TSN: Leafs in on Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He's got to be on the market first
Is anyone sure that he's definitely dealing Vatanen? Since he doesn't have to any more?

We always needed to deal a defenseman. All that's changed is that there is there is no longer a deadline. I mean, if negotiations with Fowler went poorly, I suppose it could move over to him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You would? Doesn't seem like something you'd do, you seem to havr a conservative nature based on last off season when as I recall you were somewhat against getting Andersen

The chance to get a genuine top 4 RD in the right age bracket is to good to pass up

If it doesn't cost one of the big three and will advance the team for the foreseeable future I believe you have to pull the trigger
Kapanen/Brown + 1st is an acceptable price to pay imo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The chance to get a genuine top 4 RD in the right age bracket is to good to pass up

If it doesn't cost one of the big three and will advance the team for the foreseeable future I believe you have to pull the trigger

Kapenan yes, Brown no, Brown scored 20 goals as a rookie, you move Kapenan you keep Brown

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

This is a very pragmatic stance and I commend you for it. Leafs could probably trade for other top-4 RD's too, but I wonder what the market (and price) would be like.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
nothing against vatanen but hes not really the type of dman Toronto needs. Right now the top three are Rielly Gardiner and zaitsev, all of which are more offensive minded. Toronto really needs a big stay at home guy that can clear the front of the net.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
nothing against vatanen but hes not really the type of dman Toronto needs. Right now the top three are Rielly Gardiner and zaitsev, all of which are more offensive minded. Toronto really needs a big stay at home guy that can clear the front of the net.

I mean I have been on the Karl Alzner train for a long time and I do think he will end up a Leaf if Vats doesn't but the fact is we need any top 4 d man we can get, the doesn't mean destroy the farm but there is a hole there

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

Listen to this leafs fan

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Now this is a post that makes 100% sense.

Until you look at a Tanev to Leafs thread and see what Leaf fans offer for that top pairing Dman. He then "becomes" a top 4 Dman in an attempt to lower his value and offer less.

Funny to watch.
yup lol.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
that is fantastic but that's the AHL Brown scored 20 in the NHL

Perhaps all one needs is the opportunity. Before Nylander destroyed the NHL this year, he destroyed the AHL last year. Had Brown had this emergence last year while Nylander was in the AHL you would still have to acknowledge that Nylander is more skilled and more likely to succeed even if Brown had a good rookie year. That's all I'm doing with Kapanen. Brown's older and has had more opportunity, that will change.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No I have it right Brown did score 20 at the NHL level you keep the 20 goal rookie if you have to make a choice

Sure, he did it at the nhl level but Kapanen is more skilled, by quite a bit actually. I really like Brown, he's very hard working and a glue guy, but he simply doesn't posses the tools of Kap.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sure, he did it at the nhl level but Kapanen is more skilled, by quite a bit actually. I really like Brown, he's very hard working and a glue guy, but he simply doesn't posses the tools of Kap.

Doesnt really matter im pretty sure kapanen would be the player of interest from anaheim perspective... hes just a better fit here

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kapenan yes, Brown no, Brown scored 20 goals as a rookie, you move Kapenan you keep Brown

Those two are fine players but until that hole in our top 4 gets filled were going nowhere and I'd happily part with either Kapanen or Brown not have to worry about the defense for the next half decade as the big three come into there prime and we're a genuine cup chance

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Those two are fine players but until that hole in our top 4 gets filled were going nowhere and I'd happily part with either Kapanen or Brown not have to worry about the defense for the next half decade as the big three come into there prime and we're a genuine cup chance

I agree, that's why as much as I like Kapenan and I do, I'd part with him because of the 2 I'd keep the 20 goal rookie in fact I think he has more in him.

Oct 18, 2011
I don't get all the Ducks fans talking about a "bidding war" on Vatanen.
With the following defenseman apparently available, I think the first one or two off the board will get the best prices and a few teams are going to get suck without a chair when the music stops.

Hammer
Tanev
Brodin
Dumba
Vataten
Hamonic
Seabrook
CDH

That's a lot of options for the buyers and how many teams have an open protection spot for a top-4 defenseman?
Didn't know McKenzie, LeBrun, and Friedman were ducks fans. Glad I've been enlightened.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Disastrous you mean. You do not expose 2 extra forwards to protect a guy like Carrick.

It depends on the situation. You're only losing 1 player so it's not like it would be 3 forwards you're losing to keep 1 defenceman(it's 3 not 2). If Carrick is worth more to the team than the 5th best expansion eligible D that's what they'd do.

For example if they traded JVR or Bozak in that or another deal. Then your 5th best forward needing protection is Martin, Leivo, Leipsic or Rychel. You'd want to keep Carrick over all of those. Or at least you should.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Didn't know McKenzie, LeBrun, and Friedman were ducks fans. Glad I've been enlightened.

That list is also pretty bad. 6 of 8 guys are on the same team as someone else on the list, and since you can only get one, that shrinks it to 5. It's pretty unclear how available Tanev and Hjalmarsson/Seabrook are and they definitely don't have to be dealt before Friday, and neither does Vatanen. If you're looking to capitalize on a team that you think has to move a guy, it's down to two teams, and Anaheim has shown that it's possible to get out of that. Gotta strike quick.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think the Leafs want Vatanen. This is smoke from Anaheim trying to create a bigger market for a player they pretty much HAVE TO TRADE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad