Injury Report: Leafs Injury Thread: No Injuries To Report, Knock On Wood.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Interesting how on Saturday I remember one of the commentators mentioning Polak was a sight to behold in the weight room.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
I have been critical of both Robidas and Polak. And now they are injured for the rest of the season. I feel like I inadvertently voodoo cursed them or something. I don't like Phaneuf either (as a player) and he was out for awhile too.

Tyler Biggs*

Ah man he's a warrior hopefully we still have him next season!!!

ForSpareParts*

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Augello/Kessel-Says-Goodbye-Robidas-Nearly-Ready/120/70573

Veteran defenseman Stephane Robidas struggled with multiple injuries in his first season in Toronto and missed the last month of the regular season to have them taken care of. Five months later, after surgeries were performed to repair damage to his shoulder, a torn bicep muscle and remove a screw in his ankle from a previous injury, the 38-year-old has been given the go-ahead to resume on-ice work nearly a month prior to the opening of training camp.

“I was cleared a couple of days ago,” Robidas said to the Toronto Sun’s Lance Hornby at the MasterCard Center late last week. “To get on the ice, get a feel for everything and be on the ice with the guys in passing mode was good. It wasn’t a real game, but it was a good basis to get back into it and work on little details. Movement and everything was good today. I’m trying to work on little thinks like mobility. I’m feeling great and feeling healthy.”

The veteran blueliner was brought in to give the Leafs younger defensemen (Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner) the benefit of his NHL experience, but his physical ailments limited Robidas to just one goal and six assists in 52 games and raises questions if time is running out for the 15-year NHL veteran.

“I know I can still play. I have a passion for it, I still love it.” Robidas said. “Last year, from November until we shut it down, I played with the bad shoulder. I couldn’t sleep at night. I’m not looking for any excuses or anything like that, but I had started to feel (comfortable) and then the shoulder gave in.”

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Robidas is a bottom-pairing defender in every respect, and declining. He was a terrible signing then, and is looking positively rotten now. He needs to retire.

ovOLAyw.png

I understand the desire to collect paycheques, but it's outright dishonourable to hang on for longer than you know you can play.

GTFO, Robidas. You've made your money and had your time.

Chevboyarsky

Oct 23, 2014
Robidas is a bottom-pairing defender in every respect, and declining. He was a terrible signing then, and is looking positively rotten now. He needs to retire.

ovOLAyw.png

I understand the desire to collect paycheques, but it's outright dishonourable to hang on for longer than you know you can play.

I'm not sure I understand that graphic. He's being played like a bottom pairing defender (TOI%) and is producing like one (all the rest)?.

If so that just means he's performing to expectations (the way he's being utilized) no? Or do I have it wrong.

Anyway I thought he was a huge disappointment last year. I don't hold out for much better this year but if he can turn it around a bit he may be movable at the deadline as he's on an expiring deal (I think anyway...).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robidas probably makes too much as a bottom pairing guy and I think most people cringed at the term but it it what it is at this point. Thankfully we're not needing the dollars at this time and just have him expire when the contract is done. All indications are that he is a good teammate and does provide a good veteran presence for our young guys on the back end.

As long as he can at least provide stability on that 3rd pairing, that is as much as we can hope for at this point. Although he is probably standing in the way of a guy like Granberg who figures to be a 3rd pairing bottom pairing type (although he is currently injured).

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Time for Robidad to move on, Marancin and Hunwick need looks and it would be nice to see Harrington and Percy up as well

do us a solid bro and retire

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Time for Robidad to move on, Marancin and Hunwick need looks and it would be nice to see Harrington and Percy up as well

do us a solid bro and retire

robidas should be bought out

No cap benefit to buying him out as he's over 35 (if I recall correctly)

You would gain a roster spot back...although we've missed our buy out window(s) this off-season.

If he retires, his cap hit will count the next 2 years.

I wouldn't buy him out next off season because you're then stuck with the cap hit for 2 years instead of 3, and with us retaining on Kessel long term...seems like we have a lot of money counting against our cap on nothing. Believe we also have Gleason still.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Robidas still has value as a mentor the young D on the big team, and even the Marlies come the open of training camp. He's been through the battles, etc. Experience is invaluable for young kids. Can't have a team with virtually no vets - look how that has worked for Edmonton (esp their forwards). They need to soak it up. Yes, Polak and Phaneuf can provide this as well, but maybe not the extent that Robidas can????? Nobody knows what these guys are like in the room, etc.

I can't imagine all those injuries/surgeries - but that's why these guys get the big bucks. It's a commitment that comes with prices to pay. Guys like him will be in their 40s and aching like they are much older when they are retired.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Does he have a NMC? We'd save more cap room playing him on the Marlies during the last year of his deal as opposed to buying him out.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Doubt we need his cap space for the remainder of his deal so I have no problem keeping him around, even if he is overpaid.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is not a team in the league who would trade for him - too old, too expensive and is is useless on the ice.

Buy him out and just hire him as a coach if they like his mentorship in the dressing room.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
It's fine to keep him around as the 6th/7th D rotating with Hunwick. Yes he wasn't good last year but he is a veteran presence and winning is not a very big priority for this season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Utility 6/7 defenseman but also a good leader and mentor. Paid too much, too long but can't get rid of him, but he isn't useless. Least of our worries.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013

how are you blaming the guy for accepting the money rather than the person who gave him the contract?

If the Maple Leafs offered me $3 million to come play for the team, you think I would turn it down even though I know I'm terrible?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
how are you blaming the guy for accepting the money rather than the person who gave him the contract?

If the Maple Leafs offered me $3 million to come play for the team, you think I would turn it down even though I know I'm terrible?

Of course. For you, it would probably be worth the shame and embarrassment of being so bad on the NHL stage to earn $3m after earning $50-100k or whatever.

Hopefully for Robidas, and for professionals that already have lots of money, but also have a sense of pride, it wouldn't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->