Proposal: Leafs JAY BOUWMEESTER

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Bouwmeester is left handed, 34, and has just as good a chance at the cup with the Blues as he does with the leafs. That being said I personally would take picks and/or prospects for him to clear the way for some other players and allow for deadline flexibility with regards to cap space. We don't need to move him though in case anyone thinks that is the case and wants us to pay to move him.

I would say this is untrue simply because of goaltending. Allen is such a huge question mark but if he's at his best then Blues are probably top 3 contenders.

Personally I'd put current odds at
1. Nashville
2. Tampa
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. St. Louis/Vegas

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I just don't see J-Bo wanting to go to a crazed market like Toronto personally. That being said, his mobility has slowed yes, but it's hard to interpret whether that was per injury or per age last year. The year before though he was still a great minute eater and pker. He just has almost no offensive ability left in the tank unless you have a coach that really loves 30mph slapshots that go about 4 feet wide most of the time.

I would imagine that either Bouwmeester or Gunnar could be had for a pick only or if there is a 1 year salary that is needed to almost even out I'm sure that wouldn't be an issue but I wouldn't consider it a plus to lower the pick nor would I consider any term more than the year that JBO has left. We don't necessarily need to trade either one of them, although it would be nice to be able to re-sign Schmaltz sooner rather than later.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
That being said, playing Old Man Hainsey for nearly the entire 2 minute penalty kill could start to become a problem

That's Babcock though, he could spread the minutes around more. And with Polak gone he pretty much has to.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Lots of ifs here, if stl is out, if we have an injury near the deadline most id pay is a 2nd/ lesser prospect if hes the only one aval. Jaybo from 07-2014 can play on my team any day

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That's Babcock though, he could spread the minutes around more. And with Polak gone he pretty much has to.

Which is kind of my point, they could use a better shutdown guy than Polak to soak up some of those minutes, and J-Bo would be a solid upgrade on half the current top six (if Zaitsev sucks again)

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Flames fans please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe J-Bo played primarily on the right side in Calgary despite shooting left.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Better chance with the leafs brah

Nah brah...path through the West is the clearest it's been in years. Leafs have a few more serious competitors in the EC than what the Blues will face in the WC imo.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
He's very overpaid, has declined rapidly and at this point is more suited in a 6/7 role. Has not been very useful in a few years now.

Based on the signings he's made for NYI, I'd wager if Lou was still GM it's a possibility. But Dubas is an analytics guy and Bouwmeester is analytically one of the worst defenseman in the league (I don't think the numbers lie).

He can't really keep up with the big dogs of the NHL but he'd be a perfect vet for a rebuilding team to fill a spot. But the Leafs are loading up. For the Leafs sake there's a great chance a guy like Dermott, Holl or one of the other defenseman in their system would be more useful.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I actually think this idea is more realistic than most proposals by leaf fans for d-man, if it's just a 2nd.

All that aside, I would not at all be surprised to see the leafs enter the season with the group they have. Dubas on multiple occasions has stated he rates our defense higher than most.

If Dermott continues on playing well and developing, Zaitsev proves last year was a sophomore slump, Hainesy gets help on the pk, and one of the kids can turn heads at camp this is a solid, not great d core.

Now the chances of all those coming together are unlikely, but I think we'll see them go with what they have until closer to the deadline. That's when I see them upgrade or bring someone in, and will most likely be a rental.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hasn't Bouwmeester lost a couple (or quite a few) steps?

yes. he is a shell of his former self. leafs arent gonna be giving up their assets for a guy who isnt even a top 4 dman anymore

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I actually think this idea is more realistic than most proposals by leaf fans for d-man, if it's just a 2nd.

All that aside, I would not at all be surprised to see the leafs enter the season with the group they have. Dubas on multiple occasions has stated he rates our defense higher than most.

If Dermott continues on playing well and developing, Zaitsev proves last year was a sophomore slump, Hainesy gets help on the pk, and one of the kids can turn heads at camp this is a solid, not great d core.

Now the chances of all those coming together are unlikely, but I think we'll see them go with what they have until closer to the deadline. That's when I see them upgrade or bring someone in, and will most likely be a rental.

if jay bo was still good, blues fans wouldnt be so happy to take a 2nd for him

from the leafs perspective, we wouldnt take a 2nd for rielly,dermott, or gardiner,
Hainsey we would and zaitsev we could just to dump the contract

gives you an idea of how the blues fan feel about jaybo (not a lot, he isnt very good anymore)

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

from the leafs perspective, we wouldnt take a 2nd for rielly,dermott, or gardiner,

gives you an idea of how the blues fan feel about jaybo (not a lot, he isnt very good anymore)

Or maybe it's because of the depth the Blues have on the left hand side? Edmundson and Dunn have established them as top 4 dmen and then you have Bouwmeester, Gunnarson who are NHL level players with Walman and Mikkola getting close to being NHL ready. Add to it that Bouwmeester has the highest salary (almost 3 million more than Gunnarson) and he becomes expendable.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Blues fans know JBo has value. They'd accept a 2nd for him simply because they're going to need the cap space next year to re-sign Pietrangelo & Schenn, and the Blues have a very competent and deep defense that could easily absorb the loss of a guy who is still a valuable veteran D-man. I actually think that if Bouwmeester comes back and proves that he's healthy he could return a 2nd+ at the deadline, and imagine he'd consider waiving to a team like Arizona or Florida if they'd be willing to give him a 2-3 year extension as a 2nd (and eventual 3rd)-pairing guy for leadership. He'd actually be a really great guy to mentor somebody like Dahlin or Heiskanen.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Hasn't Bouwmeester lost a couple (or quite a few) steps?
He fractured his ankle in camp last year, rushed back from that, and then suffered a hip injury in December that required surgery, but that he tried to play through anyway. They held him out of all practices, and it was bad enough that he still wasn't able to finish the year out even with injections and that very limited workload.

He basically played the entire season on one leg.

Blues fans generally seem to have moved on because Bouwmeester isn't very exciting and the Blues still have a good top 4 even without him, but I'd wager money that the Blues plan on starting him in their top 4 (if not on their top pairing) and have zero interest in trading him for a 2nd round pick.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

Not sure where in my post I stated J-bo was good. I said I thought the proposal was "realistic", as in if the Leafs add a blueliner it's probably not going to be a young top four dman with top pairing potential.

He is in the last year of his deal, Babcock knows him from the 2014 Olympics, low acquisition cost, and they will be asking him to do the simple things like play clean defense and get the puck to the forwards.

We are not acquiring a top 4, young, cost controlled RHD for anything short of an over payment. If you get stuck in that mindset, you end up trading a future Hart winner for Adam Larsson.

Teams a pretty much set for the most part going into the season. I can't see too many moves made until teams can evaluate what they have. Thus, I trust in if J-bo becomes expendable the Leafs will look at him if the cost is low or reasonable.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

He has been the whipping boy on our sub-forum for a while now. I think he is the most underrated and undervalued Blues player. More importantly, there is a big difference in what Blues fans think of JBo, and what Blues management thinks of him. (Thank goodness!) I almost guarantee the Blues will not trade him. Here's an interesting read: St. Louis Blues Jay Bouwmeester: Why Do Fans Hate You?

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
What would it take for the Leafs to get Bouwmeester?

Boumeester is 35 but can still skate and shoots right.

Jay only has 1 year left on his contract-a cap hit of 5.4 million.

A change of scenery, new coaching staff & a chance to win the cup might help his game.

What would it take to get him in a leaf uniform?
Prob get him close to free but I doubt he is the solution , leafs need to go hard for someone that isn't going to retire next year and is a top pairing dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad