News Article: Leafs Hire Paul MacLean as Assistant Coach

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I just don't see how a team with Matthews (23), Marner (23), Nylnader (24), Dermott (turning 24 in Dec), Rielly (26) is a team that is win now. The only reason that migh t be the case is because of JT and I just don't believe that

Toronto has Robertson who might be in the top6 by the end of next year
And there is Sandin and Liljegren looking to break into the NHL

I just don't see why Toronto is in a win now mentality, unless this is an issue with you and patience

The Leafs are win now because folks thought our young forwards were like young Kane and Toews, but they are not, nor do our young d men play like Seabrook and Keith...adding Tavares was supposed to put us over-the-top...alas, we're nowhere near good enough. Instead of being like Chicago, we'll be lucky if we end up being like Washington. Tavares is getting older...Matthews and Nylander will be UFAs in 4 years...Marner in 5 years...Rielly needs a contract in 2 years...if not win now, when? If our stars keep squeezing this team out of every penny they could, we might not win anything at all for the next decade...that's sad to think about, but it's reality...so when folks think it's okay to overpay this player a million here and 2 million there, just think what you're really settling for...nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NiftyMits

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I just don't see how a team with Matthews (23), Marner (23), Nylnader (24), Dermott (turning 24 in Dec), Rielly (26) is a team that is win now. The only reason that migh t be the case is because of JT and I just don't believe that

Toronto has Robertson who might be in the top6 by the end of next year
And there is Sandin and Liljegren looking to break into the NHL

I just don't see why Toronto is in a win now mentality, unless this is an issue with you and patience

Simple. Contracts and Cap space. If they fail to make the playoffs again, or, lose in the first round. Not only is Dubas probably shown the door and you will see a shake up regardless, but, even if he stays, it's a certainty that one or two big contracts are moved.

Leafs lost to the Capitals in the First Round in 2017. It's now heading into 2021. Same core, but, no big increase in the Cap on the horizon. Four years of development, or lackthereof, a new coach, a few players shifted around, worse results.

Either this core has it or they don't. Yes, it takes a couple of years to understand what sacrifices are needed, but this is a team with it's core that has shown LESS fight, against weaker teams, 4 years later.

They have to at the very least get out of the First Round. That's an absolute minimum and only if they are very competitive in the Second Round does it make sense to continue with the same nucleus.

What would you suggest they do if they lose again this year? If not in "win now" mode, when are they? They aren't going to be given 15M more to spend to re-build, they have to win now and prove it, or, they have to find cap space via big trades and find the right players. I'd say, it might even be time now, if it means signing a #1D Man.

The playoffs are an entirely different animal. That has not changed since the dawn of the NHL.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It became necessary when an octogenarian with one marble left abandoned the rebuild 60 games in and started squandering valuable pending UFA assets as "own rentals", signed a 38 year old 20 goal forward for $6.25 million over 3 years with a full NMC when the biggest need was defense, gave Zaitsev a crippling 7 year deal after a fluke rookie season, and traded 2nd's on 2 consecutive seasons for 20 games of 4th liners.

That's why. Not Tavares, not the 1st. The 1st was the cost to clean up that absolutely unnecessary signing.
It's never necessary to sign a UFA to 11mil a year for 7 years. Thus, 30 NHL team avoid it every year. Just not our Maple Leafs. Because we know better.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It's never necessary to sign a UFA to 11mil a year for 7 years. Thus, 30 NHL team avoid it every year. Just not our Maple Leafs. Because we know better.

Tavares is a good signing...it's the 3 RFA amigos that got greedy.

Reactions: Jmo89

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is just a beautiful catch by our legendary rear ends sire :clap: I'm clappin real hard out here, standing out giving it hard. Thank you. Brings certain (not too much pressure) for keefe, but also brings back that real veteran precense that so many of our fools and legenda have had. Pat Quinn Rest in peace man. :fire: :cigar:
Y'all remember the ottawa games where walrus coached. He was a legend there, and we hated to see his character and eyes behind that walrus for real. A real son of a chick he was. And now we have him. Also now that he has kept it quiet for a while, it's much more intelligent and smart to bring him NOW back in. He also gives room for keefe, unlike some characters like boudreau would have done. MacLean is different sire. He hard man. A real old school character man. I loves it man. Thank you God and World. We gittin better. Now bring the thugs out!!!

Reactions: al secord

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why the hell they do this?

Someone is getting fired.

Do not like this move. All it is, Shanahan is in self-preservation mode.

That is the Maple Leafs management. They are more interested in their own skin than winning.
Winning is how they would " save their own skins".

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Like the coaching team now... I didnt like not having any experienced coaches and no former “good” nhl players. We now have Maclean, a good veteran coach, Adams winner and former nhl player and Maholtra who was a good respected role player in his time and is a well respected individual in hockey circles. Keefe is well insulated. Think the players will be better listeners with this team.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

That is the Maple Leafs management. They are more interested in their own skin than winning.

They needed a new assistant coach and filled the position with an experienced candidate......

Whats the problem here?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Well that was random.

Can we bring along his look-alike from the seat behind the bench in Ottawa?
R-4068456-1474399682-1206.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: al secord and kb

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
such an hf leafs move to over react to an assistant coach hire. Who TF actually cares?????? what, are you actually worried that he going to teach some of these idiots how to defend???

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I wonder if he will do or say something stupid like Mike Babcock or Bill Peters to get suspended or fired next season

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Has there been a change in the power dynamics at MLSE? Paul MacLean was a long time Mike Babcock assistant, he even followed Babcock from Anaheim to Detroit. Shanahan has worked with him and Dubas has not.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

This, I'm not so sure yet, but it's Shanahan who knows the guy. This isn't the guy Keefe would choose or Dubas would choose. I don't think Shanahan can out-survive the GM in any way. If Dubas goes down, so does Shanahan. I think this hiring is meant to help everyone but was entirely executed by Shanahan which is not something that happens when the president has full confidence in his GM.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think his experience will compliment Keefe and Manny

Based on qualifications and resume of Leafs current staff.

Head Coach : Paul MacLean
Asst Coact : Sheldon Keefe
Eye in Sky : Manny Maholtra

Paul MacLean was a long time assistant coach working with Mike Babcock and even won a Cup together, so Leafs bringing in some help from the Babcock coaching tree.

upload_2020-9-26_6-20-15.jpeg
upload_2020-9-26_6-21-18.jpeg
images

In 2013 Paul MacLean wins Jack Adams as Coach of the year

images

Jack Adams Award: Bruce Boudreau vs. Paul MacLean vs. Joel Quenneville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad