d-man to replace him as I'm not sure we have another prospect ready to step in. Jake Walman maybe?

I just know that if we have to bring up Chris Butler again we might as well throw in the towel because that guy is one of the worst d-men I've seen play in the NHL, and trading Bouwmeester means that an injury to a LH d-man would make that scenario very likely.

Our current LH depth is

1st/2nd pair - Edmundson / Dunn

3rd pairing - Bouwmeester / Gunnarsson

So it would have to be a cheap LH d-man + draft pick or whatever.

Reactions: BHD

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
We really don't have any needs right now. We're set on forwards. If we traded Bouwmeester we would probably need another depth LH d-man to replace him as I'm not sure we have another prospect ready to step in. Jake Walman maybe?

I just know that if we have to bring up Chris Butler again we might as well throw in the towel because that guy is one of the worst d-men I've seen play in the NHL, and trading Bouwmeester means that an injury to a LH d-man would make that scenario very likely.

Our current LH depth is

1st/2nd pair - Edmundson / Dunn

3rd pairing - Bouwmeester / Gunnarsson

So it would have to be a cheap LH d-man + draft pick or whatever.

Any interest in Gardiner for Bouwmeester+?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t see how the current J.Bo even gets into Leafs management’s eyes. They have been setting a trend for puck movers and mobile defensemen who can run up and down with ease. J.Bo just don’t fit the bill.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don’t see how the current J.Bo even gets into Leafs management’s eyes. They have been setting a trend for puck movers and mobile defensemen who can run up and down with ease. J.Bo just don’t fit the bill.
:huh: that's kind of his thing though. Injuries took their toll past year, but JBO could fly around the ice with ease

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
You know your team better than I do. What would you suggest?
Tough to say without knowing how the leafs value/regard Gardiner.

I happen to like Gardiner quite a bit and think playing in our defensive structure with a partner like Parayko could cover up for a lot of his defensive lapses and allow him to open up offensively. He'd be a great fit and welcome addition IMO...problem is cost.

Given his age and contract status, I don't think the Blues would be able to retain Gardiner long term. We have Schenn, Pietrangelo, and Edmundson to re-sign soon, and significant money already invested in Tarasenko, Schwartz, ROR, Parayko, Perron, Bozak, etc. Plus we have Dunn who is looking like a top-4 guy and LHD prospects like Mikkola and Walman who hope to be pushing for a spot soon.

In short, I wouldn't be willing to add a whole lot to Bouwmeester. Take what you think Gardiner's worth as a rental at the TDL (late 1st + B prospect?) and subtract around a 2nd round pick's worth of value...that's probably a good starting point.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Tough to say without knowing how the leafs value/regard Gardiner.

I happen to like Gardiner quite a bit and think playing in our defensive structure with a partner like Parayko could cover up for a lot of his defensive lapses and allow him to open up offensively. He'd be a great fit and welcome addition IMO...problem is cost.

Given his age and contract status, I don't think the Blues would be able to retain Gardiner long term. We have Schenn, Pietrangelo, and Edmundson to re-sign soon, and significant money already invested in Tarasenko, Schwartz, ROR, Parayko, Perron, Bozak, etc. Plus we have Dunn who is looking like a top-4 guy and LHD prospects like Mikkola and Walman who hope to be pushing for a spot soon.

In short, I wouldn't be willing to add a whole lot to Bouwmeester. Take what you think Gardiner's worth as a rental at the TDL (late 1st + B prospect) and subtract around a 2nd round pick's worth of value...that's probably a good starting point.

Is Thompson too much to ask for?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
:huh: that's kind of his thing though. Injuries took their toll past year, but JBO could fly around the ice with ease

We still have to see if he can return to his form coming this season, at this point he still has lost some steps. If he can go back to normal then we can see some interest in trading for him at the deadline but as off now he is just full of question marks.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We still have to see if he can return to his form coming this season, at this point he still has lost some steps. If he can go back to normal then we can see some interest in trading for him at the deadline but as off now he is just full of question marks.
No doubt, maybe I just took your post wrong. Made it seem like Jbo was a stay at home dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->