News Article: Leafs Hire Paul MacLean as Assistant Coach

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Has there been a change in the power dynamics at MLSE? Paul MacLean was a long time Mike Babcock assistant, he even followed Babcock from Anaheim to Detroit. Shanahan has worked with him and Dubas has not.

That's true

Babcock was Detroit's coach with Paul MacLean as his assistant while Shanny was a player on Wings Cup winning team. Shanahan first brought in Babs and now you would think he had a part in bringing in Maclean.. Its even more interesting that Maclean is the eye in the sky assistant so he will be watching the games from the Leafs pressbox with Shanahan & Dubas, providing first hand knowledge.

upload_2020-9-26_6-39-2.jpeg

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Based on qualifications and resume of Leafs current staff.

Head Coach : Paul MacLean
Asst Coact : Sheldon Keefe
Eye in Sky : Manny Maholtra

Paul MacLean was a long time assistant coach working with Mike Babcock and even won a Cup together, so Leafs bringing in some help from the Babcock coaching tree.

View attachment 368980 View attachment 368981
images

In 2013 Paul MacLean wins Jack Adams as Coach of the year

images

Jack Adams Award: Bruce Boudreau vs. Paul MacLean vs. Joel Quenneville
What the bloody hell is this? Who cares?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's true

Babcock was Detroit's coach with Paul MacLean as his assistant while Shanny was a player on Wings Cup winning team. Shanahan first brought in Babs and now you would think he had a part in bringing in Maclean.. Its even more interesting that Maclean is the eye in the sky assistant so he will be watching the games from the Leafs pressbox with Shanahan & Dubas, providing first hand knowledge.

View attachment 368988
So are you praising this move? Weren't you vocal about them needing experienced assistant coaches and it being somewhat cowardly to not hire one in Boudreau?

@justashadowof - Keefe has Paul's son AJ as an assistant coach with the Marlies. I'm sure Keefe and PM have crossed paths during that period and likely have some relationship

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
this is....surprising.

Why not just hire Boudreau though?
It's probably a very good hire based on what I've read. Since Boudreau is still available... how about Sportnet hiring him to do color on their Maple Leafs games. He'd be a massive improvement over 'I will love the Canucks forever' Hughson and 'I can't stand the Leafs' Simpson. What a difference it makes when you have a real professional doing the games... look at the great job Shulman and Martinez do with the Jays... or Devlin and Rautins / Armstrong with the Raptors. Such a pleasure to watch a game when the announcers aren't hating on the home team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fun fact: AJ McLean is his son. AJ McLean was Keefe's main man in SSM and on the Marlies, and McLean is still an assistant with the Marlies.

So there is a built in relationship there already.

Nepotism aside, at least Dubas got a legit NHL coach in the wings if Keefe fails again. I don't mind the man at all.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We said the same when Babcock was brought in

I liked Babcock, the war between him Dubas and Matthews ruined it and we had to move on. He is a good coach there, does weird stuff, they all do though.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
AJ MacLean: assistant coach with the Soo Greyhounds for 2 seasons. Phew! I'm relieved now. This hiring is yet another hiring from within Dubas' tight Soo circle. I foolishly thought Shanahan/Dubas actually went outside that fraternity. I mean what percentage of the hockey world isn't connected to Sault Ste. Marie? 95%?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Th
AJ MacLean: assistant coach with the Soo Greyhounds for 2 seasons. Phew! I'm relieved now. This hiring is yet another hiring from within Dubas' tight Soo circle. I foolishly thought Shanahan/Dubas actually went outside that fraternity. I mean what percentage of the hockey world isn't connected to Sault Ste. Marie? 95%?

It happens everywhere.

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

You realize that like 90% of his staff have no connection to SSM and have never worked for Dubas before the Leafs. There are more guys working here before Dubas even arrived than guys with a direct connection to Dubas.

Keefe, McLean (×2 even though one has not worked for Dubas directly and was a Jack Adams winner), Callairo and Clark.

How many people are on Dubas' staff in total? Like 50+?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This, I'm not so sure yet, but it's Shanahan who knows the guy. This isn't the guy Keefe would choose or Dubas would choose. I don't think Shanahan can out-survive the GM in any way. If Dubas goes down, so does Shanahan. I think this hiring is meant to help everyone but was entirely executed by Shanahan which is not something that happens when the president has full confidence in his GM.

Amazing this is on the same page. The mental gymnastics being done to shit on a move nobody has any clue about is just outstanding.

We hired a former head coach, coach of the year in fact, to be the "eyes in the sky". It may not work out, and truthfully nobody will be able to say it did or didn't unless it's an absolutely trainwreck, so why are people jumping to these insane conclusions?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This hire is Paul Maclean.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like this more and more. You get an experienced coach who can give pointers to Keefe.
There is no downside to this move.

Reactions: Hockey Rush

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad