Speculation: Leafs interested in Hurricanes RHDs

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Over the last 10 games here are Johnsson's linemates for the 7 goals he has been on the ice for:

Johnsson-Lindholm-Gauthier = 2
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander = 1
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen = 1
Johnsson-Marleau-Nylander = 1
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander = 1
Johnsson-Gauthier-Hyman = 1

4 of his past 7 goals (majority) were scored with Nylander, Matthews, or Tavares on the ice. Spare us the high horse when the data is so easily obtained to show you are wrong.

Fantasy Hockey Line Production | Which NHL Lines Score the Most Goals | leftwinglock.com

Johnsson has also played 13-18 minutes in 18 of his past 25 games so I'm not sure where you are coming up with this 5-12 minute fairy tale.
Andreas Johnsson 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com
Wait, is Nylander good now?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Nizdizzle

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Over the last 10 games here are Johnsson's linemates for the 7 goals he has been on the ice for:

Johnsson-Lindholm-Gauthier = 2
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander = 1
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen = 1
Johnsson-Marleau-Nylander = 1
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander = 1
Johnsson-Gauthier-Hyman = 1

4 of his past 7 goals (majority) were scored with Nylander, Matthews, or Tavares on the ice. Spare us the high horse when the data is so easily obtained to show you are wrong.

Fantasy Hockey Line Production | Which NHL Lines Score the Most Goals | leftwinglock.com

Johnsson has also played 13-18 minutes in 18 of his past 25 games so I'm not sure where you are coming up with this 5-12 minute fairy tale.
Andreas Johnsson 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Hey, get out here with your "stats." It's also not like he's benefitted from an on ice SH% of 13.4 and a PDO of 107.4. Both those numbers are big, so therefore good and sustainable. His production will clearly translate better on the Canes.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You are aware Johnsson has 19pts in his last 25gp, almost entirely in a bottom 6 roll (meaning 5-12 minutes a game with no Matthews, Marner, Tavares)? That is in line with Carolinas hottest players right now over the same timespan.

In his last 35gp he has 29pts (12:52 TOI), as compared to Teravainen 36pts (17:54 TOI), Williams 27pts (17:15 TOI), Ferland 21pts (14:38 TOI) and Niederreiter who has 15pts in 15gp since joining Carolina (18:31 TOI).

And his most common linemates this season have been Connor Brown and Par Lindholm, which I'm sure you knew, because you said you liked him.

I'm very aware of what he's done as the Leafs are my 2nd team and I watch them often. I've also learned over the years that a guy that has some success on a small sample size on 1 team doesn't mean it will translate to another team in a different situation. Elias Lindholm is on pace for 95 points where he never had more than 45 in Carolina. Jeff Skinner had 24 goals last year and is on pace for 49 this year. Eric Staal had 54 points and 33 points (63 games) his last 2 seasons in Carolina and then suddenly in Minn he was a 40 goal scorer again. Toronto has scored 221 goals on the season and Carolina has scored 177. It matters.

Being "in a bottom 6 role" has pluses and minuses. He gets less ES TOI and not as good line-mates, like you said, but he gets much more favorable match-ups as well as teams are focused on Tavares, Mattehws, Marner first and foremost. Maybe Johnsson would have the same success if he was inserted into the Canes line-up as he is having in Toronto, but people assuming that will automatically happen are making a flawed assumption IMO, that's my point.

And the "no time with Matthews, Marner, Taveres" isn't quite accurate. AT ES (per Natural Stat Trick), of his 14ES Goals and 13 ES Assists:
- He's got 4G, 4A with Matthews.
- He's got 2G, 6A with Tavares
- He's got 1G, 4A with Marner

Like I said, I'd like to have him on Carolina, but personally, if he came to Carolina, I'd keep my expectations in check until I saw more.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not even a leaf fan I just found it hilarious how arrogant you are about your team. Johnsson would legit be your 2nd best winger and you make stupid claims like he would be on your 4th line.

How on earth have you arrived the conclusion the Johnsson would be the second best winger in Carolina?

In what world would any coach slot him in ahead of Teuvo, Ferland, Nino or Justin Williams? What GM in the league would prefer Johnsson to Svechnikov?

It's just a ridiculous thing to say.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Forslund nonchalantly said something interesting during the game last night. Ferland went to the room twice in the 1st. John said something along the lines of, 'you never know. It's the time of year and there are a lot of rumors for him to be back in the room.'

Now, he did come back and play and I do not recall hearing the reason he left. I only share because I would expect a John Forslund to have a lot more insight into things the team is exploring.

As for AJ, he is not a 4th liner on our team. I could see him and Svech getting bounced between 2nd/3rd to find the best chemistry. As others have stated though, RW and C are more pressing for us.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Since Nino joined Carolina he is averaging exactly 1PPG. 15 games, 9 goals, 6 assists. Very small sample size obviously. Niederreiter is also much bigger and more physical, which Carolina considers maybe a better fit alongside Aho.

All good and well but you haven't seen Johnsson especially the last month. On any case we are 2.5 days away so we will see. If nothing maybe in the summer

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Trading Montour would be a mistake... but I feel like the team likes Manson/Fowler/Lindholm a lot... and they seem like the change if/when will be Montour.... but I have to imagine wed get more for Montour from other teams than what the leafs can offer.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Trading Montour would be a mistake... but I feel like the team likes Manson/Fowler/Lindholm a lot... and they seem like the change if/when will be Montour.... but I have to imagine wed get more for Montour from other teams than what the leafs can offer.

Definitely. Teams will move a first for Montour. Which Toronto doesn’t have. If Muzzin can pull a first + Montour should be getting a haul.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Toronto has available pieces with more value than their mid-20s first.

This teams rebuilding. Especially if Miller is being traded. Ducks should be looking at picks. And if this Silfverberg contract is true? Ducks will have very little cap room to add more players.

I would be shopping around before taking Leafs offers. Everyone can use a Montour on there team.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This teams rebuilding. Especially if Miller is being traded. Ducks should be looking at picks. And if this Silfverberg contract is true? Ducks will have very little cap room to add more players.

I would be shopping around before taking Leafs offers. Everyone can use a Montour on there team.
Do you just ignore what insiders with actual inside knowledge say? Miller is not being traded, we are not rebuilding, the Silf contract is true.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I would loooooove to see montour in a better system that uses his strengths. Dallas Eakins system in SD is precisely what I’m talking about.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Do you just ignore what insiders with actual inside knowledge say? Miller is not being traded, we are not rebuilding, the Silf contract is true.

People are saying Miller trade talks are still happening via twitter. Also Silf contract hasn’t been confirmed yet via TSN due to Tagging issues on salary cap.

So don’t believe everything you hear until it’s official. Which none of it is at the moment. Don’t be so naive.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Johnsson?
Bracco?
Brown?
Zaitsev?
A 2nd in 2021?

I believe Dubas took the top pieces off the table for a rental (liljgren, Sandin kap, Johnsson), but Montour nor the canes RD would be rentals (controlled beyond this season).

Last edited:
Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Eaves hasn’t been claimed either. If he doesn’t get claimed? That contract can’t go through. Ducks are over the cap. So we will see March first once a 10 percent bump in the Tagging room is allowed.

Lots of things can happen between now and then.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Do you actually think Johnsson is less valuable than pick #25?
Johnsson is a 24 year old rookie in his last ELC year. If he is so valuable, why did the TML hide him for two years in the AHL? Personally I would prefer any 1st round pick over Johnsson. I am not overly confident his point production is sustainable and he offers enough other elements to make him more than a bottom 6 winger. We heard basically the same about Brown. 20 goal scorer, can play up and down the line-up. And now? His 2.1 million are a cap casuality, plenty of TML fans are eager to trade.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I personally wouldn't trade Hamilton or Pesce for Kapanen, but there has been a lot of speculation that we like him (and the family connection certainly doesn't hurt). I like Kapanen a lot, but I am hoping we can land a more proven asset if we are dealing one of our two best RHDs.
For what it's worth, I would hope the Leafs can keep Kapanen at all cost. I used to be quite critical of him, but the guy won me over. He's got an excellent motor, a killer shot, is very responsible at both ends. He forechecks well, he hits, and he may be the fastest skater in the league (without the puck). Yeah, I think he's there with McDavid. The kid can play anywhere in the lineup and is an excellent part of Toronto's top six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->