LeBrun: Leafs interested in Wayne Simmonds

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
It's too bad Wayne never got to cash in on a big contract. For dirt cheap on the 4th line and 2nd PP unit, why not.

Career earnings $33 mil. Even after taxes and agent he still shouldve pocketed $15 million free and clear.

And to my knowledge he doesnt have bad knees or anything like that. Hes just slowed down and is less effective...happens to everyone.

Wayne seems to have done well for himself and was legitimately an impact player for a few years. Maybe he can go the scout route or coach ? Guys like Berube and Tocchet had similar playstyles to Wayne and theyre decent-good coaches

Reactions: flyersNducks

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He would have to beat out two of:

Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner
Spezza, Robertson, Hyman, Johnsson, Mikheyev, Sandin

to get a spot on 2nd PP, so I am not sure I see it happening.
Fair point. But if you are signing Simmonds and not using him on the PP, then you are not using his best ability.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good team guy, and definitely (can be) harder to play against than some of the other Leaf players. I guess the question is whether he can still skate well enough to be hard to play against.

Reactions: qqaz

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Maroon Kerfoot Simmonds
Martin Engvall Perry
Spezza

All at 700k where applicable lol

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Slowing down and his play of recent years has been diminishing

Not sure why Leafs would be in on him. He doesn't provide even quality depth at this point IMO

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If the reports that they were offering Clifford between $1-2 million are true, I can't imagine they would go much higher than $1 million on Simmonds.

1 year, under $1.5 million, I'm probably fine with.

Reactions: BHD and qqaz

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
We know it is a Leafs tradition to sign these guys. Spezza, Lindros, Clark and then Clark for the 3rd time lol. I am sure I missed many many others.

spezza is still a strong player and one of the best 4th line Cs in the league. What are you talking about?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If you could've told Dubas of five years ago the shit that Dubas is saying now...

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This would have made a lot more sense five years ago when Simmonds was a good player.

I could totally see this being a case of the Leafs signing him, then cutting him shortly after.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
They're interested in Simmonds because there's not many alternatives in this years' FA class.

Clifford isn't coming back. Maroon would be nice, but who says he comes to Toronto if he has other offers? So Simmonds is the "toughest" guy they can reasonably add with the pittance they're willing to spend.

I'm fine with it, under a million. Maybe Barb Underhill can get his skating to improve slightly.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
A former good player way passed his prime, sounds like a Leafs player to me.
Don't think this would be about that, more about his physical presence, would be a great addition to the Leafs. depending on the cost. I could see him being a good role player on the 3rd/4th lines
hope they bring in little more grit. they get pushed around too easily

Reactions: Luckylarry

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
If the reports that they were offering Clifford between $1-2 million are true, I can't imagine they would go much higher than $1 million on Simmonds.

1 year, under $1.5 million, I'm probably fine with.

I think it was more the Leafs didn't want to give up the 2nd rd pick in 2021 for signing Clifford as part of the trade.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think it was more the Leafs didn't want to give up the 2nd rd pick in 2021 for signing Clifford as part of the trade.

That was a condition on the LA trade? Why not just attach a conditional 5th

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad