Confirmed with Link: Leafs hire Spencer Carbery (AHL Hershey) as Assistant Coach

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Your an idiot if you think putting Tavares Matthews and Marner on one line while Nylander plays center for the 1st time in how many years? In an elimination game isn't questionable

Or not splitting up Matthews and Marner as they do absolutely nothing over an entire 7 game playoff round

I realize your a cheerleader for this lot but you should try a little critical thinking then get back to me
your idea of critical thinking is to bring in an assistant coach who acts as a babysitter to reign Keefe in when he does something you don't like. That dynamic just doesn't exist in the NHL. It has nothing to do with being a cheerleader, I am just pointing out that your complaint about hiring this assistant coach because he won't calm Keefe down has literally zero merit

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So why will he make the team better?

That is just a question, not a slight or endorsement.

What does he bring that the team is lacking?

I'm stuck in the 1 goal in 7 games loop.

Playoffs PP was absolute trash, but was it the system or players?

One of the most talented teams since Sundin, Mogilny, Tucker, Roberts, but they're lacking Tucker and Roberts.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Newbies are less likely to object to what they find once they get here so they are given priority in hiring.
They don't want to hire an experienced NHL guy who might rock the boat.
This concerns me. They seem reluctant to hire anyone with cache, for an organization with deep pockets. It’s not a good look.

Reactions: fahad203

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This concerns me. They seem reluctant to hire anyone with cache, for an organization with deep pockets. It’s not a good look.

They shelled out the most money for a coach in NHL history and he was a monumental failure that we are currently paying through the nose to not coach our team.

That is not a good look.

Reactions: stickty111

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
They shelled out the most money for a coach in NHL history and he was a monumental failure that we are currently paying through the nose to not coach our team.

That is not a good look.
I agree. They hired the wrong guy in babcock. But that doesn’t mean you go with an all rookie front office. This team is not on a rebuild. This isn’t a learning on the job program.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

That is not a good look.

Babcock wasn't a monumental failure. He gave this team credibility it lacked for years

As you can clearly see, its actually been the players that's been the problem. Not Babcock

I dont remember Babs team losing to a zamboni driver. That would be considered a monumental failure

Babs teams lost to stanly cup winners. No shame in that

This current management both coaches and front office has been the failure

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

That is not a good look.
Yup. Babcock failed pretty badly here. He made the team play an outdated system, and didn't improve the team in any way. We saw how the team started games and that is on the coach. Having the worst PK in the playoffs for 2 years is a monumental failure.

As we saw, Babcock was a huge problem with his disaater PK system. I don't see Keefe having that problem. Having Boston expose that system for 2 years is a momumental failure.
Keefe has lost because they team can't score. No shame in that.

It's funny seeing a user now say Babcock wasn't the problem. No he was a problem.

Reactions: Leafslet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I agree. They hired the wrong guy in babcock. But that doesn’t mean you go with an all rookie front office. This team is not on a rebuild. This isn’t a learning on the job program.

Dubas was an NHL AGM for 4 years, most of which was spent learning under the most experienced GM in the NHL right now. He was not inexperienced. You don't need to have 25 years of experience to be qualified.

It is not different for coaching either.

Case in point, Tampa just won back-to-back Cups with a rookie GM and and rookie coach... And the man who put much of Tampa in place was also a rookie GM.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Babcock wasn't a monumental failure. He gave this team credibility it lacked for years

As you can clearly see, its actually been the players that's been the problem. Not Babcock

I dont remember Babs team losing to a zamboni driver. That would be considered a monumental failure

Babs was fired because the team was playing horrible hockey and was like 25th in the league when he was fired.

We can blame Keefe all we want, but when Babs was fired it was obvious something was not working and he needed to be replaced.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I agree that the players are the problem. That much is obvious when you go through 2 GMs, 2 head coaches, multiple assistant coaching changes and multiple lineup changes over 5 years. But Babcock made a ton of dumb decisions while here.

-Playing washed up Marleau more minutes in a game 7 than your best player and one of the best goal scorers in the league.

- putting Komorov out to start 3on3 OT instead of our young star forwards.

- refusing to change up the goalie situation on back to backs even though our record was well below .500 on the 2nd game of back to backs. I specifically remember him starting Andersen against Columbus the first night and Hutch against the power house Bruins. We ended up losing both games. Wouldn't common sense tell ya to play your better goalie against the better team?

- he refused to play guys like Leivo and Holl even though when they were contributing when in the lineup. Both guys now very serviceable NHLers.

- would sit Spezza, who is a heart and soul Leaf, great on faceoffs and a secondary pp option for Shore? A fringe NHLer

- wouldn't play Matt Martin. We all would love to have Martin back.

- Putting tired players out on the ice for the sake of keeping his match ups he wanted in the playoffs. Bruce Cassidy was asked about match ups and he said he just puts out the freshest legs.

- playing broke back Gardiner decent minutes in the playoffs even though he had a bad back and was clearly not playing effective hockey.

- played Hyman 18+ minutes in the playoffs, putting him out in key situations with a torn ACL that required surgery.

The man was stubborn and was stuck in his ways. When something isn't working, change it up. Our team under Babcock was a run and gun style team that gave up 36 shots a game, and a 3.06 GAA and we had a hard time closing out leads. Fast forward to now, we had a solid defensive team only giving up 27 shots a game and 2.64 goals against. Our PP has been horrible though. If the PP gets going and our star players start playing with some balls we should be advancing in the playoffs. Keefe has shown some tendencies to be like Babcock when it comes to decisions but I would rather be over playing Matthews than someone like Marleau.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

That is not a good look.
Monumental failure? He had a bad stretch of 30 games or so. Don’t forget who coached us to our team record in pts. We used to push contenders to the brink. Now we struggle against bottom feeders

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
your idea of critical thinking is to bring in an assistant coach who acts as a babysitter to reign Keefe in when he does something you don't like. That dynamic just doesn't exist in the NHL. It has nothing to do with being a cheerleader, I am just pointing out that your complaint about hiring this assistant coach because he won't calm Keefe down has literally zero merit

the guy’s out to lunch, dont bother. he wants an assistant who is magically actually the REAL boss, because reasons!

of course if that ever happened then he’ll be upset that our head coach is getting pushed around. ‍♂️

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Hope that's the end of Malholtra. Useless. Zero excuse having that kind of uselessness around.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
What are his teams known for?

Offensive - heavy forecheck or possession.
Defence - trap defense first
Special Teams
Toughness

Would like to hear more…

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Babcock, developed Marner, Matthews, Kapannen, Johnsson, Hyman, Kadri blossomed under him. Matthews and Marner obviously high draft picks, but they performed. Babcock had lots of young guys performing.

I agreed with the firing, because he didn't seem to be playing to the teams strengths and it was obvious that the young core hated him, but he wasn't a failure.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Yup. Babcock failed pretty badly here. He made the team play an outdated system, and didn't improve the team in any way. We saw how the team started games and that is on the coach. Having the worst PK in the playoffs for 2 years is a monumental failure.

As we saw, Babcock was a huge problem with his disaater PK system. I don't see Keefe having that problem. Having Boston expose that system for 2 years is a momumental failure.
Keefe has lost because they team can't score. No shame in that.

It's funny seeing a user now say Babcock wasn't the problem. No he was a problem.
lol
keefe got out coached in back to back years with the same game plan by tortz and montreal. I can understanding critisizing Babcock but dont think its wise using Keefe since he's been worse so far.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Compare Babcock's post-hire interview to how his teams played. He talked up and down about a strong two way possession team and ran a chip and chase offense with a regular chase defense that lived and died by Andersen. If he did what he said he'd do and give us 2008 Detroit's gameplan nobody would have a problem with him. He chose to do a Carlyle impression.

Keefe's starting to do it too a little, must be something in the water.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
lol
keefe got out coached in back to back years with the same game plan by tortz and montreal. I can understanding critisizing Babcock but dont think its wise using Keefe since he's been worse so far.

Keefe hasn't progressed any further than Babcock to this point in terms of playoff results, but he certainly has not been worse. Our team is far more consistent, especially defensively, and we have had similar success without having Andersen cover a lot of his mistakes. It has actually been the opposite since Andersen has been a major liability for much of Keefe's tenure thus far.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Keefe hasn't progressed any further than Babcock to this point in terms of playoff results, but he certainly has not been worse. Our team is far more consistent, especially defensively, and we have had similar success without having Andersen cover a lot of his mistakes. It has actually been the opposite since Andersen has been a major liability for much of Keefe's tenure thus far.

Keefe has been horrible. His numbers look better than what they are because last 48 games he played in North. His team played Ottawa 9 times, Montreal 9 times, a very bad Vancouver team 6 times
His success are very misleading

Babs took a young team during their early years and turned them into competitors. Again, they lost to Stanly cup champions

Defensively that also misleading. Dubas has given Keefe Brodie, Bogo and better goalie tandem than Babs had. Again, when you play offensively neutered teams. like Ottawa, Montreal and Calgary over and over again, you should do well

Babs had to go. His time was up and his play of style was getting to be out dated. But Keefe is a water boy next to Babs.

As much as I hated Babs later years, he is still one of the best coaches this league has ever produced. Keefe hasn't done shit other than look good

Coaches like Babs and his arrogance doens't let him lose to a zamboni driver. Babs had no problem benching Spezza and Modano. he wouldn't have any problem benching Joe or Wayne during playoffs

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Victoria's Carbery continues rise up to NHL as Maple Leafs assistant coach | Times Colonist

AUGUST 1, 2021 06:00 AM

Spencer Carbery of Victoria has bench hopped from the ECHL to the AHL now to the NHL as the newly hired assistant coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“It’s been a crazy few months,” said Carbery, who was named AHL head coach of the year with the Hershey Bears.

“It’s a really exciting opportunity to coach in the NHL with such an historic franchise that has so much of a following.”

The Islander labelled his rise in the coaching ranks as “pretty surreal from where I started out 11 years ago because I never thought about coaching — I was going to go into the financial industry.”

But after his NCAA and then ECHL playing career with Fresno, Stockton, Bakersfield and South Carolina came the coaching offer from South Carolina and the climb began on the bench.

“You learn to grind it out [coaching in the minor pros] and if you treat people the right way, you can succeed in this business,” said Carbery.

Which is exactly what he has done at 39. Carbery worked his way up the minor-pro head coaching chain, successfully guiding the South Carolina Stingrays in the ECHL from 2011 to 2016 with a 207-115-39 record and a trip to Game 7 of the 2015 Kelly Cup final.

Carbery became head coach of the Saginaw Spirit of the major-junior OHL in 2016-17. That led to his first Hockey Canada national team assignment as assistant coach with Team Canada Black for the 2017 World U-17 Hockey Challenge in Dawson Creek and Fort St. John.

After a season as assistant coach in the AHL with the Providence Bruins, Carbery was named head coach of Hershey on June 26, 2018, and led the historic club to a three-season record of 104-50-17, culminating with a 24-7-2 mark for a .758 winning percentage this season, and the nod as AHL coach of the year. That caught the eye of the Maple Leafs, where he will work with the club’s potent corps of forwards. “I will look at the match-ups and react on the bench to the game dynamics to support [head coach] Sheldon Keefe,” said Carbery.

Assistant coach Dean Chynoweth handles the defensive assignments for the Leafs. Former Canucks player Manny Malhotra is also a Maple Leafs assistant coach.

Carbery said he still leans on the lessons he learned from his Island hockey coaches — Jack Hagen and Craig Didmon at Racquet Club, Pete Zubersky with the Peninsula Panthers of the VIJHL and Greg Adams at Cowichan Valley in the BCHL.

“They all helped mould my hockey mind,” said Carbery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->