LeBrun: Leafs interested in Wayne Simmonds

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ennis couldn’t play when the Leafs got him. They invest in the best medical and development staff in the business.
Sounds like you’re giving him bionic legs.
Every team has good medical staff etc. and has minor success stories like an Ennis. But at some point all players decline.

On Simmons, if he’s cheap on a one year deal it seems like a low risk signing.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Do I know my maple leafs. I was the one who started the whole Leafs want simmonds thread here and got so many answers. I know what we need and what they'll do. :clap: Simmonds is the realest thug out there and we'll get him for surely. He already said it at tsn:" I will make an impact immediately". I love life so hard :heart: This was exactly the type we needed to change it around and all that atmosphere.

Reactions: qqaz

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
That was a condition on the LA trade? Why not just attach a conditional 5th

2021 conditional round round pick (originally second round if Clifford re-signs with Maple Leafs or if Maple Leafs qualify for 2020 playoffs and Campbell wins 6 regular season games, else third round; lated revised to second round if Maple Leafs win 2020 qualifying round series and Campbell wins 2 games or if Clifford re-signs with Maple Leafs, else third round) (?-?)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If he goes to Toronto, hope he does well for himself but I think he's a shot fighter. Best-case scenario he's a 4th liner who can spot-duty PP as needed, but it's a game I think he can play.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Do I know my maple leafs. I was the one who started the whole Leafs want simmonds thread here and got so many answers. I know what we need and what they'll do. :clap: Simmonds is the realest thug out there and we'll get him for surely. He already said it at tsn:" I will make an impact immediately". I love life so hard :heart: This was exactly the type we needed to change it around and all that atmosphere.

Bet. Was your thread before Aug 26.

Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Reactions: Coachcorner

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
At the start of last season I was pumped to have him on the Devils.
That pulled feeling ended in a hurry .
Prime Simmonds was awesome and I am still a fan , but he is pretty well much cooked .
On an league min. deal he’d be nice to have to add some grit and leadership but that’s about it .

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Prime Simmonds was awesome and I am still a fan , but he is pretty well much cooked .
On an league min. deal he’d be nice to have to add some grit and leadership but that’s about it .
I think that's all we looking for. ~1m 1-2 years on the 4th line.

Easy to bury if he can't play.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland

Well I think we are all working under the assumption that a 1-2 million deal is all that he is going to get.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This has low 1M offer on it.
Unfortunately for WS he definitely missed out on his prime years bloated contract. (Though it's hard to be sympathetic for a millionaire... its truth)

At around 1M. Why not
Could add some insulation to our bottom 6

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
We know it is a Leafs tradition to sign these guys. Spezza, Lindros, Clark and then Clark for the 3rd time lol. I am sure I missed many many others.
Man, that Lindros signing broke my heart. Comes in, plays very well while Sundin is out, injures his wrist. Comes back, injures it again and that's all she wrote.

I really thought he'd be an effective middle six guy on a team that had a lot of grit and forward depth, just barely missing the playoffs. Shame.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is the kind of move that the Leafs need to make. Their biggest problems are forward depth, toughness and defense. Signing Simmonds is a step towards addressing two of those problems.
Definitely sire. And don't forget about those vocals. The leafs don't need anymore speed, we already have that. We need yellers and rumblers. Talkers who just make that sitdown, hard.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If he goes to Toronto, hope he does well for himself but I think he's a shot fighter. Best-case scenario he's a 4th liner who can spot-duty PP as needed, but it's a game I think he can play.
And that's what he will be paid like. Would be a solid addition and make the leafs a bit harder to play against

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
No thanks
I didn’t think Brooks looked that bad during his call up.Young, defensively responsible fourth liner that looked just as good as Simmonds(though maybe that’s not a complement to Brooks so much as a slight to Simmonds) that managed to accumulate a few assists during a short time frame.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Welcome signing! He isn't being brought in with the expectation of playing in the Top 9, if he outperforms expectations good for him.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Even at league minimum, I am not sold on this...

Worst case scenario he gets waived and mentors the Marlies.

Nothing to hate if he comes in on a league min or close to deal.

Leafs need to find a few hungry players,

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's debatable what Simmonds has left in the tank--but I can promise you--whatever it is, Simmonds will give it all, every night to the team that signs him. He would be perfect for a team like the Leafs--have been saying that for 2-3 years. He is not a top-6 player at this point. But in the "right role" he could be more effective overall for Toronto than Spezza was IMO. On a very team-friendly deal, Simmonds would look good in Leaf blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->