News Article: Leafs Hire Paul MacLean as Assistant Coach

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting that Manny Malhotra has no bench experience and was Vancouver's eye in the sky assistant coach.
&
Paul MacLean has lots of head coach bench experience and will be the Leafs eye in the sky assistant coach.

MacLean led the Senators' coaching staff from 2011-15, guiding them to a 114-90-35 record and a pair of playoff appearances. He won the Jack Adams Award as NHL coach of the year in 2013 after being a finalist for the honour in 2012.

MacLean spent the 2019-20 season as an assistant coach with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He served two stints as an assistant coach with the Anaheim Ducks (2002-04, 2015-17) and was an assistant coach for the Detroit Red Wings from 2005-11, helping them win a Stanley Cup title in 2008.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Interesting that Manny Malhotra has no bench experience and was Vancouver's eye in the sky assistant coach.
&
Paul MacLean has lots of head coach bench experience and will be the Leafs eye in the sky assistant coach.

MacLean led the Senators' coaching staff from 2011-15, guiding them to a 114-90-35 record and a pair of playoff appearances. He won the Jack Adams Award as NHL coach of the year in 2013 after being a finalist for the honour in 2012.

MacLean spent the 2019-20 season as an assistant coach with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He served two stints as an assistant coach with the Anaheim Ducks (2002-04, 2015-17) and was an assistant coach for the Detroit Red Wings from 2005-11, helping them win a Stanley Cup title in 2008.
Maybe Manny was mainly hired to be the ref during practice since the league banned Leafs from doing so, lol.

You did brought up an interesting point.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
paul-maclean.jpg

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of power plays and right hand D’s
And too many soft right wings..."
Hahaha lol

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Ouch! That's got to feel like a slap to the face and a kick to the _ _ _ s for Boudreau. We're both experienced coaches, "why would the Leafs choose him but not me"?Boudreau must be thinking.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Ouch! That's got to feel like a slap to the face and a kick to the _ _ _ s for Boudreau. We're both experienced coaches, "why would the Leafs choose him but not me"?Boudreau must be thinking.

He wants to be a head coach and would probably bolt at the first opportunity
Good hire!

Reactions: Cams

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
A big concern I had was Keefe's lack of expsrience; so, I'm on board with this and I'm glad they're targeting the correct problems..now fix the D.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Well, slow offseason is bit of a misnomer considering the Cup hasn't even been decided yet, and, we've already traded a decent player for a 1st Rounder and a potential regular for next year.

I think Leafs will be active and in "win now" mode. They have to use their organizational wealth to their advantage in uncertain times. Every advantage, especially in a Cap environment must be exploited.

I just don't see how a team with Matthews (23), Marner (23), Nylnader (24), Dermott (turning 24 in Dec), Rielly (26) is a team that is win now. The only reason that migh t be the case is because of JT and I just don't believe that

Toronto has Robertson who might be in the top6 by the end of next year
And there is Sandin and Liljegren looking to break into the NHL

I just don't see why Toronto is in a win now mentality, unless this is an issue with you and patience

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I just don't see how a team with Matthews (23), Marner (23), Nylnader (24), Dermott (turning 24 in Dec), Rielly (26) is a team that is win now. The only reason that migh t be the case is because of JT and I just don't believe that

Toronto has Robertson who might be in the top6 by the end of next year
And there is Sandin and Liljegren looking to break into the NHL

I just don't see why Toronto is in a win now mentality, unless this is an issue with you and patience
Agreed. Makes you wonder why the Tavares signing was necessary along with trading away a 1st round pick last year.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Why the hell they do this?

Someone is getting fired.

Do not like this move. All it is, Shanahan is in self-preservation mode.

That is the Maple Leafs management. They are more interested in their own skin than winning.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Why the hell they do this?

Someone is getting fired.

Do not like this move. All it is, Shanahan is in self-preservation mode.

That is the Maple Leafs management. They are more interested in their own skin than winning.

ya no one likes hiring former coaches of the year to be assistants. Def the untouchable president worrying about his untouchable job

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Sheldon Keefes eventual replacement

hes 62 and as people have suggested - overweight. This is probably his final job and the fact he’s gonna be an advisor in the press box means he’s definitely not Keefe a replacement. Add in that his son works for the Leafs and yeah ..

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed. Makes you wonder why the Tavares signing was necessary along with trading away a 1st round pick last year.
It became necessary when an octogenarian with one marble left abandoned the rebuild 60 games in and started squandering valuable pending UFA assets as "own rentals", signed a 38 year old 20 goal forward for $6.25 million over 3 years with a full NMC when the biggest need was defense, gave Zaitsev a crippling 7 year deal after a fluke rookie season, and traded 2nd's on 2 consecutive seasons for 20 games of 4th liners.

That's why. Not Tavares, not the 1st. The 1st was the cost to clean up that absolutely unnecessary signing.

Last edited:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
ya no one likes hiring former coaches of the year to be assistants. Def the untouchable president worrying about his untouchable job
How did Randy Carlyle get his job coaching the Leafs?

After he was fired from Anaheim, all he did was watch games from the press box. He made notes on all teams.

Guess who is making notes on the team now?

Plus the fact, that Shanahan fired Carlyle when the Leafs were in a playoff position.

The fact is Shanahan fired Babcock, after that coach guided the team to set regular season records.

The current coach and GM did not even make the playoffs.

And there is someone in the press box looking over the current GM and coach's shoulder.

This is an accident or firing, waiting to happen.

That is the way the world works.

What Shanahan is doing is good for himself. That may not be good for the Leafs organization.

Reactions: justashadowof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad