Proposal: Leafs JAY BOUWMEESTER

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I would say this is untrue simply because of goaltending. Allen is such a huge question mark but if he's at his best then Blues are probably top 3 contenders.

Personally I'd put current odds at
1. Nashville
2. Tampa
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. St. Louis/Vegas
Allen seems to suck every reg season and then plays amazing during the playoffs so idk

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I would say this is untrue simply because of goaltending. Allen is such a huge question mark but if he's at his best then Blues are probably top 3 contenders.

Personally I'd put current odds at
1. Nashville
2. Tampa
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. St. Louis/Vegas

Where is Winnipeg?
Pits?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Really what do the blues want for him ? He is prob gone next year I can't see him costing much
He is likely worth more on the ice as a steadying presence/mentor than anything we could get for him in a trade. If healthy, (admittedly a big if), he will likely be our 3rd pairing LD. Sorry if I was a bit sharp in my last post. I just think that the Blues would rather hang on to his veteran experience for the playoffs than gain a late draft pick and a few months of cap relief.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He is likely worth more on the ice as a steadying presence/mentor than anything we could get for him in a trade. If healthy, (admittedly a big if), he will likely be our 3rd pairing LD. Sorry if I was a bit sharp in my last post. I just think that the Blues would rather hang on to his veteran experience for the playoffs than gain a late draft pick and a few months of cap relief.
It will be a deadline deal if he is dealt so if they are making it he will stay if they are out he will go

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Still if we keep both Gunnar and Jbo at roster, you want to keep healthy scratch one of them? I don't believe Dunn is going to be out of top6 how good he performed last season. Schmaltz could be answer to our 2nd powerplay unite. Bortuzzo has showed he's capable of playing well. We've positive problem at d-core and when you add there Mikkola/Walman then we've 10 dmens who could play open night roster.

Code:
Ed - Pietro
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnar/Jbo - Bortuzzo/Schmaltz
Mikkola/Walman

If kids shows they can play NHL level I believe Army wouldn't think of trade at mid-season and re-evaluate things. Trade one of Jbo or Gunnar <-> bottom 6 forward for example if IF there is need for it. Kids could be that injury slump secure for our d-core.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Rielly and Dermott are two-way D, both can kill penalties, And our PK is top 10 as is, the PK isn't our problem.
They had a 66.7% PK against the Bruins in that 7 game series and their PK last year was led by an aging (and by the end of the year, very worn down) Ron Hainsey (318:29 shorthanded TOI, which was far and away the most on the team... indeed Ron Hainsey played the most shorthanded time of any player in the entire NHL!). Rielly by contrast was only 7th overall in PK time at 86:43 in (4th among defenseman in total time behind Zaitsev (176:44), who only played 60 games and the now departed Roman Polak (135:16), who only played 54 games. Dermott (37 games played) killed only 14:17 minutes on the penalty kill... or about 22 seconds per night. In short, neither Rielly or Dermott kill much penalty time.

There is no getting around the fact that this team has some big challenges on the PK facing it this year; it is heavily overreliant on a 37 year old defenseman and it just lost two of its top 6 penalty killers as FAs.
A defenseman who can kill penalties would be a huge add for this team.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
They had a 66.7% PK against the Bruins in that 7 game series and their PK last year was led by an aging (and by the end of the year, very worn down) Ron Hainsey (318:29 shorthanded TOI, which was far and away the most on the team... indeed Ron Hainsey played the most shorthanded time of any player in the entire NHL!). Rielly by contrast was only 7th overall in PK time at 86:43 in (4th among defenseman in total time behind Zaitsev (176:44), who only played 60 games and the now departed Roman Polak (135:16), who only played 54 games. Dermott (37 games played) killed only 14:17 minutes on the penalty kill... or about 22 seconds per night. In short, neither Rielly or Dermott kill much penalty time.

There is no getting around the fact that this team has some big challenges on the PK facing it this year; it is heavily overreliant on a 37 year old defenseman and it just lost two of its top 6 penalty killers as FAs.
A defenseman who can kill penalties would be a huge add for this team.

Dermott was a rookie, he is fully capable of killing penalties and I would imagine that’s the direction Babcock will take with him.

Rielly, for the first time, was given proper PP minutes, the bump in PP time came at the cost of PK time which had been much greater the year before (why did it come at the cost of other minutes? Because our sports science department believes in limiting ice-time as a way of injury prevention and Babcock is sold on the idea). In addition Babcock has his favourites for certain positions and rolls, Polak was one for the PK, obviously Hainsey who he rode to a nub was another for the PK. This also wasn’t our first year in the top 10 in that statistic.

So yes, Rielly can kill penalties effectively, and with Dermott I imagine he’ll be a natural. The effectiveness of special teams ebbs and flows, so hearing it was dipping isn’t much of a concern, especially when considering how rigid Babcock is with his lineup when he likes something #1LWHyman.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
At some point this season I expect one of Bouwmeester or Gunnarson will be moved for a pick/picks however with both of those players coming off surgeries I'm sure the Blues would prefer to keep their defensive depth till they see how both those guys look and other teams would need to see them playing effectively to even want them in the 1st place. That gives them time to assess where Walman and Mikkola are at in their development and that would be another factor that would weigh into any decision to trade a vet dman.

Reactions: simon IC

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
J-Bo had a rough season last year. As others have pointed out he had a couple of injuries that didn't really healed properly causing him to play at an underwhelming level. After a full summer of recovery I expect he should be able to play on a higher level than he was capable to last year.

Now, don't get me wrong, he isn't an All Star quality defenseman anymore, but he will still be a valued and experienced defender. I expect Bouwmeester to start next season on the Blues second pairing next to Parayko (and Dunn on the third pairing, while also logging minutes on PP1). So personally I'm not fond of letting him go. HOWEVER: you should always look out for ways to improve your team. IF another team is willing to pay a 2nd round pick, or a decent prospect for him we should at least consider it. With Gunnarsson we have an adequate LD that can take his spot in the team while we also have enough depth with guys like Mikkola and Walman.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
J-Bo had a rough season last year. As others have pointed out he had a couple of injuries that didn't really healed properly causing him to play at an underwhelming level. After a full summer of recovery I expect he should be able to play on a higher level than he was capable to last year.

Now, don't get me wrong, he isn't an All Star quality defenseman anymore, but he will still be a valued and experienced defender. I expect Bouwmeester to start next season on the Blues second pairing next to Parayko (and Dunn on the third pairing, while also logging minutes on PP1). So personally I'm not fond of letting him go. HOWEVER: you should always look out for ways to improve your team. IF another team is willing to pay a 2nd round pick, or a decent prospect for him we should at least consider it. With Gunnarsson we have an adequate LD that can take his spot in the team while we also have enough depth with guys like Mikkola and Walman.
I agree to an extent. It depends on the prospect or pick. The point I was trying to make before was I think that a healthy Bouwmeester is worth more to the team, even as a 7th D, than a late 2nd. Particularly for a playoff run. Sure, if we can get a 1st, or an early 2nd at the TDL or mid-season, then, by all means, do it. It all depends on the return. I would rather trade Gunnarsson for picks and hang on to JBo, given the choice.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Still if we keep both Gunnar and Jbo at roster, you want to keep healthy scratch one of them? I don't believe Dunn is going to be out of top6 how good he performed last season. Schmaltz could be answer to our 2nd powerplay unite. Bortuzzo has showed he's capable of playing well. We've positive problem at d-core and when you add there Mikkola/Walman then we've 10 dmens who could play open night roster.

Code:
Ed - Pietro
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnar/Jbo - Bortuzzo/Schmaltz
Mikkola/Walman

If kids shows they can play NHL level I believe Army wouldn't think of trade at mid-season and re-evaluate things. Trade one of Jbo or Gunnar <-> bottom 6 forward for example if IF there is need for it. Kids could be that injury slump secure for our d-core.

You forgot rienke who I would put above mikkola, Walman, and schmaltz.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
So JBo shoots left, not right.

So a LD? To play behind Mo, Gards and Dermott?

Pretty big fail here.

Why is it still open?

Because there hasn’t been any liberal rage yet in here. But give it another 3 pages and it surely will come.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
What would it take for the Leafs to get Bouwmeester?

Boumeester is 35 but can still skate and shoots right.

Jay only has 1 year left on his contract-a cap hit of 5.4 million.

A change of scenery, new coaching staff & a chance to win the cup might help his game.

What would it take to get him in a leaf uniform?

Wow, another arrogant leafs fan. So he has no chance of winning a Cup in St. Louis?

Most Blues fans wouldn't mind getting rid of Bouwmeester (our D group must be deeper and more talented than those Cup contending leafs), I doubt he would waive his no trade to go to Toronto. He's an introverted guy who doesn't like attention. Highly doubt he'd want to relocate to the pressure of playing in Toronto.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Better chance with the leafs brah

Perhaps, but could be because the western conference is more difficult to play in. There are always a couple eastern teams that would not make the playoffs if they were in the more competitive west. There, I said it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Wow, another arrogant leafs fan. So he has no chance of winning a Cup in St. Louis?

Most Blues fans wouldn't mind getting rid of Bouwmeester (our D group must be deeper and more talented than those Cup contending leafs), I doubt he would waive his no trade to go to Toronto. He's an introverted guy who doesn't like attention. Highly doubt he'd want to relocate to the pressure of playing in Toronto.

Maybe he would be interested in playing for Babcock again. Bouwmeester won an Olympic Gold in 2014 with Babcock as his coach, and 2004 World Championship Gold with Babcock as well.

And maybe he would be happy to be a bit higher on the depth chart in Toronto, too. He would slot in on his off side (right) with Hainsey and Zaitsev. He's more likely to get 20+ minutes here than in St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad