Proposal: Leafs JAY BOUWMEESTER

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
What would it take for the Leafs to get Bouwmeester?

Boumeester is 35 but can still skate and shoots right.

Jay only has 1 year left on his contract-a cap hit of 5.4 million.

A change of scenery, new coaching staff & a chance to win the cup might help his game.

What would it take to get him in a leaf uniform?

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Bouwmeester is left handed, 34, and has just as good a chance at the cup with the Blues as he does with the leafs. That being said I personally would take picks and/or prospects for him to clear the way for some other players and allow for deadline flexibility with regards to cap space. We don't need to move him though in case anyone thinks that is the case and wants us to pay to move him.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I would take a second for him, but not sure the Blues would, also not sure he waives his NMC unless the Blues are out of the playoffs around the trade deadline. Hes overpaid to be a the Blues 5th/6th best Dman but he is not as bad as some Blues fans will say he is. He is so dull (Not Flashy) that some fans think he is not doing anything ever. He also has the slowest slap shot I have ever seen out of a NHL player EVER.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Bouwmeester is a lefty and we’d give him to ya for a 2nd rd pick
Does he have any experience playing on his off side (a la Ron Hainsey)? If so I would make that trade for the Leafs; he isnt the All-star he was but I think he can still be a second pairing guy in the right circumstances. The 1 year left on his contract is even a good thing because it means the Buds can let him walk next summer to sign Mattews and Marner.

But since the Blues seem to be going for it this year wouldn’t they rather keep him then get a pick for next years draft?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Does he have any experience playing on his off side (a la Ron Hainsey)? If so I would make that trade for the Leafs; he isnt the All-star he was but I think he can still be a second pairing guy in the right circumstances. The 1 year left on his contract is even a good thing because it means the Buds can let him walk next summer to sign Mattews and Marner.

But since the Blues seem to be going for it this year wouldn’t they rather keep him then get a pick for next years draft?

I don't recall ever watching him play the right side, but i'm sure he'd atleast be able to. He can kill penalties and as long as he's sheltered on the 2nd pair with somebody who can move a puck he'd be fine. That being said, can u guys afford his 5.4 mill cap hit?

He's a respected guy in the locker room though so i doubt the blues would be looking to move him if it's not in a deal for a roster upgrade etc.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Hasn't Bouwmeester lost a couple (or quite a few) steps?

yes, buuuut, he can still play well in a limited role, just don't expect him to ever get a shot on net and if he does, DON'T expect it to not be in the goalies chest or even create a rebound opportunity

Reactions: The Podium and BHD

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Hasn't Bouwmeester lost a couple (or quite a few) steps?

He has lost some foot speed but part of that was due to injury. Supposedly he is fully healed but who knows what he will look like coming back. The Blues don't need to move him and if he comes back in full form would be a good asset. At the same time I would be willing move him to give ice time to other players and allow us to add to the roster in February if we wanted to with the extra cap space. Essentially a team would need to make it worth our time to move him and with the risk of coming off of injury I don't see that happening. At worst he sits in the press box for the Blues this year, at best he comes back in full form and anchors our third pair and allows us a tone of line up flexibility.

Reactions: BHD

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He has lost some foot speed but part of that was due to injury. Supposedly he is fully healed but who knows what he will look like coming back. The Blues don't need to move him and if he comes back in full form would be a good asset. At the same time I would be willing move him to give ice time to other players and allow us to add to the roster in February if we wanted to with the extra cap space. Essentially a team would need to make it worth our time to move him and with the risk of coming off of injury I don't see that happening. At worst he sits in the press box for the Blues this year, at best he comes back in full form and anchors our third pair and allows us a tone of line up flexibility.

What are your needs/trade expectations?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
agree i think a second would be fine as long as mikola or Wallman show up at camp ready to be that third guy. Also gunnerson could fill that role as well. A 2nd seems fair.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I would take a second for him, but not sure the Blues would, also not sure he waives his NMC unless the Blues are out of the playoffs around the trade deadline. Hes overpaid to be a the Blues 5th/6th best Dman but he is not as bad as some Blues fans will say he is. He is so dull (Not Flashy) that some fans think he is not doing anything ever. He also has the slowest slap shot I have ever seen out of a NHL player EVER.
I heard a phrase back in the day about defenceman. If you don’t here much about them on the ice they are doing a good job.

Reactions: exporta

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Bouwmeester is left handed, 34, and has just as good a chance at the cup with the Blues as he does with the leafs. That being said I personally would take picks and/or prospects for him to clear the way for some other players and allow for deadline flexibility with regards to cap space. We don't need to move him though in case anyone thinks that is the case and wants us to pay to move him.
Better chance with the leafs brah

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What are your needs/trade expectations?
Pretty much just picks/prospects...primarily 2019 2nd given that we traded our 2019 1st. As others have stated, a little extra cap space would be nice to have (tho NOT a necessity). We don't really have any glaring current roster needs.

The Blues have very good depth on D, particularly LHD with Dunn and Edmundson looking like legit 2nd and 1st pairing dmen respectively. Add in Gunnarsson and young players pushing for roster spots in Mikkola/Walman, and it's getting a little crowded. Bortuzzo is also a RHD who can play on the left side very well.

The only reason for us to not simply keep Bouwmeester would be our depth at LHD, and if another team made it worth our while. When healthy, Bouwmeester is still a legit top 4 dman IMO.

EDIT: for the record, I do believe Bouwmeester played on the right side quite a lot earlier in his career in Florida/Calgary. He hasn't had to in St. Louis, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't now.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I don't recall ever watching him play the right side, but i'm sure he'd atleast be able to. He can kill penalties and as long as he's sheltered on the 2nd pair with somebody who can move a puck he'd be fine. That being said, can u guys afford his 5.4 mill cap hit?

He's a respected guy in the locker room though so i doubt the blues would be looking to move him if it's not in a deal for a roster upgrade etc.
For the one year on his contract, with the LTIR magic leafs managment can pull off, I think they can afford his cap hit and still resign Nylander. Killing penalties and defensively responsible play is what the Leafs need, not more puck moving offensive dmen (Rielly, Gardiner and now Dermott all provide that). Next season Bowmeester would have to go to make room for Matthews and Marner coming off their ELCs (likely along with Jake Gardiner as well as his contract ends at the end of this year). The hope would be (and it is a reasonable one given his pedigree and recent AHL play) that by the start of the 2019-2020 season Tim Liljegren will be ready for a full time NHL roster spot on the right side, and given he would be on an ELC his cap hit would be negligible.

Bowmeester really would only be needed for this year’s run. What roster parts the St Louis need? Toronto has excess forward depth and quality goaltending (Cal Pickard is apparently being shopped and he is at least a solid back-up guy) to offer if that 2nd round pick mentioned by a previous Blues fan isnt what the Blues want.

Last edited:
Reactions: cj19

Cotton

May 13, 2013
For the one year on his contract, with the LTIR magic leafs managment can pull off, I think they can afford his cap hit and still resign Nylander. Killing penalties and defensively responsible play is what the Leafs need, not more puck moving offensive dmen (Rielly, Gardiner and now Dermott all provide that). Next season Bowmeester would have to go to make room for Matthews and Marner coming off their ELCs (likely along with Jake Gardiner as well as his contract ends at the end of this year). The hope would be (and it is a reasonable one given his pedigree and recent AHL play) that by the start of the 2019-2020 season Tim Liljegren will be ready for a full time NHL roster spot on the right side, and given he would be on an ELC his cap hit would be negligible.

Bowmeester really would only be needed for this year’s run. What roster parts the St Louis need? Toronto has excess forward depth and quality goaltending (Cal Pickard is apparently being shopped and he is at least a solid back-up guy) to offer if that 2nd round pick mentioned by a previous Blues fan isnt what the Blues want.

Rielly and Dermott are two-way D, both can kill penalties, And our PK is top 10 as is, the PK isn't our problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad