Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news...onour-indigenous-people-in-canada/c-283193738

I think what they are doing is a great thing. How about you people? Or is this not the right place to talk about politics, if it isn't I'll take it down. Also one last thing just like the Leafs are honouring indigenous people, they should also honour Irish slaves, Dresden victims, and Atomic bomb victims because there are lots of Irish, German, and Japanese people in Toronto.

As long as the thread doesn't go way off topic I personally dont see it being a problem, however the highlighted part I think is kinda stretching it. This indigenous thing is different as its done in Canada and from what I've heard they might have a tribute or something for Gord Downie who did the trip up north for The Secret Path.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news...onour-indigenous-people-in-canada/c-283193738

I think what they are doing is a great thing. How about you people? Or is this not the right place to talk about politics, if it isn't I'll take it down. Also one last thing just like the Leafs are honouring indigenous people, they should also honour Irish slaves, Dresden victims, and Atomic bomb victims because there are lots of Irish, German, and Japanese people in Toronto.

The last part is wacky. And that's coming from someone who's of an Irish background. Natives have suffered a hell of a lot more than others in this country. Also, what do those incidents with the irish,germans and Japanese have to do with this?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The last part is wacky. And that's coming from someone who's of an Irish background. Natives have suffered a hell of a lot more than others in this country. Also, what do those incidents with the irish,germans and Japanese have to do with this?

It doesn't have to do with it, I just feel that Irish, German, and Japanese should also be respected and honoured, or else people will feel there's a political agenda. I respect any form of awareness that wants a better world.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
As long as the thread doesn't go way off topic I personally dont see it being a problem, however the highlighted part I think is kinda stretching it. This indigenous thing is different as its done in Canada and from what I've heard they might have a tribute or something for Gord Downie who did the trip up north for The Secret Path.

Alright I just wanted some clarification. I'm not against what they're paying tribute to and I'm glad they're spreading awareness, but I want them to spread awareness on other subjects. I agree 100% that Native Americans suffered the most, but other races and ethnic groups have suffered as well, and being such a powerful and wealthy organization TMLSE can do more to spread awareness is all.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site

So you think they should honour every group that has been wronged by Canada? Is that what you're really saying or am I reading it wrong because if so you better go check into crazy town.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So you think they should honour every group that has been wronged by Canada? Is that what you're really saying or am I reading it wrong because if so you better go check into crazy town.

I'm not saying they should do it all in one night, but do it more frequently and doing what I bolded would be awesome.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Completely different. Not even remotely similar.

If you read the article and the explanation as to why they are doing this - it is to raise awareness about a current and on-going issue.

Shootings and suicide are a large and growing concern among many of the indigenous communities. MLSE raising awareness can help to aid in the problem and maybe make a difference.

How can you make a change in something that happened and ended decades ago? Besides, MLSE does a lot to raise remembrance of the wars.

To me, this is as much about creating awareness and educating Canadians about a real and terrible current issue as it is about honouring the Native people.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Completely different. Not even remotely similar.

If you read the article and the explanation as to why they are doing this - it is to raise awareness about a current and on-going issue.

Shootings and suicide are a large and growing concern among many of the indigenous communities. MLSE raising awareness can help to aid in the problem and maybe make a difference.

How can you make a change in something that happened and ended decades ago? Besides, MLSE does a lot to raise remembrance of the wars.

To me, this is as much about creating awareness and educating Canadians about a real and terrible current issue as it is about honouring the Native people.

Again I'm not against what they are doing in the article and I support them 100%, it's just I've never seen them raise awareness before and since they are doing it now, I just feel they should also raise awareness on the topics I brought up.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Again I'm not against what they are doing in the article and I support them 100%, it's just I've never seen them raise awareness before and since they are doing it now, I just feel they should also raise awareness on the topics I brought up.

Why? What is it going to help?

The main reason they're doing this is to try and make a change and help people currently in trouble.

Sounds to me like they're not even going deep into the history if native people's struggles.

They're focusing on the current problems of shootings, suicides and the lack of focus on missing native women.

I get what you're saying, but you'd have to honour and speak about a different victimized group of people every home game for the next decade if you wanted to do what you're saying and include everyone. It would eventually just start falling on deaf ears after a few games.

They likely choose this issue because it is a major current Canadian issue that they can actually have an impact on. Think of how many Canadians will be tuning in Tuesday to watch Edmonton vs Toronto. This will raise a lot of awareness and could make a major impact. Look at the conversation it has started already.

The MLSE Foundation's goal is not to honour past issues but create a positive change on current issues.

Look at the MLSE Foundation's Vision statement:

Changing lives through the spirit and the power of sports.

This event on Tuesday can actually change lives, not just honour them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Its a nice gesture by Leafs, however this is not the right board to discuss this.

10) Off-Topic Posting: Posts are to be on the topic of the board description where they're posted. Off Topic posts may be moved or closed at the moderators discretion. We do not allow homework threads. All political discussion is to be done on the Political Discussion Forum.

/Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad